Assetto Corsa - half-baked, unfinished, but brilliant

I've only bought this sim recently, as I was extremely happy with Automobilista and as far as I was concerned it could not be beaten.

But then I finally bought an Oculus Rift in a sale before Christmas, and I had no choice but to find a sim that could handle VR.

I'm very glad I did, as the experience is out of this world.

But, I must say, for the first week of owning AC, I was very disappointed in some of the failings of the sim itself, and many of the almost but not quite finished conversions of tracks that were available to download.

No safety car, no rolling start, no in depth way to change the driver abilities, no manual pit limiter, formation lap, cool down lap, or many other options you would expect in a current race sim.

And some failings were just embarrassing for Kunos. Practicing at Brands Hatch Indy, the AI drove into the pit wall almost every time they entered the pits. That's pretty bad when it was reported as a bug years ago and actually takes about 5 minutes to fix it.

And similarly, the racing line going into Paddock Hill, right in the centre of the track instead of wide to the left, that's' pretty lame, as they become too easy to beat with just a bit of practice.

I just kept finding one thing after another that seemed half-baked, half- finished, or showed a lack of care by the developers.

(I hope they polish up ACC better than this).

But despite this, I couldn't stop playing it, not only because of the VR experience, but because, when it was all working, the AI were actually great to race against.

So I spent some time learning to edit the AI lines and track limits on some of my favourite tracks, and wow, what a transformation. This is some of the best offline racing sim action I've had.

To anyone else who has had the same thoughts, I highly recommend the AI Helper App by Esotic https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ai-line-helper.137572/

And then spend a bit of time learning how to create your own fast line and pit line, and track limits.

Also, Content Manager by Ilja Jusupov is a must have utility, as it allows much more control over setting up seasons, points, and difficulty levels, amongst many other things.

After this, Assetto Corsa is fantastic.

Welcome to Assetto Corsa. Yes, some features are missing but other features are there and are quite good, not to mention what is happening with Content Manager and Sol (day-night transition, rain etc). Also make sure you try SRS (simracingsystem.com) for a decent multiplayer.

• Deleted member 637371

Welcome to Assetto Corsa. Yes, some features are missing but other features are there and are quite good, not to mention what is happening with Content Manager and Sol (day-night transition, rain etc). Also make sure you try SRS (simracingsystem.com) for a decent multiplayer.

This. AC finds another gear when you use the correct mods. CM and Sol are a must.
It's the sim that just seems to keep on giving. I really love AMS too, but AC with Mods just wins out for me.

ACC will definitely be polished, that's the advantage of 1 car class on 10 tracks, they can actually test them all in person. (AC AI does get tested but it's just automated 'does it crash' tests not someone watching all 3,000 possible laps, since that would take about 200 hours per change to AI code) AC has about 120 cars of 30+ different classes and 30 tracks so probably 100 times more work to make the AI behave properly.

I don't do much racing or even watch much. It's all about the feel of the car/physics. AC's has always had a latency feel to it and recently I got AMS going on my single screen and it felt somewhere between AC and rF2. So far I can't drive ACC for more then a few minutes before I loose intrest.
I judge a sim on the feel of weight in the caster.

Is this right? That's good news, but how do I turn this on please, as my race still ends abruptly a few seconds after passing the finish.

I just read about it today so I'm not positive (hopefully someone can chime in) but I believe there's an AI settings tab in CM and there's an option there to enable a cooldown lap. I think it was named something non-intuitive though, like "do not terminate AI" or something like that.

Yep, I just found it. @Keith Windsor under Settings go to the Custom Shaders Patch, New AI Behavior, lower left corner there's a box for AI race cooldown lap, check the box to make it active.

If I click on Settings/ Custom Shaders Patch, there is nothing but an empty screen with a message 'no page selected'.
I did donate to CM so I have the full version.
I presume I should be installing something else then, I'll have a closer look, thanks.

(also, it seems like a strange place to have an AI option though?)

EDIT - Found it thanks - installed Custom Shader and the page appeared with loads of extra options.
Thanks again

Last edited:
One thing which suckz with the AC AI is that they at some point hesitate to overtake you if you slow down near them, sometimes to a complete standstill if you force it. Also I’d like them to have a blockpath but rfactor 2 is the only sim I know which offers a blockpath for the AI cars, which adds a lot of realism to the experience.

I only had the new DLC a month and had to end up uninstalling, VR just feels so right for racing and flying sims. Just no going back, literally would have to relearn how to drive on a monitor again. Damn really miss AMS. There open wheelers drive the best, far better than rf2.
I tried VR only briefly and luckily didnt like it enough to abandon screen ;) .. waiting for next gen VR

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.7%