Assetto Corsa First Impressions

The tracks and background are great, but the cars at least so far just don't seem planted as well as say Automobilista.
Its difficult to state exactly, but the tires seem to be skating on the surface with AC, but with Automobilista its just better somehow. Granted I'm not using a FFB wheel, but I never have.
The graphics work great and I was worried my PC wouldn't be fast enough, but so far that hasn't been an issue at all.
Still getting used to the sim and I want to try some mixed car racing, that is as soon as I figure out how.
The sound is very impressive, and one area where I think Automobilista can improve.
Between the 2 sims I'm not sure If there's enough time in the day !

but the tires seem to be skating on the surface with AC,
I really don't agree. I've always found that there's plenty of grip in AC, so much so that I turn down ambient temperature and even choose an old track surface frequently.
Between the 2 sims I'm not sure If there's enough time in the day !
I totally agree. How one is supposed to fit in a job, family, life.... I dunno. I've been trying to learn Tajo recently. I need a sabbatical ;)

Yeah I have flirted with AC since xbox one, well still have it on xbox but that is now in the lounge as i have a PC now. I have all the motorsport sims and AC seemed to be the one in which it never really grabbed me by the balls like the others, especially the likes of RRE and RF2 and even AMS recently....
So i was looking at my steam gameplay times and AC was lagging behind so been giving it some love recently and I think i may have just stumbled upon one of the issues and rectified it.
I always sort of liked the feel, its verging on a spongy feeling, the grip is there for sure but only to a point where the car will simply spin and there is nothing getting it back.
But yeah i hear these people talk of the best FFB and best physics and never really thought it did have those in the bag, but simply by upping the min force on my ffb settings to 10-15 have suddenly given me feel at slow corners and better road feel in general.
Couple that with a crazy amount of mods, not all good, but fun to try out anyway I think i'll be giving it more of my time.
Grip is one of its plus points for me as you actually feel like a GT3 car has the kinda grip the looks like its made for, those wings aren't for looking cool down at McDonalds...

But yes i'm so glad i have it as i got it at discount with all DLC, but yes not enough time and too many great sims, i get what you mean by say AMS it has bite at the front end which AC was missing for me, but i think i have fund out why with my settings i mentioned.

To add as a person who has driven racing cars on track and track focused cars on track, that feel of 'skating' over the tarmac is prevalent in real life but its for the most part very manageable and AC conveys this well, race cars are designed and set up for some of this to help rotate the car in corners, whats false in the mentality of some of the sim world, is the idea the track is made of ice and your tyres are made of glass...AC for avoids this and for that i like it, who can get into the zone of the car skating to a degree but its usable energy to rotate and control the car on your limit.
Obviously if the tack is icey like PCars 2, well you get studded tyres which will grip for days..

Not sure If skating was the proper term, but the car just doesn't "feel" planted on the road. Main problem for me with AC is the wheel setup. If you don't have a FFB wheel and use an older wheel the steering just isn't right and feels wayy to twitchy.
Not sure If theres a fix for this or not. I have an email into Thomas Superwheels and Dave to see If there is a way to do it, but so far its pretty frustrating.

Not sure If skating was the proper term, but the car just doesn't "feel" planted on the road. Main problem for me with AC is the wheel setup. If you don't have a FFB wheel and use an older wheel the steering just isn't right and feels wayy to twitchy.
Not sure If theres a fix for this or not. I have an email into Thomas Superwheels and Dave to see If there is a way to do it, but so far its pretty frustrating.
I can only imagine how that feels but I know how it's like with a xbox Controller!
It does feel like skating on ice!

But the moment you configure a ffb wheel in a good way it begins to shine and for it's still the best!
"only" have a G27 but after a lot of hours, searching the best settings I pretty much found them for this wheel and all cars feel awesome.

But I can totally understand your frustration! :(

I can only imagine how that feels but I know how it's like with a xbox Controller!
It does feel like skating on ice!

But the moment you configure a ffb wheel in a good way it begins to shine and for it's still the best!
"only" have a G27 but after a lot of hours, searching the best settings I pretty much found them for this wheel and all cars feel awesome.

But I can totally understand your frustration! :(

I have a TX but care to share?
I get the "car doesn't feel planted", it feels dare i say a bit boat like sometimes and like the tyres are not on a track but on a bed of air...a hoover caft....

I have a TX but care to share?
I get the "car doesn't feel planted", it feels dare i say a bit boat like sometimes and like the tyres are not on a track but on a bed of air...a hoover caft....
Click on my name and go on the "downloads". There you'll find a "guide" for different Look Up Tables for the Logitech wheels.
Try to set the other settings accordingly, if you have any questions just ask :)
Also: I will try to find some wheelcheck results for the TX to create a custom LUT for you!
Or you run it yourself (see second link) :)

BUT the first and easiest way would be to download the Assetto Corsa App "FFB Clip" and setting the mode to "dynamic" and "strong".
You probably have too less force around the center and for low forces in general!
I don't like this dynamic mode because of other, more technical reasons but for a quick "gimme an awesome feeling" it's nice!

Here are the links:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ffbclip-app.7910/

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/lut-generator-for-ac.9740/

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years