Assetto Corsa: First Porsche Render Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Porsche.jpg

Following the recent announcement by Kunos Simulazioni confirming the acquisition of the Porsche licence for Assetto Corsa, the team over in Italy have already been hard at working bringing the first fruits of the new deal into digital form.

Kunos have revealed a mouth watering teaser image of a 1970s era Porsche 935/78 "Moby Dick" as made famous by such legendary drivers as Jacky Ickx and Bob Wollek, coming second only to the works Renault team in the 1978 round the clock classic at Le Mans in June 1978. Capable of an incredible 0-60 in just 2.6 seconds, the legendary 935/78 was one of the most iconic and formidable machines that took part under the Group 5 regulations and went on to secure a number of race victories for the German marque.

Porsche 935-78.jpg

Kunos have yet to reveal the full range of cars that will be made available as part of the licencing deal with Porsche, however with such an impressive back catalogue of stunning road and race cars, whatever finds its way in game will no doubt prove to be an exceptionally fun experience for players of Assetto Corsa to enjoy.

Check out the Assetto Corsa forum here at RaceDepartment to view all the latest news and discussions regarding Kunos Simulazioni's racing simulation. We have hundreds of topics created by community members discussing many aspects of the Italian simulator. Why not check out our Assetto Corsa Mods forum while you browse? Take a look at the many high quality user created cars and tracks available for download, or if making these mods is more your thing, take a tour of our Modding Discussion forum for WIP projects, advice and guidance and general discussion around the world of AC modding.

RaceDepartment hold regular club racing events with a wide variety of content for the sim. All you need is a premium membership and a desire to have a good time on track! Check it out today!

Looking forward to the arrival of Porsche in AC? What model's do you want to see in game? Like the look of this early preview? Let us know in the discussion section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Although not overly successful that season, the car maintains legendary status due to its iconic looks (and sounds :) ) and purely by the fact that anyone who's seen one driven in anger can testify to it being one of the greatest sights in all of moto racing history :D

To be a legend doesn't always mean armfuls of victories and championships, plus the 935/78 was the natural progression of several years versions of Porsche 935 that did win a few in their time...

I think of it much like the Jordan 191. Not a successful car as such, but still a legend for both what it achieved at the time, its looks and the fact it launched Jordan Grand Prix (and a certain German fella)...
I agree, even if the car was definitely a low point in the 935 filiation between the 935/77 and the mighty K3 and K4. It entered the Porsche museum in 79 after all. ^^

Don't know how those Porsches handle, if they all drive like the GT3 Cup car then it's a pass for me :)
A pass on a Porsche pack? :confused: Check the temp mate cause i think you might have a fever and dont know what you're saying. :D

To get these licensed cars in a proper sim after so long time is a done deal for moi. :) Never seen this car in real life but it looks amazing in vids.

Is a 70s Porsche going to drive like a 21st century GT3 car?

Is that a real question? :p
Handling depends a lot on weight distribution and Porsche isn't known for building cars and engines that follow the trend of the automobile industry ;)
I have a distant clue how most cars would drive but when it comes to Porsche it's always different than expected.

Handling depends a lot on weight distribution and Porsche isn't known for building cars and engines that follow the trend of the automobile industry
Porsche being so good at what it does, such as winning races against those who do conform to such meritorious standards, clearly will have done something between the 1970s and now which has seen such development in car handling via technology as to make comparisons between the eras incomprehensible, including between 70s porsches and today's porsches.

Like really oh wow... the engine is in the back... must be a real dinosaur of a car.... :p

Glad i can contribute to your enjoyment but so far you weren't able to contribute any informations so your posts are pretty useless to me. Obviously 40 years of automobile evolution do leave a big footprint and very obviously it will not drive like a 2015 GT3 car, but that doesn't mean that the main characteristics couldn't be similar.

Massive progress in tyre development and aero over the last 50 years has contributed way more to improvements in car handling than fiddling with weight distribution. Porsche are supposedly moving the engine forwards in the upcoming GT3 car so they can improve the rear aero not to alter the weight distribution.

I hope the Porsche 962 C will make its way into the sim.

It's one of my all time favorite cars and always makes me sadly think of Stefan Bellof, one of the most talented drivers Germany ever had. What a joy it would've been to see him battle with the young, quickly improving Schumacher. :rolleyes::redface: No doubt Stefan would've been at the height of his career at this time...:( (There's nice stuff on YouTube to get to know more about him)

There's also a great vid about the 962 here. :inlove::thumbsup:

Yes hell yes! this and the LMP1 are the main porsche draw cards for me.and maybe any other race cars they bring with the packs

I'm pretty sure they will release the LMP cars in one pack, AFAIK the Toyota and Porsche LMP1s are in the works... not sure about Audi's offering, but given the one thing Kunos is undoubtedly good at being acquiring licenses I'm pretty certain that they'd just grab it as well and release the three at once. :p

I'm pretty sure they will release the LMP cars in one pack, AFAIK the Toyota and Porsche LMP1s are in the works... not sure about Audi's offering, but given the one thing Kunos is undoubtedly good at being acquiring licenses I'm pretty certain that they'd just grab it as well and release the three at once. :p
Nah i don't think kunos will go that route of a lemans dlc pack. It would not make sense as the game features cant really back up a pack like that. especially with no le mans track in the game it would also surely bring a lot of negativity from the haters about those set backs. So i think the le mans type cars will be/should be sifted out with other mixed content packs apart from maybe the porsche LMP1 which will be in the porsche dlc's. which is probably a better way for kunos to distribute their packs as with mixed dlc packs their is something in them for everyone to enjoy as opposed to certain theme type packs which would cater for a certain type of enthusiast.which overall will drop dlc sales for kunos imo

Last edited:
@Terra21 Trying to satisfy everyone is a pointless venture. Proven by the red pack, consisting primarily of race cars and F1 cars yet it topped steam sales charts considering the amount of soapbox moaning that ensued from people proclaiming how much they didn't care for F1 cars and how the red pack is bad for not catering to everyone's desires. Kunos has such a huge momentum right now with their extremely aggressive pricing method that eventually everyone ends up getting all the packs because they are so cheap. What we have now is people buying the packs and simply going "hurr they are making me buy a whole pack for one car/track that I like durr", which is a side effect of doing it your way where Kunos is trying to satisfy everyone only to still end up getting turds flung at them. They'd have much more goodwill from the community (for whatever it's worth) if they made focused and specialized packs because those things remove the whole "got nothing to race against" issue that keeps popping up a lot in regards to AC and people will buy those packs anyway because of the aforementioned good pricing scheme. Separating three rivals by a factor of months is possibly the worst thing that they could do IMO. And before you say "but releasing only road cars in a pack will drop it's value and nobody will buy it" I'd point out the japanese pack, everyone has it even though people moaned about how they don't care about japanese cars simply due to the fact that the pack is so cheap. And given that AC is going on consoles now, where majority of the player base consists of casual folks who tend to love street cars I'd say that releasing specialized packs be it race/street oriented will have 0 effect on overall sales if they keep up their fair pricing scheme. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back