Assetto Corsa Competizione | Now Available On Console

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kunos Simulazioni and 505 Games have today released their Assetto Corsa Competizione simulation on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

PC players will undoubtedly already be well aware of Assetto Corsa Competizione. Having released in Early Access back in September of 2018, the official simulation of the SRO GT World Challenge series has undergone considerable development and transformation in the following months - now enjoying the status of one of the most well regarded racing simulations currently available.

Back in March, Kunos Simulazioni revealed the game will be heading to both Xbox One and PS4 this summer, and with much anticipation from the console community, release day has finally arrived! It's here!

Released today, console players now have access to both the physical and digital versions of the game, and those who pre ordered also get access to the Intercontinental GT Challenge DLC, that includes Suzuka, Bathurst, Laguna Seca and Kyalami as well as numerous additional liveries for the cars already within the game.

While private lobbies won’t be in the console edition of ACC at launch, Kunos have announced that they will be coming at a later date. Stay tuned for more information!

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available now on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

Got questions? Head over to the Assetto Corsa Competizione sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let the community be your guide!

ACC Console Release.jpg

One could think that we'll see patches soon. On the other hand, AC took quite a long time before it was in its present shape on consoles. Maybe one thing in XbX And PS4 Pro could be setting output to 1080p and get picture enhancements to use with that lower res. Then just let 4K tv's circuitry do the rest.

But that's worth of trying only after they fix these release version problems.

Console 30 FPS does not feel the same as PC 30 FPS. on PC you need at least 60, on console 30 is ok, as it`s hard locked 30 and feels smooth.
This was pretty funny, thanks.

Games that release at the end of a console cycle usually are pretty impressive, like The Woke of Us 2. Lets be honest, ACC doesn't run that well on PCs either. Compared to Automobilista 2, ACC runs actually pretty bad, so it was expected a port to consoles would suck, A LOT.

Even with patches, it will stay at 30 fps. Maybe input lag will be fixed?

Stutter/judder/input lag/lag in virtual wheel, of course they have to get rid of those. Actual driving is difficult now 'cause due those and some other problems it's impossible to have any steering finesse now.

Aboui oncoming new consoles, they can't have other target than 60fps with better visuals when they convert this(or maybe they are already doing that version too).

I'm scratching my head over this "on pc you need 60 fps but on consoles, 30 fps look fine".

Can somehow explain to me why? Any links?

My ideas would be:

- do consoles have some kind of frame doubling? I doubt...

- do these people keep the frame doubling of the TVs active? Then hello to massive input lag...

- do console games always have some massive motion blur active to make it look smoother?

I mean I have an Xbox 360 and the few 30 fps games I played on it looked exactly like I would activate "vsync - half refresh rate" on my pc.
Stuttering for the first few hours of playing, then you somehow get used to it but it's still kinda awful...

There has been a lot of discussions over this, in general it`s just optimization of games for consoles, and I`m not talking here about ACC in particular, haven`t tried it on console and not planning to, I prefer PC for simracing, console for action/adventure/arcade games.

There are several reasons, for that. in the end it`s just subjective feeling, but as long as it allows for a smooth gameplay, I`d say it`s ok.

This guys has taken the topic a bit here:

PS. what happened to this community, it used to bunch of friendly guys willing to race together, now you state one opinion and there are attacks and laughers from every side, or maybe I`m just getting old ;)

There has been a lot of discussions over this, in general it`s just optimization of games for consoles, and I`m not talking here about ACC in particular, haven`t tried it on console and not planning to, I prefer PC for simracing, console for action/adventure/arcade games.

There are several reasons, for that. in the end it`s just subjective feeling, but as long as it allows for a smooth gameplay, I`d say it`s ok.

This guys has taken the topic a bit here:

PS. what happened to this community, it used to bunch of friendly guys willing to race together, now you state one opinion and there are attacks and laughers from every side, or maybe I`m just getting old ;)
Thanks for the video! :)
So what he says:
- TVs often do frame interpolation, which should be shut off by selecting a "gaming mode", if you don't want to have massive input lag.

- consoles do run locked and vsync'ed 30 fps, which most pc users that experience 30 fps won't do.

Overall: if you put your TV into gaming mode so it behaves like a normal pc monitor and run vsync at 30 fps, which would be similar to the consoles, it's the same experience.

Now I have to say I played assassin's creed: black flag at 30 fps vsync on my PC because my old graphics card couldn't run it like I wanted it to look like.
It was okay but I had headache, eye strain and saw the stutter even after an hour of playing it every second day.

Just not for me.. But I'm sensitive!

Last edited:
"
- TVs often due frame interpolation, which should be shut off by selecting a "gaming mode", if you don't want to have massive input lag.

- consoles do run locked and vsync'ed 30 fps, which most pc users that experience 30 fps won't do.

Overall: if you put your TV into gaming mode so it behaves like a normal pc monitor and run vsync at 30 fps, which would be similar to the consoles, it's the same experience."

...there's plenty of tv's with native 100/120hz panels(hopefully no one use any lowest tier tv's which can't be good no matter what you do), many games which are 60fps, really are that. Some tv's support 120Hz 1080/1440 or even with 4K via HDMI 2.0/2.1. So I don't know what that guy try to say there, but hey, even I sometimes say something which even I myself dont't understand.

Back in days I used my Sony 1080p tv to drive everything from pc too, ie iRacing with around 120-140fps then, was definitely smother, even when tv was "60hz", with game mode of course. No input lag etc. Of coutse 120/144 or more in 120/144Hz display is even smoother and more fluid.

I'm scratching my head over this "on pc you need 60 fps but on consoles, 30 fps look fine".

Can somehow explain to me why? Any links?

My ideas would be:

- do consoles have some kind of frame doubling? I doubt...

- do these people keep the frame doubling of the TVs active? Then hello to massive input lag...

- do console games always have some massive motion blur active to make it look smoother?

I mean I have an Xbox 360 and the few 30 fps games I played on it looked exactly like I would activate "vsync - half refresh rate" on my pc.
Stuttering for the first few hours of playing, then you somehow get used to it but it's still kinda awful...

Yes his comment was inaccurate. On PC to play at 30fps on a 60hz monitor you need to enable half-rate vsync. Probably with double or triple buffering. I havent seen the footage on console yet. Either way it should look and feel exactly like 30fps on console.

They more than likely did test it. But once any product leaves the safety of testing and gets released to the general population problems will pop up.

I thought the whole benefit of consoles was that they are all the same, it doesn't make sense for people to have such different experiences. Could some of these people be running modded consoles?

The bottom line is consoles are rubbish for sim racing. I don't know why people are always surprised when they fail to deliver the PC experience.

I think FPS snobbery is a real delusion.

Kunos and 505 games need to bring in money, so console versions happen. Life would probably be easier for Kunos if they could just ignore the consoles.

Thats amazing you've managed to quote something i never said, in a thread i am pretty sure i havent commented on before now?

Back in days I used my Sony 1080p tv to drive everything from pc too, ie iRacing with around 120-140fps then, was definitely smother, even when tv was "60hz", with game mode of course. No input lag etc. Of coutse 120/144 or more in 120/144Hz display is even smoother and more fluid.

It's not possible to have a "smoother" experience without either adding input lag or FPS, simple as that. Once you do any type of real-time filtering, be it slow TV dynamics, triple buffering or V-sync, you are by definition adding input lag, this is what signal processing theory says. Any kind of perceived smoothness in consoles or on a TV will come at a cost of getting those frames later.

It's not like PC drivers are much better. Have you tried an open lobby in AC? Especially on Monza the majority can't figure out how to brake for t1. So get off your high horse.
Ooh. See, told ya it would stir up a few peeps. This man here, ie. ME! Does not like horses even a high one. I think you should read the post again. People, well, youngsters who generally play on consoles don’t normally take the SIM as serious as PC users. Now, I am generalising. So, to mix the two platforms would not be a good idea. Has anyone been racing against someone using a hand control thingy? They are generally (that word again) very unpredictable.

Well, opening for the console market sounds at first sight positive, with rapidly growing online users, but:
- will graphics be simplified to comply with console hardware?
- will the number of servers increase? Right now you cannot allow yourself to play on too many open servers, destroying your SA and preventing for CP server competition. More CP servers should be thinked in this process

If more CP servers are added in addition to letting the console market in, ACC has IMHO the possibility to become a huge mainstream success, and not only a niche product dedicated for us 'nerdy' simmers.

Last edited:
30 fps super low resolution low detail. Nah, I've seen that with Train Sim World. It looks super bad at PS4. Even a 180 euro PC will look better.

But wait, the console version should have the GT4's, are they in now?

This is such a shame. :( I hate it when publishers money grab, maybe they should pay their army of executives (have you seen a games credits lately......chump McGuffin, senior vice president of marketing analytics.....Like I give a crap about that guy!) a LOT less. Kunos deserve better than this.

It's funny to see a real race driver having the PC version & actually upload his gameplay review of the console version.

There's another video that explain why 30fps is smoother on console, insert kunos game as example. It remind me the time when I was making fun of the Sony fanboys with the PS tripple how bad is 30fps. They were almost about to go to 24P.

Some games look terrible even at higher fps. A good example is Forza 3/4 on the Microsoft XBOX 360. I recorded the replay in slow motion at 0.5 speed at 30fps & converted the thing at 60fps. It still looked garbage.

It's a good thing it's about GT3 cars & few cares about it. If it would be a drifting game with road car with Kunos name into it, the brand name would be ruined.

Here are the current Xbox player reviews for ACC, overwhelmingly negative as Steam might say. Many Xbox One users continue to be unable to use mainstream wheels and the framerate for others is unplayable. While on the PS4 version most wheels work to some extent though lack many of the usual options, on Xbox One getting a wheel to work at all is hit and miss.

ACC Xbox Reviews.png

These are listed as the most helpful reviews:
ACC Xbox Reviews2.jpg

There are many other widely reported issues that we experienced too:

Overheating (PS4 Pro, XboxS, & X) - all consoles are heating up quickly when playing this game and the pattern we are seeing is when the console heats up the framerate and shuddering graphics issues intensify. Best to have your console in an open space with a big fan pointing at it when playing this game - for the life of your console!

Input lag - awful input lag with wheels though this seems much reduced on gamepads. The player has to learn to drive around the lag and compensate for it. Couple this with a variable framerate and it becomes frustrating with many spins caused by the delay/lag. Kunos must have known they were releasing a game on console to a generally younger audience who quickly get fed up with having to adapt like this? Ou go-kart racing mad kids labelled the game (on PS4 Pro) 'trash' within an hour and game me the disc back! 30fps isn't so much an issue, we play many games at 45fps in VR, it's the stutter and lag that make the game frustrating.

Gamepad implementation - certainly an acquired taste. I played racing games on gamepads for many years before moving over to a wheel. My lap times on pad and wheel are comparable on almost all racing games. The ACC gamepad manages to be both oversensitive and somehow assisted at the same time. The player car is sometimes thrown off track at strange angles for no obvious reason, this may again be lag, at other times it's as if an invisible assist saves the car from sliding. One thing is for certain no matter the view using a controller the car movements look completely unnatural, especially on the external view. I watched Random Callsign streaming ACC PS4 and he lasted about 2 minutes on the pad with multiple crashes before quickly going back to the wheel. Given the problems with the wheel detection on Xbox if the pad had been even half-decent it might have saved the game for now.

Xbox One X - at 4K the graphics on Xbox One X are strangely washed out and look almost pastel compared to the same game with the same settings on the same screens on Xbox S and PS4 Pro. It's odd to look at, I can only assume it's some part of how they got the game to run in 4K. It looks nothing like the PC 4k but that may again be framerate causing the fuzziness.

Having been caught out buying the digital editions of AC last time (and having a hell of a fight with MS over consumer rights to a refund, which eventually we did get) I bought disc versions this time. Both the PS4 and Xbox discs have been traded in for a small loss, Kunos can call that a bonus for how good the PC game is!

The wheel issues might be fixed but I'm doubtful the input lag and framerate can be improved much. I might pick up another copy when the next generation consoles arrive - once I hear reviews that the game runs as it should.

Another real shame as I think on next-gen consoles ACC could have delivered a great experience. I suppose the competition with FM8 and GT7 etc would just be too great for them to have waited. It remains obvious the console market is an afterthought for 505 games and Kunos. At best I'd advise anyone thinking of buying ACC on console wait until the main issues are fixed or better still wait until next-gen consoles can deliver a decent ACC experience.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing