Assetto Corsa: Steam Pre-Order Price 40-45 Euro

RaceDepartment

Administrator
Staff
Last edited by a moderator:
Will we be able to pre-order on Kunos website like NKP? I have Steam but I prefer being able to download a solid copy so I can make a backup. My ISP is kinda lame and I don't feel like downloading the game several times in the future after hdd format, upgrading pc or to even lose the game if something happens to my Steam account like a ban, hack or password lost etc.. Thanks in advance!

I still don't get why some have so many problems with Steam. I am using it since 2004 on several PC's over that time without even a single problem at all in 9 years.

And my previous comments: Maybe they were a bit drastic but maybe people should try to fix their own problems before calling everything crap. There are 68 million Steam accounts to date and when there would exist so many problems we would hear about them everywhere.

Totally agree Chronus. Hope that my post wasn't read as getting personal. If so, my apologies as it wasn't meant like that at all :)

Definitely not you Bram, far from it & no need to apologize!
Actually it was Kaminski & Hornbuckle that really got my blood boiling...
Actually I've been off putting together slowly a full on rant of my own but thankfully its taken so long & a couple of builder friends on FB have managed to get me grinning again before I got myself permanently deleted...
Thanks guys, you know who you are & thank you too Chronus, you've had troubles yourself & are much more knowledgeable on the subject.
I think now I'll just copy off to a txt file what Ive written for deleting in a few day & bow out now from this thread to save any more off-topic-ness... ;)

I still don't get why some have so many problems with Steam. I am using it since 2004 on several PC's over that time without even a single problem at all in 9 years.

And my previous comments: Maybe they were a bit drastic but maybe people should try to fix their own problems before calling everything crap. There are 68 million Steam accounts to date and when there would exist so many problems we would hear about them everywhere.

It's not so much whats wrong with it, it's when things go wrong there's no real way of getting anything fixed or done about it.
It's like Steam thinks, "Well, we have your money & there's 68million others so go rot, we don't care", click, "And here's a generic message"
Then if you try to engage legal assistance in recouping compensation for costs of repairs your stonewalled & your account is cancelled...

... your stonewalled & your account is cancelled...
Won't you mind if I ask in what circumstances your account was deleted? Because it is quite scary (I have put some money into steam). And to be honest I don't think it's common because as I heard even cheaters don't get their accounts closed (they are only banned from multiplayer parts of their games).
Also I think it would be hard to prove that Steam destroyed your hardware. Like all applications it uses some of windows api to create files and as I know there is no "MessUpPC" function. So if it was simple harddrive failure blame is on manufacturer (if it was under warranty ofc).

And you are right there are many valid reason to hate Steam. It is DRM (so there is one more thing that stands between you and your game), customer support is lacking. But it's hard to judge service without looking into positives especially when there are as many. It's hard to argue against Steam when software is 75% off and I can buy 2 AAA titles for 7 euro. Also it is great for developers because you have massive customer base that will know about your game existence without need to spend millions on marketing.
But still if I had to chose between sites like gog.com (no DRM games) and Steam I would pick first option.

It's a shame if some of you seriously won't buy AC if steam is required. Personally, if I have the option to buy something off a place like GOG.com and Steam, I would rather get the Steam version. I like to have all of my digital purchases in the same place if possible, and Steam is much less likely to go bottom-up than a place like GOG.com. So I feel safe that I won't just lose them if there are company problems.

It's a shame if some of you seriously won't buy AC if steam is required. Personally, if I have the option to buy something off a place like GOG.com and Steam, I would rather get the Steam version. I like to have all of my digital purchases in the same place if possible, and Steam is much less likely to go bottom-up than a place like GOG.com. So I feel safe that I won't just lose them if there are company problems.
You mean you rather like buying a game on a service that can cut out your games at anytime rather than a website that sell DRM-Free copies that you can backup & that you can re-download an infinite number of time? Well it's your life but I sure hope we will continue to have the freedom to choose what's best for us. By definition we are supposed to own something we buy, if it's just a privilege that is subject to be arbitrary shut down at anytime then the term buying feels misleading. And for the person that mentioned 68 millions a few post above, more than this play farmville so numbers are not always the best references! I'm not a Steam hater, I think it's a great service that keeps your game up to date plus many more. I just don't like the idea to depend of this service for games that we bought. Peace out! And no matter the DRM or not, what matters is that we enjoy the game itself at the end!

You mean you rather like buying a game on a service that can cut out your games at anytime rather than a website that sell DRM-Free copies that you can backup & that you can re-download an infinite number of time? Well it's your life but I sure hope we will continue to have the freedom to choose what's best for us. By definition we are supposed to own something we buy, if it's just a privilege that is subject to be arbitrary shut down at anytime then the term buying feels misleading. And for the person that mentioned 68 millions a few post above, more than this play farmville so numbers are not always the best references! I'm not a Steam hater, I think it's a great service that keeps your game up to date plus many more. I just don't like the idea to depend of this service for games that we bought. Peace out! And no matter the DRM or not, what matters is that we enjoy the game itself at the end!

I have never been cut out of my games, nor do I expect it would ever happen.

Regarding owning the thing we buy, it is true that buying something on steam is more like buying a lifetime lease, since we do not have the option to resell it. However, have you seen the prices and discounts of the games on steam? They are very competitively priced and go on big sales quite often. I am talking 50-75% off. Games that you buy and own, such as a ps3 game can stay at $60 for over a year and hardly ever go on sale. And when they do, you are lucky if they are 15% off. I think that more than makes up for not being able to resell them.

Regarding the DRM, you have to know that a lot of companies feel that they need some form of DRM. Steam's DRM has never really been very intrusive to me, and by being on steam, the game companies can use Steam's non-intrusive DRM rather than some other more intrusive DRM such as SecureROM or always-online type stuff.

Of course, I see nothing wrong with buying things outside of steam. But personally, I would be 1 hard drive fail or lost disc away from no longer having access to the game I want to play if I had to handle keeping backups myself. And I really don't understand how some people can dislike steam so much that they would boycott a game like Assetto Corsa.

I am using Steam since it exists (September 2003), not one single problem... They even refunded me a game after buying which I didn't like or better just had problems with...

I do realize that Steam does have it problems, like any platform or software... But as soon as you downloaded a game like Assetto Corsa switch to offline mode and don't ever worry about Steam again, you don't even need to start Steam ever again. If you get a new hdd/pc just copy your whole Steam folder to your new hdd/pc and you are done. You don't even need to redownload the game, it is that easy....

Kunos never said it is Steam exclusive, they know that most sim racers (who know Kunos and their previous work) probably never used Steam atleast for sim racing, so I wouldn't worry to much about it... Just wait and start bitching about it when they say it is Steam exclusive :roflmao:

PS.: You know what the hardest part will be, usually when you pre-order on Steam you can pre-download the game which means that you actually have the game on your HDD but it will only be unlocked on release date... That will be the biggest AC torture ever :D

Sure its nice to have your own boxed copy for collection or for people that want a independent boxed game might want to trade or just like a feeling of ownership (even though even with a box you only ever own a licence) .

I got the impression that kunos will use there own logging system in which case I don't see why they would not also sell there own boxed version , but at the same time there are benefits from being steam only and only using the steam DRM.

Its just going to be down to kunos and what they perceive to be of most value to them. In the end Steam has far more positives than negatives for both developers and the end user I was an original steam beta user and was at first resistant but steam is like the Borg resistance is futile.

Negative
1) Slow technical support
2) Have to have steam running to access your game
3) Have to remember to set to offline mode if you are without internet
4) No box or physical manual for collectors
5) Possibility that steam would disappear in the future or be overtaken by some insane company
6) Slow Browser
7) Annoying when in 5 years time each publisher also has there own steam like system (see origin)

Positives
1) Automatic updating of games
2) Incredible sales
3) All games in one place easy to install generally no CD key registering nonsense
4) Aside from downloading game and being on internet to get game no obtrusive DRM
5) Amazing community features
6) Incredibly stable , very easy to fix ( re-download / delete claint reg.blob)
7) Steam workshop allows mod makers to monetise content and distribute it in a fair way
8) Fair prices for developers + steam actively supports indie studios
9) Gabe Newell

Those who don't want to use steam that's grate , it would be nice for kunos to provide an option but I don't think anyone has made any really valid arguments other than "I DONT LIKE STEAM" as to why they would not use it. Also as said before there are massive advantages being steam only as you can better integrate things like steam workshop and other community steam features. Joining onto a friend or managing leagues through steam groups would be a massive feature for many sim-racers that simply don't have time for full league organisation and time schedules.

Even if you are anti an aspect of steam you would still have to admit it has been a massively positive influence on the games industry and the art form of games.

Also £35 is a good price , I hope they also take advantage of steam sales and stupid s**t like TF2 hats. To get the baulk of steam users to pick up a copy.

But as soon as you downloaded a game like Assetto Corsa switch to offline mode and don't ever worry about Steam again, you don't even need to start Steam ever again

Totally untrue,

Firstly, some games do require Steam to be launched. Shift2 didn't, but race07 required Steam to be launched. Other games work the same way.

Secondly, you do need to reconnect to the internet from time to time. It didn't use to be like this; prior to 2013, I could remain offline for months and not lose credentials. Now, that is no longer the case, you need to reconnect to "refresh credentials".

Curiously, Steam say this behaviour was already in effect in 2012 (here's a transcript of a post to a Steam customer

"Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

As the offline credentials expire after some time, you will have to connect to Steam occasionally to refresh them.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you."

I wonder why some of you persist in providing erroneous information when you are obviously not well informed.
surely its quite simple, if you dont like steam, dont use it, throwing negativity around on the forums is just a waste of your time and ours........nuff said

Quite a few of us wanted to discuss this (with Bram's and other Moderators' permission), as this thread relates Steam and AC. Surely it is quite simply, if you don't like this discussion you don't need to post here, throwing negativity towards those that are discussing this is just a waste of anyone's time (not yours, for sure).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%