Assetto Corsa: Release Candidate Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
LaFerrari.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni just released a first batch of previews of the release candidate of Assetto Corsa that is about to be released in the upcoming days.

During our visit at the press event last week we already brought you the table of content of the game with some new details on the upcoming full version of the game.

Today the first preview images of the release candidate show the Shelby Cobra 427SC, that will come to the pc simulator as a free bonus car. The much awaited addition to the competitive GT3 class: the Mercedes SLS GT3. A little Abarth duel. The Ferrari 458 GT2 and of course Ferrari's flagship vehicle the LaFerrari on a laser-scanned version of Spa-Francorchamps.

If you haven't purchased Assetto Corsa yet you can pick it up directly from our store and of course with a 10% discount if you are a premium member of this community.

Abarth Duel.jpg Ferrari 458 GT2.jpg LaFerrari.jpg Mercedes SLS GT3.jpg Shelby Cobra.jpg Spa-Francorchamps.jpg

Can't wait for the RC. By the way has anybody heard anything about weather system? I never saw mentioning it the last year.

I seem to remember speaking to a guy at the Press Event (not a Kunos-guy!), talking about weather. How "everyone would love to be driving races is changing conditions, when the sun sets, and everything get gradually darker. It is harder to see if the line is getting wetter or dryer. And then a game gives us that, and 98% of the racing is in the sun with great weather".

I think that was a very good way to put it, I do believe there are other areas to focus on :)

Amazing, wasn't expecting an RC1 till early 2015, Kunos has been a busy team of vegemites, looks like the competition will possibly have to share the Xmas market sales with AC.
Kudos Kunos you've excelled beyond my expectations yet again, I think 2015 will be the defining year of the Racing Sim, we will all be spoilt for choice whether you into RRE, pCars or AC, our hobby is coming of age :thumbsup:
Cheers

Would it be unfair to look at AC as competing directly with rf2, and pcars jumping into the console racing space and competing with Forza & GT? I've never played with Pcars but I am trying to get a better fix on who they both are targeting directly. Sure there is crossover but AC doesn't seem likely to go to consoles... So they really need to appeal to the more advanced sim crowd it seems?

I'm quite impressed with this relatively unknown group take such a deep stab at the sim community...

Would it be unfair to look at AC as competing directly with rf2, and pcars jumping into the console racing space and competing with Forza & GT? I've never played with Pcars but I am trying to get a better fix on who they both are targeting directly. Sure there is crossover but AC doesn't seem likely to go to consoles... So they really need to appeal to the more advanced sim crowd it seems?

I'm quite impressed with this relatively unknown group take such a deep stab at the sim community...

Kunos have a long history in racing sims, starting with NetKar a free sim, and progressing through NetKar Pro, a very hardcore on-line only commercial sim released in 2006, and Ferrari Virtual Academy in 2010. In addition Kunos have worked on simulators for various racing teams.

I don't think AC is competing directly with rF2, and while pCARs main market will be consoles (simply because racing titles sell so much better on consoles than on PCs) I think its a mistake to assume it won't compete with other PC racing sims. SMS staff produced GTR, GT Legends and GTR2, and most of the "investors" came from the PC sim community. As an outsider I get the impression pCARs will be a PC sim ported to consoles rather than the more usual console title ported to PC.

Instead I'd suggest there is a fair degree of overlap between the various sims. ISI have moved from a mod platform rF1 to a much more licensed content centred rF2. AC shares moddability and licensed content with rF2, but is aiming to broaden the appeal by including street cars, a career mode and state of the art graphics. pCARs larger console sales base means it can offer more content as standard which may make the lack of official moddabilty less important. Like AC it also offers street cars, a career mode and state of the art graphics, and along with rF2 offers rain, day/night transition and pitstops. All I will say about physics is IMO all three developers have attempted to do their best to produce the most realistic physics they can, offering aids for those looking for a less hardcore experience. Which title has actually been most successful remains to be seen as none is finalised as yet and its pretty certain ,even when they are finished, sim racers won't agree.

I haven't mentioned iRacing so far, surely the market leader when it comes to on-line racing. None of the new sims has tried to emulate iRacing's system. I think a key reason for this is the main sim market is offline racing, so priority has gone to AI, career modes and moddabilty.

I also think it would be a mistake to count out S3S who seem to be heading firmly in the right direction now and although we seem to be in an era of jack of all trade sims, hopefully there will always be room for niche developers like Reiza.

Last edited:
I haven't mentioned iRacing so far, surely the market leader when it comes to on-line racing. None of the new sims has tried to emulate iRacing's system. I think a key reason for this is the main sim market is offline racing, so priority has gone to AI, career modes and
If thats the case then why is most sim racing AI so godawful?

and why is that is a financial disaster?
I think they spend good money to support their online platform, and that money comes from the constant iracing subscriptions. In AC we have community created servers, Kunos just provides the infrastructure, and the netcode optimization is a responsibility of both the devs and server creators, since most people I think are using not so good server configs, so we see weird physics animation on contact.

If thats the case then why is most sim racing AI so godawful?

Possibly they approach it in the wrong way. The trick with AI is to teach it to make good decisions based upon available data and to project the outcome before accepting that decision, the same way a human would. Much game AI just makes a decision without attempting to predict the outcome, hence the meltdowns, crashes, deaths, stupidity, etc. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 117 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 302 27.7%