Assetto Corsa Pre-Alpha VR Support Teased

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AC pre Alpha VR Support.jpg
AC ferrari.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have just teased the news that Virtual Reality support within Assetto Corsa has reached Pre-Alpha stage.

Many see Virtual Reality as the future for sim racing fanatics, putting the driver right in the heart of his or her virtual car and allowing never-before-seen levels of immersion when tackling the worlds digital racetracks.

With more and more VR headsets finding their way onto the market it is only a matter of time before retail prices reach a more affordable level for the everyday consumer. Assetto Corsa's rival Project CARS, already provides a substantial level of support for Virtual Reality and the SMS developed sims current dominance in the VR/Sim Racing field could well be under threat from this latest tease.

Although no details have been revealed by the studio other than the above image, Kunos have confirmed via the official AC Twitter channel that VR support has reached Pre-Alpha stage. With development seeming well underway, perhaps it is worth keeping our fingers crossed that it won't be very long at all until we can enjoy this superb title in all its VR glory. The proposed update is planned to support CV1 at this early stage.

Visit the Assetto Corsa forum right here at RaceDepartment for all the news and Assetto Corsa discussions as well as our mighty mods archive and ever popular Racing Club.

Also check out our Japanese Dream Pack @ Black Cat County race event to be held this Sunday 22nd of May. Hurry, places are due to fill up fast!

Are you excited about VR support within Assetto Corsa? What VR device do you use? In your opinion, is VR the future for sim racing? Let us discuss below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Changelog:-

1.6.0 -
  • Oculus Rift SDK 1.3 (WIP Pre Alpha)
  • Fixed self shadowing on tyres
  • Fixed wrong log output
  • Dynamic controllers for turbo boost
  • Added RPMS input to dynamic controllers
  • Implementation of Scalable Apps
  • Fixed replay Interface
  • Fixed setup info screen
  • Added filtered speed
  • Fixed race non progression when player is not moving
  • Improved MP collision system
  • Improved AI fuel handling
  • Shared Memory: return type from bool to int
  • Fixed Hotlap Mode unlocking achievement through not valid laps
  • Fixed deltaT for renderAudio
  • Bodywork and horn volumes uses engineVolume
  • Bodywork's smoothvalue use a different alpha
  • Added analogic placeholder for car modellers
  • Added option to draw driver's label on focused car (system\cfg\name_displayer.ini -> DRAW_FOCUSEDCAR)
  • Fixed CameraCar bad nearplane when forcing camera mode change (see exiting from replay)
  • Implementation of Chat App (system\cfg\chat_app.ini)
  • SharedMemory: Moved AirTemp/RoadTemp from Static to Physics, old values in static are deprecated
  • Timing use also the hour/minutes format
  • Fixed GoToPits Cheat to start from the pits.
  • Added 4 Wheel Steer systems (Nissan Skyline , Mazda RX7)
  • acServerManager : storing Driver data also save the current model/skin, so through drag&drop the saved skin can be used on a new slot)
  • Added flags indications for completed session in leaderboards
  • F9 overlay leaderboard is now avoiding red colours for better differentiation of opponent proximity indicators
  • Added new [ASSETTO_CORSA] SIMULATION_VALUE parameter. Increase the number to increase simulation value. Defaults to 0 for obvious reasons
  • Engine performance is now dependent on air density/temperature
  • New AWD transmission code, still WIP (Nissan Skyline & Alfa 155)
  • Fixed pitstop window not appearing when AI retired some car
  • Experimental heating corrections on semislick tyres for Lotus 2-11, Exige Scura, Exige 240 and S3, Lotus Elise SC, KTM X-Bow, Mazda MX5 ND, Toyota AE86 Tuned and Drift
  • BOP for GT3 cars
  • Improved Mercedes AMG GT3 data

Does changing the simulation value parameter alter the tire model to a previous version? All jokes aside, that could be a neat easter egg. Definitely miss the throttle management that was once required.

• Added new [ASSETTO_CORSA] SIMULATION_VALUE parameter. Increase the number to increase simulation value. Defaults to 0 for obvious reasons
whatever, these devs have attitude issues still.
So you're on of those constantly raging about AC's lack of simulation value on PRC who apparently doesn't understand a joke? Lighten up.

BTT: Nice little surprise with the pre-alpha VR support, that wasn't expected this early.

a Vive and CV1 !! wow do you sell drugs
:D no apart from not drinking or smoking so I tend to buy toys, I was a KS so the CV1 is free ;)

....but on a downside it seems there is an issue with VR implementation right now and both eyes are getting the same image, same thing happened when it launched support for DK2. That was fixed very quickly. My CV1 is coming Friday so they have 2 days to fix it :D

:D no apart from not drinking or smoking so I tend to buy toys, I was a KS so the CV1 is free ;)

....but on a downside it seems there is an issue with VR implementation right now and both eyes are getting the same image, same thing happened when it launched support for DK2. That was fixed very quickly. My CV1 is coming Friday so they have 2 days to fix it :D
You're in luck - there's already a hot fix :)

Got my Rift yesterday - can't wait to get everything set up for AC this weekend.

First impression in VR using Oculus Rift
  • Menus are finally working
  • Rendering is broken, as both viewports display the same image which feels really weird (hotfixed with 1.6.1)
  • Resolution is really low and everything is blurry (almost like a DK2)
Luckily the latter issue can be resolved by disabling post processing. This will break in-game menus so you also need to disable AA.

After these changes it finally clicked with me and I'm now having a blast around Nordschleife in GT3 :thumbsup:

Is there a way to change the traction control slip though? It seems like I can floor the throttle on every corner exit with "factory" settings.

Anyway, this will probably become my go-to sim to demo the Rift, as it seems easier to drive compared to Project Cars once you have figured out the understeer and also the Nordschleife looks more vivid with all the vegetation :)

Last edited:
Did some laps in my fresh-out-of-the-box CV1 Rift. For a pre-alpha implementation it's already got some nice improvements that I'm loving. Apps float nicely on a curved pane around your PoV and are adjustable as normal. With dpad support it'd be perfect - they just need to revamp the launcher to make it more seamless - right now you can only see it on your monitor. And working AA would really improve the image overall. But otherwise fantastic. I could drift the new cars around Magione all day. Actually I'll probably be doing just that for the next week.

Assetto Corsa with the rift is amazing!!!

Try this tip to greatly increase the AA and clarity though: Use the Debug Tool from the Oculus SDK to increase the render resolution. Download the SDK, run the debug tool and
type "1.5" at "pixel override" and hit enter. Then select the game .exe and launch from the debug tool. In game, turn the post processing and AA off. Looks SO much better!

Did some laps in my fresh-out-of-the-box CV1 Rift. For a pre-alpha implementation it's already got some nice improvements that I'm loving. Apps float nicely on a curved pane around your PoV and are adjustable as normal. With dpad support it'd be perfect - they just need to revamp the launcher to make it more seamless - right now you can only see it on your monitor. And working AA would really improve the image overall. But otherwise fantastic. I could drift the new cars around Magione all day. Actually I'll probably be doing just that for the next week.
For your resolution what have you chosen? Mine is still set at 1920x1080 60Hz. It makes the Rift jittery since it is 90Hz. Any idea on how I can change this? I also don't know how to recenter my driver. I'm all the way up on the steering wheel and can't move myself back

Just got done playing for 30 minutes on the vive using the injector, the only way I could center my view was by hitting the drive button then rushing over to my set up and sitting down before the renderer starts. :roflmao: People on reddit said that hitting ctrl+space or left and right glance at the same time will recenter to wherever the headset is. The implementation is pretty rough right now, but if you already have everything, it's absolutely amazing.

Does the Rift display all apps now? Or just the built in non-python ones?
All apps as far as I can tell. The whole app bar is there if you mouse to the right. It all exists on a curved pane around your viewpoint - it's pretty damn cool. Like I have FFBclip down on my left shoulder and Race Essentials on my right toward the passenger seat.

The whole pit/race UI is there when you load in too. So you can actually adjust setups. And the pause menu.

For your resolution what have you chosen? Mine is still set at 1920x1080 60Hz. It makes the Rift jittery since it is 90Hz. Any idea on how I can change this? I also don't know how to recenter my driver. I'm all the way up on the steering wheel and can't move myself back
Ctrl+Space resets view. And you can fine-tune it with the regular driver position app. I was using my rift resoltuion of 2160 x whatever but it also seemed to downsample fine using my regular 2560x1440 144 res - might have messed with aspect ratio though, not sure about that.

Last edited:
What happens when you run benchmark using rift? Can someone post some numbers?
I tried to run the benchmark but it crashes for some reason, sorry. Haven't gone below 90 fps once, but I haven't tried running with 20 cars yet or anything, already much better than project cars. I'm running no AA, Post processing off, on a 4670k, 980 ti, and 8 gb of ram in the vive using the injector/wrapper. So it's running quite smoothly. I hope they fix the AA soon so I can try it with that on.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%