Assetto Corsa: Tech Preview 0.99 Now Available

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Assetto Corsa: Tech Preview 0.99 Now Available

A new version of the popular Assetto Corsa Tech Preview has been released by Kunos Simulazioni bringing the PC simulation up-to-date with version 0.99 which can be downloaded from the game website. This version includes one car, one track, various difficulty levels and two game-play modes: free practice and time attack.

Besides the improved gameplay the development team added 18 news official car skins for the Lotus Elise SC and support for pretty much all available controllers....
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited:
How can you conclude that from 1 car on 1 track with virtually no car setup options?
Funny.

It doesn't take a gazillion cars to assest what a simulation feels like, unless the devs cut corners on some cars (Like what pCars and rFactor 2 have been doing, apparently), and the Lotus definitely isn't botched, it feels exactly how a lightweight mid-engined road car should feel. Don't forget it also has high performance tyres and more agressive suspension, which makes it snappier than a normal version.

I find most people who finds flaws on what are widely regarded as very good sim cars just plainly don't know what they should feel, or are terrible drivers (Which can or can not be a result of the first reason).

Funny.

It doesn't take a gazillion cars to assest what a simulation feels like, unless the devs cut corners on some cars (Like what pCars and rFactor 2 have been doing, apparently), and the Lotus definitely isn't botched, it feels exactly how a lightweight mid-engined road car should feel. Don't forget it also has high performance tyres and more agressive suspension, which makes it snappier than a normal version.

I find most people who finds flaws on what are widely regarded as very good sim cars just plainly don't know what they should feel, or are terrible drivers (Which can or can not be a result of the first reason).
Ok you're right, I have no idea how a car should be driven or how it should feel!! *shakes head*
You have no idea what driving experience I have in my 44 years of life. I take offence to your remarks, I was simple giving MY opinion on MY experience of a WIP sim.

Ok you're right, I have no idea how a car should be driven or how it should feel!! *shakes head*
You have no idea what driving experience I have in my 44 years of life. I take offence to your remarks, I was simple giving MY opinion on MY experience of a WIP sim.
Aaaaaaaaaaaand someone else has an ego the size of a building, yeeeeah, joy.

Look, figure your wheel out because obviously you're doing something wrong, everyone who isn't a fanboy from some other sim agree that the sim feels awesome. As I said, what you think you should feel through simulated FFB might be completely off leading you to not being quite able to drive properly.

Ultimately, we are all entitled to our opinions aren't we?

Even with his wheel perfectly setup and sound knowledge of driving real cars, Justin can feel that AC isn't as realistic as other sims. In the end it is all feeling and opinion and very little facts. It just happens to be that a lot of people feel the TP offers very realistic driving.

Nothing wrong with a different opinion though. Keep an open mind guys! There is no right or wrong here.

So far you've accused me of being an egotistic fanboy who is a useless driver! What kind of reaction do you expect in your neck of the woods? You need to get off your high horse mate! I was simply sharing my opinion on it, I wasn't suggesting anyone or everyone had to agree with me. Get some sleep mate.
Will you stop trying your best to get insulted ?

Right, I shall try again. What wheel do you have ?

Requiem84, a car feels like a car, so yes, there is right and wrong in that case...

G27
Stop being insulting then. If you want to give me sound advice I'm more than prepared to listen.
Here:

LOGITECH G25/G27
(tested and suggested by Aristotelis Vasilakos)
In Logitech Panel
Overall effects strength: 100%
Spring effects strength: 0%
Damper effects Strength: 10% (Play with this value according to your tastes)
Centering: 0%
Degrees: 900
Allow game to adjust settings CHECKED
Combined Pedals MUST BE DISABLED

In AC -> Controls -> Advanced
Force Feedback Gain: 80%

Also, sorry I sound rude, but yeah, I get slightly ermmmmmm.... Agitated when I feel people have their stuff set-up wrong and then complain about a sim that is in fact pretty darn good... Heck, even stuff like Field of View can put you off when it's adjusted wrong.

Here:

LOGITECH G25/G27
(tested and suggested by Aristotelis Vasilakos)
In Logitech Panel
Overall effects strength: 100%
Spring effects strength: 0%
Damper effects Strength: 10% (Play with this value according to your tastes)
Centering: 0%
Degrees: 900
Allow game to adjust settings CHECKED
Combined Pedals MUST BE DISABLED

In AC -> Controls -> Advanced
Force Feedback Gain: 80%

Also, sorry I sound rude, but yeah, I get slightly ermmmmmm.... Agitated when I feel people have their stuff set-up wrong and then complain about a sim that is in fact pretty darn good... Heck, even stuff like Field of View can put you off when it's adjusted wrong.

Cheers, I'll have a go at these settings and hopefully it'll change my mind. I'm definitely not a fanboy of any particular genre, sim or game and just love sim racing in general and I'll go where the majority goes if it's gonna get me some decent online racing. I'm equally disappointed in R3e and rfactor 2 but for totally different reasons.

Driving a car well is all about feeling the car under you which of course is the most difficult thing to simulate. I can't feel it with this car whereas I can with other cars in other sims.
Everyone has their preferences, I'm just saying its not my cup of tea. I'm most definitely not saying AC is rubbish. I haven't seen enough to make a decision like that.
I have to say, I honestly agree with EVERYTHING you said about A.C.
I find it worrying that sometimes, if you give an opinion on a forum, there is not a respectful differing of opinion but a an arrogant response in ridiculing your own opinion.
Often this is from people who have never driven a lotus elise - how many honestly have on here? Throw in the mix another sim to explain your thoughts (e.g. rfactor 2) and the ridicule is even greater. lets face it, RD respects everyone's opinion as much as the next but some don't and then the forum descends into a slanging match and a locked thread.fortunetely, not everyone is like that...

my opinion - I have waited like everyone else, eagerly, for the sim of 2013 to come forward.
I really like rfactor 2. Even though it is still lacking somethings such as crash physics, it has excellent driving physics and road feel. the connection of pedal feel and road vibration is unmatched. Problem is, not enough have caught the bug. It's been in beta too long and got a negative reputation. So as the racing clubs have not been full too often, I waited for AC. I bought Netkar Pro which felt pretty good physics wise! I expected amazing things - if only the graphics are better in AC (I thought) then this could be special.
In truth, I found the tech preview to be a lot like Forza. That's not all a bad thing and we know how Forza has had a great following. However, for me, it's not the full sim and I'm just crossing my fingers it will be changed by the time of full release. The graphics are better than rfactor 2. THe tracks are lazer scanned. There will be cars that we've always dreamt of driving - ferrari's (wait, don't tell me, most of these "experts" have already driving the ferrari's?). Problem is, the braking is unrealistic. My gf's Hyundai Getz can accelerate to 80mph easily and deccelerate quicker than the lotus elise (abs should help if anything) and the understeer...I concur with Justin. I hear it's meant to be an understeery car. Well, if it had that amount of understeer at 40mph, I wouldn't be paying out money for it, even if I won the lottery. The issues with forza are the issues with AC (for me). The ffb and steering going lighter at speed are better than forza. That's it. There has been a lot of hype about this SIM. It will be good fun. It will have masses of members joining the racing clubs - I hope so. Kunos have teased us a little (who can blame them?) and now they have us like putty in their hands, waiting to buy. Begging. Throwing money at the screen. It's going to be a hit.

I will buy it regardless because I see a lot of fun in it. I just hope that the understeer and braking aren't the same in other cars. Things like that might be the difference between people buying it and playing it for 1 year or playing it for 5 years.

Couple of questions: Why did people stop playing forza? When is this sim due out now? Initially it was end of 2012, Then 1st quarter 2013... and there is a demo due before the full release?:-S

I'm excited but I won't rave about something until I have the final product and it all makes sense. The flip side is, I will be paying out my hard earned money, so I have the right to an opinion regardless of what other "experts" say. Oh, and I have driven a range of real cars all with brakes which work in a similar way - all which steer where I want them to go - very responsive- and they weren't all 1.1 litres ! Cheers and feel free to disagree (with respect) but don't think I will necessarily agree with you response "Whoever you are".:confused:;)

In a lot of cases, people over-drive the car, they also tend to over-turn the wheel, leading to some pretty severe understeer (and snap oversteer in powerful cars as they ease off and find grip again). An Elise is very light at the front, you almost have to forget everything you know about driving a normally balanced car and start from scratch again, quite like the older 911's. If you want to go fast that is.

Braking is excellent too, I don't really know what you are experiencing in that matter. Quite possibly, as often happens, you are under-estimating just how quick you are going, due to lack of awareness staring at a monitor, not having the G loads, a realistic sense of speed, etc...

Simracing is extremely complex, and it's easy to find yourself lost if some of your hardware and in-game settings aren't set-up properly. It's probably a massive reason as to why it isn't more popular.

In a lot of cases, people over-drive the car, they also tend to over-turn the wheel, leading to some pretty severe understeer (and snap oversteer in powerful cars as they ease off and find grip again). An Elise is very light at the front, you almost have to forget everything you know about driving a normally balanced car and start from scratch again, quite like the older 911's. If you want to go fast that is.

Braking is excellent too, I don't really know what you are experiencing in that matter. Quite possibly, as often happens, you are under-estimating just how quick you are going, due to lack of awareness staring at a monitor, not having the G loads, a realistic sense of speed, etc...

Simracing is extremely complex, and it's easy to find yourself lost if some of your hardware and in-game settings aren't set-up properly. It's probably a massive reason as to why it isn't more popular.

Sim racing is more difficult than real racing. Real racing you have all your senses about you, evaluating whats going on, hell even your ass is giving you feedback lol. Sim racing you have your eyes, ears and some synthetic feedback through some motors on your wheel and that is only ever going to be as good as it's programmed to be.... No matter how good or bad I, me or joe bloggs feels the car is, you learn to deal with the tool you've been given...
I don't like the feel of it but I will learn to put it to reasonable use.

Andrew, you are suprised that at 40mph you got understeer while turning into a tight corner? Have you ever drove a car? When you turn violontly at this speed you got tons of understeer.
Ypu should probably post a video of you driving in AC, maybe you are doing something horribly wrong. Because when elise is driven properly you don't get understeer.

[...] Everyone has their preferences, I'm just saying its not my cup of tea. I'm most definitely not saying AC is rubbish. I haven't seen enough to make a decision like that.

A question then and please, I am not trying to offend you. Why don't you ignore AC. Go for a lookout to find your "cup of tea" instead of stirring the pot. You could have expected the (partly biased) reaction you get now by coming here (into the AC forum) and putting your opinions for a tech preview down. Call something into question and you have to defend yourself. Anyway at least you could have waited with your impressions until the final product has been released (a demo will be released too).

The latter is what I am doing. Anyway who would care about personal opinions anyway. Take it or leave it.

Just to say... telling old tales about the difference between reality and sim-environment is not necessary I believe. Please let us not getting started with that.

A question then and please, I am not trying to offend you. Why don't you ignore AC. Go for a lookout to find your "cup of tea" instead of stirring the pot. You could have expected the (partly biased) reaction you get now by coming here (into the AC forum) and putting your opinions for a tech preview down. At least you could have waited with your impressions until the final product has been released (a demo will be released too).

The latter is what I am doing. Anyway who would care about personal opinions anyway. Take it or leave it.

I'll quote my original post,

"As much as I try and as much as I want to, I can't like this car, the physics, the FORZA wheel screeching...Hopefully the full release has cars in it better suited to my taste. Not a RWD fan, some cars are nice, the Megane in rF2 for example."

Where there am I putting down AC? I do believe I used the words "better suited to my taste". I didn't say anywhere that AC is bad and was putting it down....wrong end of the stick my friend.
I will keep my opinions to myself in future.

Andrew, you are suprised that at 40mph you got understeer while turning into a tight corner? Have you ever drove a car? When you turn violontly at this speed you got tons of understeer.
Ypu should probably post a video of you driving in AC, maybe you are doing something horribly wrong. Because when elise is driven properly you don't get understeer.
did i say a sharp corner? :cautious:
actually, i've been told that the lotus elise should be understeery by many experts.
my driving style is now pretty smooth. you are taught to have gradual inputs on everything - braking, steering, line etc. i do recall one successful guy in the top 30 tt times for AC recommending that people drive at apex and try to spin back end around - trying to induce oversteer.
personally, i try to steer with as little steering as possible. however, you seem to need to apply massive amounts of lock to get the car to turn - even with steering rotation at 360 degrees.

p.s. no, I have never "drove" a car :roflmao:

A question then and please, I am not trying to offend you. Why don't you ignore AC. Go for a lookout to find your "cup of tea" instead of stirring the pot. You could have expected the (partly biased) reaction you get now by coming here (into the AC forum) and putting your opinions for a tech preview down. Call something into question and you have to defend yourself. Anyway at least you could have waited with your impressions until the final product has been released (a demo will be released too).

Just to say... telling old tales about the difference between reality and sim-environment is not necessary I believe. Please let us not getting started with that.

i don't understand this. surely whilst some people like ac and some people arent' fully happy with it...surely there are some people who want to know what others think e.g. those who haven't tried the game or the preview - or those who have and not sure if they are feeling/sensing what others are? by reading differing opinions, you get to see if they match your own. there can be some use in that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back