Assetto Corsa: Steam Pre-Order Price 40-45 Euro

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Last edited by a moderator:
How this type of post is tolerated here or elsewhere is a mystery. :thumbsdown:

Lee Knight ,

Steam is a source of trouble for a lot of people (check NoGrip's SIMBIN subforum threads, in particular one with a link posted for the resolution of many different problems), but given the decisions by devs/publishers to follow that path there is nothing we (simracers) can do - other than refuse to purchase these games/sims (which some of us already have done).

Gday Chronus, Ive been in & replied in some of those threads at NG & I only wish that those that attack so vehemently would look around a bit, possibly even in those threads, to see that some of us do have genuine concerns...
But frankly it's gotten to the point that Ive all but given up on trying to provide the information or relevant links for them as it's often ignored for another swipe on the those that don't conform to those views.
There is a term for it but I won't use it as Im not out inflame things further, Im just trying to find out what I can from where I can.
Thanks for you reply here too Chronus

Steam is a source of trouble for a lot of people

Is it Steam or the people? I tend to believe the latter to be honest. Quick query on Steam+Problem on this site and the majority of the problems are caused by end-users that don't have proper hardware (or legitimate games, surprise) and blame Steam for it.

People that modify their games without any knowledge what they are actually doing is also a great excuse to blame Steam :)

For any problems with Steam I always recommend the following and I still need to run into the first person for which it doesnt work:
  • Delete the particular game folder in which the steam game is installed entirely
  • Restart Steam
  • Start the game
  • Game is now being unpacked with the original files without having to download all the content again.
  • Works :)

Is it Steam or the people? I tend to believe the latter to be honest. Quick query on Steam+Problem on this site and the majority of the problems are caused by end-users that don't have proper hardware (or legitimate games, surprise) and blame Steam for it.

All my Simbin programs came from Steam & was legitimately paid for.
A mate put me onto them when I first got into sim-racing on PC's...
He too has no trouble with Steam & both of us are confounded by the troubles I had.
In the end it was easier to give up & just feel slightly jealous of others & very upset with money lost to Steam which I've now given up on...
But this is getting off-topic now & all I was after was an answer which has been more than Ive had from the guys at Kunos & I again thank you for...

How is that blackmailing?
Fine, you don't have to download my tracks, if I choose to release them, Im not forcing you to just as Im not being forced to use Steam.
It's not just me either, there's a few others out there that have been burnt by them as well...
It's not really an attitude, but your response seems to me as though I HAVE to release my tracks.
I don't.
I could just make them for myself & pass about amongst friends if I so choose to as with any other track or mod builder.
What is an attitude is claiming Im blackmailing & leaving me feeling as though Im being attacked for merely asking a couple of reasonable questions...

I don't care if you release them or not tbh.

It's just your childish behavior "Release it outside of Steam or you don't get ...." which leads to my comments.

Lee Knight

Try the procedure in my previous post (bulletpoints) and I am sure it will work for you as well if your hardware matches the minimum requirements.
In case you have missed an update or patch you can also force Steam to update your installation by trying this
  • Write down your Steam username and password
  • Delete the two .blob files in your Steam folder
  • Close Steam completely
  • Start Steam
  • Fill in your credentials
  • Update is now forced
Hope it helps.
Lets get back to the original topic indeed :)

I don't care if you release them or not tbh.

It's just your childish behavior "Release it outside of Steam or you don't get ...." which leads to my comments.

Where did I say "Release it outside of Steam or you don't get ...."?
I asked "will Assetto Corsa be made available in any other way than upon Steam?"
Maybe I should have said/typed will there be alternative options as well as Steam....
But that's slightly longer & it's now 5am here.
I was hoping that I could just ask this question & head for bed but no I'm stuck here trying to fix what has been misconstrued by some or having a reasonable conversation with a couple of others & worried about how the thread has gone off topic due to my question.
Besides which, if I can't download Assetto Corsa due to my views & stance on Steam then how can I still release tracks for A-C as I'd need the tool pack that comes with the game?
How is that childish? (rhetorical question there)

Now, I've gotten all the answers Im likely to get that are of help, unless someone from Kunos (& much more in the know) is likely to answer as well, Ive thanked those that did answer the questions I asked, so how about we let this thread get back on topic as I feel truly horrid when Im the cause of derailed threads.
Thank you.

P.S/edit, My apologies Bram, you were quicker on the keyboard than I... ;)

A quick reply before going back on topic...

Is it Steam or the people? I tend to believe the latter to be honest.

Sure, there are people who know little about Steam, tinker with it and complain foul, "steam is a piece of crap". That does not mean that the complaints from the rest aren't legitimate.

Do a quick search at NG or Steam-related forums and you'll understand that a lot of people are actually knowledgeable enough not to tinker with Steam or if they tinker with it they don't cause trouble by doing so. For these people, what happens is easily justifiable through the myriad of troubles caused by steam dlls, executables, scripts, updates, crashes. If you take to the trouble of reading through the updates info, you'll see that without any doubt Steam has had and still has its long share of problems.

And I'm not talking about from the perspective of the developer, but from the perspective of a steam customer. Developers using Steam have their own share of troubles, as I was recently made aware of.

It is beyond me however why some people (as exemplified right here in this thread) get personal with someone complaining about Steam. Democracy and free speech shouldn't mean the freedom to attack people just because they think differently.

I'm sure that the game will be available for purchase at places outside of steam. However, that does not mean that it will not require steam to be installed in order to use.

One of the features that Kunos mentioned wanting to take advantage of if they got on steam was steamworks. If it does use steamworks, I am pretty sure that the game will run through steam.

That being said, steam is a great service and I have never experienced problems with it. And steamworks gives a lot of potential for streamlining how mods are managed and distributed.

So you ripped off a track and converted it to race07 and it was so messed up that simply deleting it destroyed your hard drive? Think I'll stay away from your mods, thanks.

Good thing for you a while back Kunos said that you will still be able to buy AC as a direct download from them (you know, like how you got the TP) and probably even a way to buy an actual physical disk. Unless they specifically say that Steam is the only way to buy AC I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I guess its like the people that decided modding wouldn't be allowed for AC because they hadn't heard anything about it in a while and Kunos had to reassure them that modding would still be a part of the game. Same goes for the people that decided a career mode meant the entire game will be dumbed down. Waiting for something you want sucks, but that doesn't meant that in your frustration you should make up reasons to not want the product you are waiting for.

If for some reason we get word that Steam is the only way to get AC then feel free to cry about the evil hard drive destroying Steam to anyone that will listen; but until then use a little common sense and go with what Kunos have already said even if it was a while ago that they said it.

[...] It's just your childish behavior "Release it outside of Steam or you don't get ...." which leads to my comments.

This is not only very ignorant of you but also unneeded and a waste of time to read. Instead you could be more supportive and maybe help your fellow sim-racer.

Just to say I created a steam account many years ago and shied away from it because of personal reservations until recently. I don't think it is that bad, quite the contrary but one surely has to be careful what to buy there and what not. Anyway if Assetto Corsa will be released outside of Steam, than this will be my source of choice. No need to have a third party in between.

Sadly, pre-order is not a choice for me since I won't be able to race for another year. I just hope that I won't be left behind by Kunos as a customer (who adores the software but won't buy it at release day) when it comes to download content.

Marcel, I would have to think that once AC has been out for a year there will be two or three DLC packs that you can buy if you want the content, probably a couple of free sim updates and a slew of mods to choose from...So far at least there hasn't been any content mentioned that is only for day one purchasers.

It is beyond me however why some people (as exemplified right here in this thread) get personal with someone complaining about Steam. Democracy and free speech shouldn't mean the freedom to attack people just because they think differently.

Totally agree Chronus. Hope that my post wasn't read as getting personal. If so, my apologies as it wasn't meant like that at all :)

No, clearly not you Bram. As Lee said, you tried to understand and help out. That, in my opinion, rates very high.

My comment was related to another poster above.

--

Anyway, regarding Steam and Asseto Corsa:
I have been a long time admirer of Stefano for his work on NetKar, and I really believe that between him, Marco and Aris something really memorable is brewing with AC.

That said, unless AC is also released outside of Steam, I will not purchase it, much to my regret, just as I will not buy another sim via Steam. I started out as a supporter of Steam, but due to (a) several persistent problems and (b) Steam's poor customer support, staying away from Steam has now become both a necessity and a matter of principle (well, aside from being stuck with it due to SIMBIN's Race07).

The same could be said, I'm sure, about Steam's competitors (Origin, for instance). Nice platforms in principle, but just waiting to explode with a cascade of problems. Those that haven't been affected by it (I was one of you, meh) will be, sooner or later. And judging from the responses many of us have gotten to our queries (to Steam and Valve), I'm sure they don't care at all.

Is there a demo to try cuz beautiful pictures off cars and tracks dont proof its a real sim and another 50 euro approx for a self calling sim but afterwards to find out its just another arcade is to wxpensive got the closet full with fake sims.

Is there a demo to try cuz beautiful pictures off cars and tracks dont proof its a real sim and another 50 euro approx for a self calling sim but afterwards to find out its just another arcade is to wxpensive got the closet full with fake sims.

If you knew the "history" of both Stefano and Aris you wouldn't doubt for one sec that AC will be a realistic and honest sim - eye-candy notwithstanding.

I think everything is simple enough.
Lets say we have both type of game release.On Steam and on their own site.
The ones that uses Steam and had no problem will be happy with Steam release and the ones that had trouble with Steam will be happy with downloading from KS site.
When a DLC will be available,the Steam users will do the " one click" thing and game updates and people who download the game from KS site might get the DLC from there too...everyone wins and lets face it.They are smart so when it will hit the market,they will try to cover as much "ground" as they can.
So "I" belive everyone will be safe to chose the path to fallow regarding Assetto Corsa purchase.
Lets end the tension.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back