Assetto Corsa Competizione V1.1 - Preview Footage and Interview With Aris

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We take the upcoming new build of Assetto Corsa Competizione out for a spin, and talk to one of the men behind the magic, Kunos Simulazioni's @Aristotelis

This new update for Assetto Corsa Competizione comes with quite a bit of anticipation from the sim racing community... with V1.1 set to launch onto our gaming PCs chock full of new content, new features and a nice mix of new and improved fixes and enhancements for the official simulation of the Blancpain GT Series.

One of the highest profile new features for ACC is undoubtedly the introduction of triple screen support - something that has been often requested by the sim racing community, and coupled with the return of animated pit crews and plenty of new car models and a track, v1.1 is certainly set to be a favourite with sim racing fans.

As the new build release is now right around the corner, we thought it might be fun to have a spin with the upcoming version of the game while speaking with non other than Kunos physics developer, and all round nice guy, Aristotelis Vasilakos.

Catch the new video at the head of this article, and if you want to know what the new Zandvoort Circuit looks like on a fast lap, check out the RaceDepartment YouTube channel in the next couple of hours or so...

The upcoming build of Assetto Corsa Competizione will be publicly available in the very, very near future - and all for free!

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available now on PC.

For more from the world of ACC, why not head over to our Assetto Corsa Competizione sub forum and get yourself into the thick of the action? We have a great and knowledgeable community, plus some pretty epic League and Club Racing events, if I do say so myself. Go on, treat yourself!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Attachments

• Assetto Corsa Competizione Aris Interview.jpg
    Assetto Corsa Competizione Aris Interview.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 482
You know this is not Assetto Corsa right ? You know this is a licensed game for Blancpain and the manufacturers, who are not going to let geeks hack up their liveries for fun ?
Not very respectful to skin makers, mate...
Also, what do you say about the black/red career car? Some "geek" seems to hack up a car there very severely.
FYI:
The custom livery editor was a planned feature, but there is no estimated release schedule for it.

Not very respectful to skin makers, mate...
Also, what do you say about the black/red career car? Some "geek" seems to hack up a car there very severely.
FYI:
The custom livery editor was a planned feature, but there is no estimated release schedule for it.
Livery designer here and to be honest I don't feel offended by the post of @madhopz .
It was also said by Kunos the livery editor will have limitation. You'll be able to pick up some kind of sponsors and color schemes. It was never said ACC will have the same possibilities like AC in terms of custom liveries.
If the most important thing for you are full custom liveries you've pick up the wrong game.
The post of @Isaac Chavira is more disrespectful in my opinion.

Livery designer here and to be honest I don't feel offended by the post of @madhopz .
That's fine.^^
It was also said by Kunos the livery editor will have limitation. You'll be able to pick up some kind of sponsors and color schemes. It was never said ACC will have the same possibilities like AC in terms of custom liveries.
No one here said, that there would've been the same possibilities.;) I also would find it pretty rad, to choose even just a color scheme with a sponsor sticker on it, it gives some kind of individualization indeed. The career mode is besides the multiplayer the only game mode, where you use your own name in the car, so this would give "something" in addition.^^

2. Aris advises that we do an entire race weekend and not just quick races. Aris, a lot of us avoid entire race weekends because unfortunately, somewhere along the line something will go wrong and will make it a waste of time. (Game crashes, pit stop bug, etc...) I wish I could trust the game for a full race weekend. Perhaps in time.

Even though I had my misgivings about the pit stop mechanism, which I admit I had my problems with, too, and really annoying if you get a dq after half of a long race because having problems with the UI in VR. I do wonder about crashes though, I haven't had one for quite some time, when do they happen to you?

I've been a bit puzzled with the previous version of dirty air simulation because it felt like once you get very close to the car in front you lost the rear traction. For me it felt kinda wrong because you always hear drivers complaining about understeer which makes sense because the front aero will be the first to hit the dirtiest air. Ofcourse the underbody aero will also be affected but for some reason I always was rear limited on those scenarios. Interesting to feel the changes..

I've been a bit puzzled with the previous version of dirty air simulation because it felt like once you get very close to the car in front you always lost the rear traction. For me it felt kinda wrong because you always hear drivers complaining about understeer which makes sense because the front aero will be the first to hit the dirtiest air. Ofcourse the underbody aero will also be affected but for some reason I always were rear limited on those scenarios. Interesting to feel the changes..
This will probably somewhat remain, but more dynamic, depending on what situation you're in:

When you receive dirty air from a car in front, your splitter will get less aerodynamic efficiency in the first place, that leads to understeer of course, but THEN the real severe issue begins, because your splitter and the overall front is the part, that begins modulating your airflow around and under all of your parts.
The already "lively" air from the lead car also has to be led over and under the bodywork and it is already heavily influenced by vortices and less density, so it could also stall some areas of your wing because of vortices, for example, what leads to even more speed, but dangerous behaviour in rear stability, if your speed isn't high enough anymore, to gain enough efficiency out of the lasting aerowork, or probably also if your speed is too high, which then will first lead to the understeer, but follows with unstable behaviour after that.

Just guestimating, but i think a little bit of aircrafts, where every bit of wake and vortex will punish your lift heavily. With a car, it leads to punish your inverted lift, the downforce. (At various parts for different purposes)

Last edited:
Dirty Air and grip loss through car wake is done by almost every sim since the early 2000s. Nascar 2003 would make no sence without it, drafting behaviour is everything there... ISIengine can do it, even AC can do it fine.

EDIT: The really impressive thing is the advanced aero modelling for a situation, that the lead car gets a slight speed advantage, if followed very closely by another car, like it would be a longtail car. This is new indeed.
This is also simulated since RF1.

The top speed advantage for the lead car, without contact-bumpdrafting? Are you shure? Okay, didn't know that. :)
DraftBalanceMult=0 // effect of draft on aerodynamic downforce balance of car (bigger numbers exaggerate the effect)
BodyDraftLiftMult=1.00 // effect of draft on body's lift response
BaseDropoff=0.085 // RFM Drafting override: Higher number -> more drafting effect (default=0.185)
LeadingExponent=6.6 // RFM Drafting override: Higher number -> lower effect on leader (default=2.0)
FollowingExponent=2.2 // RFM Drafting override: Higher number -> lower effect on followers (default=2.0)

I think those are the overrides for that:

DraftBalanceMult=0 // effect of draft on aerodynamic downforce balance of car (bigger numbers exaggerate the effect)
BodyDraftLiftMult=1.00 // effect of draft on body's lift response
BaseDropoff=0.085 // RFM Drafting override: Higher number -> more drafting effect (default=0.185)
LeadingExponent=6.6 // RFM Drafting override: Higher number -> lower effect on leader (default=2.0)
FollowingExponent=2.2 // RFM Drafting override: Higher number -> lower effect on followers (default=2.0)

I think those are the overrides for that:
Nice, you even have the lines for that! Thank you! This is indeed very interesting, i wasn't aware of that, so GTR2 (i've played the most back then at the time) seems to have this too, already.

This will probably somewhat remain, but more dynamic, depending on what situation you're in:

When you receive dirty air from a car in front, your splitter will get less aerodynamic efficiency in the first place, that leads to understeer of course, but THEN the real severe issue begins, because your splitter and the overall front is the part, that begins modulating your airflow around and under all of your parts.
The already "lively" air from the lead car also has to be led over and under the bodywork and it is already heavily influenced by vortices and less density, so it could also stall some areas of your wing because of vortices, for example, what leads to even more speed, but dangerous behaviour in rear stability, if your speed isn't high enough anymore, to gain enough efficiency out of the lasting aerowork, or probably also if your speed is too high, which then will first lead to the understeer, but follows with unstable behaviour after that.

Just guestimating, but i think a little bit of aircrafts, where every bit of wake and vortex will punish your lift heavily. With a car, it leads to punish your inverted lift, the downforce. (At various parts for different purposes)

I get what you mean but it still feels like front splitter and dive planes should be the most and rear wing least affected. Diffuser somewhere inbetween because the flow starts in front. I would be quite surprised if the centre of pressure is moving forwards in dirty air.

I get what you mean but it still feels like front splitter and dive planes should be the most and rear wing least affected. Diffuser somewhere inbetween because the flow starts in front. I would be quite surprised if the centre of pressure is moving forwards in dirty air.

Yes! The front splitter/wing is the most affected part, that is absolutely clear and logical. It starts working ineffective and that's why the understeer should be more pronounced now, when the update releases in somewhat 6-7 hours today hopefully :D If i understood it somewhat right, what should happen with the aero system now.

But, the loss of rear stability isn't going away then, i think, because the front can't work effectively, to lead the dirty air clean onto the rear wing and other parts.

Also the air that is going over the cars roof is not clean (quite important area for wing usage), the wake of the leadcar is more like from a boat in water, just also vertical, than a "straight tunnel", so at lower, but still downforce effective speeds, the rear will be probably still more unstable behind already processed air from another downforce car. There should be a lot of dirty and less usable air on top of the followers car, because the leaders rear wing should produce quite a bit of "upwash", if i'm not wrong, but i'm not really sure...

But basically, it should be right, that the system had its flaws, when oversteer was more a problem at high/mid speeds, than understeer, i think.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 271 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing