Assetto Corsa in VR - Is this as good as it gets??

It took me a while to adapt from viewing everything on a monitor to the differences in a VR headset - everything in the distance looked like there was a permanent heat shimmer and moving my eyes out of the sweet spot was blurry
I could not have said that better. That is exactly what it is!

Last edited:
Can I just confirm what you mean by 'field of view'? You mentioned immediate surroundings earlier, so I suspect it might mean anything not close to you?

Anything not directly ahead in most consumer headsets looks a little blurry due to the level of distortion required by the lens at the outer edges. I can see this most prominently when I just look around rather than move my head.

For the detail outside your immediate surroundings, it sounds like you might be hitting the limit of the headset pixel resolution. You didn't mention Super Sampling, which can help, but it really hits the FPS at higher multipliers. It basically renders the image on a larger canvas than the headset display, then scales it down with smoothing. One final thing, try turning off FXAA as I found that caused noticeable blurring on high contrast textures, like the kerbs etc...

Hey, do you turn the FXAA of in Content Manager or in the Nvidia Config?

Which one is dominant over the other?

Hey all,
I'm not new to Sim racing, been doing that for 10+ years now.
I am new to Sim Racing in VR though.
Gave myself an early Christmas present a few weeks ago with an Oculus Quest 2.
And it is A M A Z I N G! For the most part..

Here's the thing though: I'm able to run AC on Ultra settings (where applicable). If I'm in the car (any car), my immediate surroundings (the car, the cockpit, the tires, etc..) look super sharp, really detailed and smooth as heck.
But anything in my field of view (the track itself, other cars, grass, kerbs, etc..) look really grainy, even blurry at times.
I've been playing around with some settings, but I can't get it better.
Now I know, the Oculus Quest 2 has certainly its limitations and is by no means a high end set, but should't it be better?
Or is this as good as it gets??
I hope not.
Any help, tips, tricks are highly appreciated.
Let me know if you are still struggling as I have it running well and looking good on the Quest

Well I've had an Oculus of some description since the first one 6 years ago so maybe I'm used to things not looking as good as a monitor now :)

That said I personally wouldn't have it any other way and I'm really pleased how Assetto looks and is the best and most natural looking sim I use on my PC. I had assetto on beta when it first came out and had disregarded it after a few years until I saw some mods running on it about 12 months ago. It's a credit to all the modders that have brought this up to date and made it look as good as it does with so much good content still being released.

What I have found is what works for one person on their sim may not work for others due to all the variances, changing one thing at a time and experimenting is key.

For me I want it to look as natural and realistic as possible.

First thing I do in task manager is set this as a high priority.

1642955617856.png

Disable any other processes you do not need running.

I use afterburner to overclock my cars and increase the fan speed.

Here's my Oculus 2 headset settings, I've changed this in the past and didn't see much difference apart from a drop in FPS.

1642956696762.png

Open Oculus Debug tool and amend to the following settings, file and restart as an administrator and check they haven't changed.

1642956887450.png

Open up Content Manager, I am using SOL weather and CSP 176.

I have post processing filters turned off as I don't want any effects added and feel it gives a clearer image without it, just my personal taste and it has a negative effect on the smoothness due to the drop in FPS

Here's my settings, oculus display 1.8

I've capped my FPS at 60 to keep things stable and can't tell the difference with higher settings

1642957171083.png

I have Anisotropic filtering turned on in NVidia control panel.

I have UI, messages and even the start light graphics turned off for full immersion, I use Crewcheif to keep me updated during the race.

Here's my settings in CSP but try different things as some may work better or worse on your system.

1642957471793.png

1642957531163.png

1642958804900.png

1642957558596.png

I think I've covered most things but will come back and add to it if I remember something else. Just remember to save your settings at the bottom in each section when it looks better. Hopefully it might help you with something.

Well I've had an Oculus of some description since the first one 6 years ago so maybe I'm used to things not looking as good as a monitor now :)

That said I personally wouldn't have it any other way and I'm really pleased how Assetto looks and is the best and most natural looking sim I use on my PC. I had assetto on beta when it first came out and had disregarded it after a few years until I saw some mods running on it about 12 months ago. It's a credit to all the modders that have brought this up to date and made it look as good as it does with so much good content still being released.

What I have found is what works for one person on their sim may not work for others due to all the variances, changing one thing at a time and experimenting is key.

View attachment 535060

Here's my Oculus 2 headset settings, I've changed this in the past and didn't see much difference apart from a drop in FPS.

View attachment 535063

Open Oculus Debug tool and amend to the following settings, file and restart as an administrator and check they haven't changed.

View attachment 535065

I have post processing filters turned off as I don't want any effects added and feel it gives a clearer image without it, just my personal taste and it has a negative effect on the smoothness due to the drop in FPS

I've capped my FPS at 60 to keep things stable and can't tell the difference with higher settings

View attachment 535066

I have UI, messages and even the start light graphics turned off for full immersion, I use Crewcheif to keep me updated during the race.

Here's my settings in CSP but try different things as some may work better or worse on your system.

View attachment 535070

View attachment 535071

View attachment 535074

View attachment 535072

I think I've covered most things but will come back and add to it if I remember something else. Just remember to save your settings at the bottom in each section when it looks better. Hopefully it might help you with something.

Grant,
I really appreciate your time and effort to help me with this! Awesome!
Tonight, I'll give myself some time to thoroughly go through your advice.
I'll post an update soon.
Thanks again :)

Grant,
I really appreciate your time and effort to help me with this! Awesome!
Tonight, I'll give myself some time to thoroughly go through your advice.
I'll post an update soon.
Thanks again :)

I've copied your settings 1-on-1.
Honestly, I was hoping for some improvement.. I would have been happy with that.
But THIS.... HOLY SH*T!!!!! THIS IS INSANE!!!
This is like a whole new experience, it is THAT good. Unbelievable! Everything is sharp and crisp, like it is on my screen.. it's now in my Quest. Absolutely insane!! Thanks so much man, you really made AC and my Oculus into a crazy experience.

Only thing... (sorry).. my FPS plummeted to between 34-42 FPS, which is noticeable of course.
I know it's all a balancing act, but is there anything I can turn off / adjust to bump it up?

I can't express how amazing this is though, it's like a whole new game now!

Last edited:
I've copied your settings 1-on-1.
Honestly, I was hoping for some improvement.. I would have been happy with that.
But THIS.... HOLY SH*T!!!!! THIS IS INSANE!!!
This is like a whole new experience, it is THAT good. Unbelievable! Everything is sharp and crisp, like it is on my screen.. it's not in my Quest. Absolutely insane!! Thanks so much man, you really made AC and my Oculus into a crazy experience.

Only thing... (sorry).. my FPS plummeted to between 34-42 FPS, which is noticeable of course.
I know it's all a balancing act, but is there anything I can turn off / adjust to bump it up?

I can't express how amazing this is though, it's like a whole new game now!
Glad I could help. I spent some time tweaking to get it better but that’s half the fun for me to refine it and get it the best I can. I’m thinking I’ll put a YouTube video together at some point to help. Turn down shadows, reflections also try turning off lighting and rain in custom shaders patch but I’m sure if you keep tweaking you’ll find a happy medium. If this doesn’t work try reducing the oculus down to 1.6

Last edited:
Glad I could help. I spent some time tweaking to get it better but that’s half the fun for me to refine it and get it the best I can. I’m thinking I’ll put a YouTube video together at some point to help. Turn down shadows, reflections also try turning off lighting and rain in custom shaders patch but I’m sure if you keep tweaking you’ll find a happy medium. If this doesn’t work try reducing the oculus down to 1.6

Thanks again!
I'll go and tweak the settings till I get it right.

p.s. A youtube video would be great, I know for a fact that there are a lot of OQ2 users who are struggling with the same thing, just not knowing where to begin adjusting the giant amount of settings.

FPS drop solved:
Downloaded Oculus Tray Tool, turned off ASW and it shot to 85.
:)

I should of thought it could be ASW as I know straight away if it’s on with mine as get 36fps. Glad you are now getting to use it near its full potential. Report back if you find anything else that helps that I have missed. Remember to turn off flames and smoke in CSP as they don’t seem to work at the moment. F1 cars look particularly good. I also have fireworks ticked at night as they look good also in assetto corsa.

Last edited:
I should of thought it could be ASW as I know straight away if it’s on with mine as get 36fps. Glad you are now getting to use it near its full potential. Report back if you find anything else that helps that I have missed. Remember to turn off flames and smoke in CSP as they don’t seem to work at the moment. F1 cars look particularly good. I also have fireworks ticked at night as they look good also in assetto corsa.

Now that I have a baseline that looks great, I can build on that.
But I'm already very satisfied with the improvements I have thanks to you.

I am struggling, sir!
I have to say, it does run smoothly, steady at 90 FPS and the gameplay is amazing. It ruined me for 'screen simming'..
Unfortunately, I have the feeling it should look better.
"I have the feeling it should look better" this will always be the case with VR. After 3 years of VR i still tweek this and that for a better image :)

View attachment 535060

View attachment 535063

View attachment 535065

View attachment 535066

View attachment 535070

View attachment 535071

View attachment 535074

View attachment 535072

I think I've covered most things but will come back and add to it if I remember something else. Just remember to save your settings at the bottom in each section when it looks better. Hopefully it might help you with
I also have the problem with the environment being low resolution and choppy but the car itself and other close things look sharp and high resolution. I copied your settings completely and it did help with some of the environment to make it look sharper. A lot of my surroundings on the quest 2 still look low resolution and not detailed. Is this the same with you with all these settings or does yours look all round sharp with high resolution?
I also changed some of the settings which didn't help either. I am just not sure whether this is normal and I should get used to it or if this isn't how it should be.

mine looks pretty good i think but wouldn't say amazing.

do you have grass FX on

I also have temporal aa off now

1643909356705.png

and also these settings

1643909471486.png

not sure if it will help but worth a try

I try something and then save it to my profile if it looks better, good luck

My experience

If you do have an system that is mediocre in performance, do not waste your precious frametimes on settings that only can be seen by an magnifying glass. Also concentrate on the improvements that YOU really need and leave the “nice to have stuff” for an later fine tuning, if there is still some headroom.

BTW All those youtube settings are great learning tutorials, but it does not make any sense if the youtuber is using an RTX3095tiii while you are using an GTX1660.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 196 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%