Assetto Corsa completely died ... Lost much. Now what?

After an unfortunate series of thunderstorms shut power & internet to my home off and on a number of times over the past weeks, AC had become increasingly unstable when loading races and moving between various screens. This morning I tried to load up a practice and AC began reinstalling itself! I have lost all of my General Setups, car setups and track records. Obviously something is corrupted ... someplace.

My computer is dedicated to running Assetto Corsa. Apart from the internet and a couple anti-virus programs (Avast and etc.), Content Manager (which I don't much use), and Crew Chief there isn't anything else on the machine, not even Microsoft Word or Excel type programs.

My computer seems OK ... I can access the internet and move around the few programs I have ... but AC has completely gone nuts.

I am making a backup copy of my car and track folders.

My thinking is that I should find a way to scrub AC completely from the computer and re-install it ... then add in my saved cars and tracks ... and the few apps I run.

But I really don't know how. I don't know anything about "x86" or "force 32 bit" or any of that stuff ... and the help I had when I set this up 3 years ago is not available to me any longer.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have removed AC from my hard drive. I have run 2 anti virus soft ware programs and am defraging the C drive.

Obviously I will have to re-install AC. I guess I will get all of the updates when I do that.

I had purchased all of the DLC pacs ... will these re-load automatically?

If your errors are random I think its rather something hardware related. Find yourself a RAM test tool and something to test your harddrive.

Could be that the errors only show if the hardware really has to work

After an unfortunate series of thunderstorms shut power & internet to my home off and on a number of times over the past weeks, AC had become increasingly unstable when loading races and moving between various screens. This morning I tried to load up a practice and AC began reinstalling itself! I have lost all of my General Setups, car setups and track records. Obviously something is corrupted ... someplace.

My computer is dedicated to running Assetto Corsa. Apart from the internet and a couple anti-virus programs (Avast and etc.), Content Manager (which I don't much use), and Crew Chief there isn't anything else on the machine, not even Microsoft Word or Excel type programs.

My computer seems OK ... I can access the internet and move around the few programs I have ... but AC has completely gone nuts.

I am making a backup copy of my car and track folders.

My thinking is that I should find a way to scrub AC completely from the computer and re-install it ... then add in my saved cars and tracks ... and the few apps I run.

But I really don't know how. I don't know anything about "x86" or "force 32 bit" or any of that stuff ... and the help I had when I set this up 3 years ago is not available to me any longer.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

That sucks. Sorry to hear it.
Rather than a full reinstallation, would verifying the integrity of the Steam files maybe solve the problem? I think that might save your laptimes, setups etc. I'm not entirely sure, I had to do it once before and it messed with audio mods and a few other tweaks (as it compares what's installed to what SHOULD be installed, so reverts Kunos sounds back to default).
It could be a quicker and neater solution though - certainly worth a try before you do anything more drastic.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Edit: sorry, it's early and I'm on my first coffee. I see you are doing a full re-installation. Bare the integrity check in mind if you have any problems in the future. To answer your question - yes, you'll have to download the DLC again. But not pay again. :p

Last edited:
I uninstalled AC and Steam completely after a series of game failures (later found to be an App conflict) after saving the 'contents and Mods'' folder in AC and the Assetto Corsa 'set-up' folder in My docs.
When I reinstalled Steam and re downloaded AC it automatically downloaded all the Add-ons, I copied/pasted saved stuff back and launched the game, all ran hunky dorey, just had to go through settings again.

I think I figured out the problem ... it wasn't thunderstorms and power outages. I think AC became unstable because I ran out of hard drive space.

I have a very small main hard drive, 250G. Shortly after I got this computer I put another big hard drive in, but could never figure out how to make it work. This morning I got this drive running, and I'm moving my back up content files to that drive.

I also cleaned out and deleted all of the crapola mods, mostly cars, that I downloaded when I first got AC and didn't know any better, and deleted apps that I don't use.

I think it's going fairly well so far, ... but I will have AC setup questions.

Last edited:
I uninstalled AC and Steam completely after a series of game failures (later found to be an App conflict) after saving the 'contents and Mods'' folder in AC and the Assetto Corsa 'set-up' folder in My docs.
When I reinstalled Steam and re downloaded AC it automatically downloaded all the Add-ons, I copied/pasted saved stuff back and launched the game, all ran hunky dorey, just had to go through settings again.

It didn't work quite that way for me. For instance, it copied some cars but others, like the DRM Revival stuff, it did not.

None of the apps got saved ... but that's OK. I deleted all of it ... and will be re-installing only what I really use from RD. This means I will get all of the updates.

Yes, Ted ... but the difference seems to be this one:
Chris 576 with these words: "after saving the 'contents and Mods'' folder" shows he installs mods and tracks and more I'm sure with a mod manager ( surely JSGME here ).

Unactivating the mods with the tool and saving the Mods folder on another support allows to delete all original files but keeping mods....
After game reinstall just place the saved files back in game. Easy and quick that way to keep without any loss all mods and tracks and even apps or graphical improvements he already had in the previous install.

AC Video setting must not be correct ... the view on the screen is great until I start a race or practice session ... in that instance the objects on the screen are all (including apps like track map) very large.

It wasn't doing this until I loaded AC back into the machine, so I'm guessing it's something in the setup.

I see you are doing a full re-installation. Bare the integrity check in mind if you have any problems in the future. To answer your question - yes, you'll have to download the DLC again. But not pay again. :p

At the end of the install, Steam was nice enough to download all that DLC stuff for me. For FREE.

I keep a notebook for all these tips ... The Integrity Check is now in the notebook!

As for the rest of the car mods, I will have to re-install the DRM Revival stuff as well as the URD Detroit (Ford GTE-GTLM). For whatever reason they will not load and Content Manager can't seem to fix them. No problems, I have the original downloads.

I made sure that I could get the tracks (about 20), and apps (only 3) I want from RD Downloads before I deleted them. My guess was I could get all the updates at the same time.

The upside to all of this was that I was "inspired" to learn how to get my second hard-drive up and running. Its one T in storage space :geek: should keep this from happening again.

I appreciate all the help you guys gave me. Thanks!;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back