Assetto Corsa Competizione: McLaren 720S GT3 Coming to the Sim

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Acc McLaren 720S GT3.jpg

In something of an unexpected move, the rather tasty McLaren 720s GT3 will soon be making an appearance in Assetto Corsa Competizione...

Teasing the car on the Assetto Corsa Competizione social channels a coupe of days ago, Kunos Simulazioni have revealed the new car will be heading to the simulation in the near future, with the McLaren 720s GT3 due to be added to the title as part of the ongoing McLaren Shadow eSport competition.

Having not taken part in either the 2018 or 2019 Blancpain GT Series, the confirmation of the latest piece of racing machinery from McLaren is indeed a welcome surprise, and one that Kunos are understandably pleased to be able to announce for their current racing sim.

With the virtual car already at an advanced stage of development, it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against its fellow GT3 rivals once it releases in the very near future.

If you missed the new trailer first time, check it out again below:
Assetto Corsa Competizione is available now exclusively for PC.

For all the latest news and discussion regarding the world of ACC, head over to the Assetto Corsa Competizione sub forum for great Racing Club online action, community chatter and the latest and greatest news for the title.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Pretty sure this was a mistake, its been said since that its 6 new cars - I think you've totted them up nicely.

Personally I'm upset they've decided to include this unexpected and awesome car... because its going to take away all the attention the 2019 Aston would've otherwise gotten as the most 'new' car (yeah the 2019 Porsche is new, but lets be real, 911's have looked the same forever, and the rest are 'Evo' cars). :roflmao:

For real though the 720 is the first modern mclaren that is visually pleasing imo, all the previous ones have been a bit clinical for my liking. Can't wait to try it.

They clearly said 7, you can check right here:

11:05

OK, got it. Thanks for the tip.But it still runs like sh*t for me on my system. As long as it's so badly optimised for my particular system, I'll run rF2 or R3E, or indeed PC2 or KartKarft instead. They all run wonderfully, without having to jump through hoops and mess around for hours changing this and that.
Thank goodness I bought the EA version, so I'm not much out of pocket. I had hoped that it would turn into something worth using, but somehow it doesn't cut it ( at the moment, for me )

OK, got it. Thanks for the tip.But it still runs like sh*t for me on my system. As long as it's so badly optimised for my particular system ... I had hoped that it would turn into something worth using, but somehow it doesn't cut it ( at the moment, for me )
Don't hold your breath for optimizations if you want to stay with your 4c/4th CPU. It's simply not enough for ACC even in 2D.
Just saying :cautious:

Went to Silverstone with Help for Heroes. Got 7 laps in a 720S on the GP Circuit with a Mclaren Driver.
it was wet, and while we were doing 170 ish down Hangar Straight and the right hand corner looming upon us, he gently said *Ah, I think we may have slicks on!" whereupon I nearly shat myself.

• Deleted member 197115

Don't hold your breath for optimizations if you want to stay with your 4c/4th CPU. It's simply not enough for ACC even in 2D.
Somehow my overclocked i9-9900k is not helping either. Would be nice to hear from devs on VR optimization plans, unless it is what it is and work there is done.

Would an upgrade to an i7 Kaby Lake help? I have a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 mainboard, it supports 7th gen. i7 LGA1151 CPUs, it should just drop right in. AFAICS it doesn't even need a BIOS update.
EDIT: just seen that the Kaby Lake only has 4 cores, the 8 core version is 1151 Gen 2, which I don't think my MB supports.Rats!
EDIT 2: now I need to find out if my MB supports an i7 9700K Coffee Lake, LGA 1151 gen 1, that has 8 cores. Otherwise I need a new MB too

Last edited:
Somehow my overclocked i9-9900k is not helping either.
Same CPU here just in stock settings. It works like charm at my "pancake". It's behavior is very chill'ish :p

Would an upgrade to an i7 Kaby Lake help? I have a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 mainboard, it supports 7th gen. i7 LGA1151 CPUs, it should just drop right in. AFAICS it doesn't even need a BIOS update.
EDIT: just seen that the Kaby Lake only has 4 cores, the 8 core version is 1151 Gen 2, whichn I don't think my MB supports.Rats!

I can't talk about VR but out of my experience 4cores/4threads are not enought to run the game even at a monitor without stuttering and frame drops.
So I've replaced my good old I5-4670K (4.1GHz all cores) with an I7-4790K (4.4GHz all cores) and it was a great performance boost. Even with much higher settings. Just because HTT. Did some test with HTT on/off here:
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...ops-and-cpu-usage-warning.55972/#post-1046379

But again I was forced to update my system again because my Mainboard died.
So I ended up with an I9 9900K, MSI Z390 Gaming Pro, 16GB DDR4 3000 and a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 as new parts.(****ing expensive stuff :sick:)

To your question: Everything with more cores/threads will help you performance wise but I'm not able to tell you how much.

I hope it's useful for you. :thumbsup:

Same CPU here just in stock settings. It works like charm at my "pancake". It's behavior is very chill'ish :p

I can't talk about VR but out of my experience 4cores/4threads are not enought to run the game even at a monitor without stuttering and frame drops.
So I've replaced my good old I5-4670K (4.1GHz all cores) with an I7-4790K (4.4GHz all cores) and it was a great performance boost. Even with much higher settings. Just because HTT. Did some test with HTT on/off here:
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...ops-and-cpu-usage-warning.55972/#post-1046379

But again I was forced to update my system again because my Mainboard died.
So I ended up with an I9 9900K, MSI Z390 Gaming Pro, 16GB DDR4 3000 and a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 as new parts.(****ing expensive stuff :sick:)

To your question: Everything with more cores/threads will help you performance wise but I'm not able to tell you how much.

I hope it's useful for you. :thumbsup:
Thanks for your helpful reply :). I've asked on the computec sub-forum as to whether an i7 9700K would work in my mainboard. Otherwise I need a new mainboard too. My 1080 vid. card can stay, and I already have 16Gb DDR4 . Seems like a plan?

Thanks for your helpful reply :). I've asked on the computec sub-forum as to whether an i7 9700K would work in my mainboard. Otherwise I need a new mainboard too. My 1080 vid. card can stay, and I already have 16Gb DDR4 . Seems like a plan?
The I7 9700K should be a massive improvement over your current CPU:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K/4030vs3503

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/de/compare_cpu-intel_core_i5_6600k-521-vs-intel_core_i7_8700k-763

I really hope it will suit your expectations :thumbsup:

• Deleted member 197115

Afraid going back to 2D world is not an option for me anymore. :(
There is very little scaling past 4 cores in sims as engine usually utilizes just few threads.
More powerful cores help though.
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...nt-and-ram-scaling-in-acc-ac1-and-r3e.172320/

Afraid going back to 2D world is not an option for me anymore. :(
There is very little scaling past 4 cores in sims as engine usually utilizes just few threads.
More powerful cores help though.
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...nt-and-ram-scaling-in-acc-ac1-and-r3e.172320/
Yes and no :geek: Ofc more clock speed is always helpful but your linked test dosn't line up with my tests. (Talking just about ACC in 2D) The HTT of the I7-4790K became very useful in my case because it eliminates close to all stuttering and frame drops especially in situations with many cars close around.
With HTT off I've had a very close performance to my I5-4670K.

But this is just my experience and it may different from others :)

if the 720 doesn‘t BOPed to the rest GT3 grid, it will be a typically KUNOS shot: Standalone racing cars for hot lapping. Plz BOP this beauty, at least IMSA like. MC12 GT1 was that annoying issue
There are 4 BoP track categories,and they are the same for all blancpain leagues,so since it is BoP'ed for Blancpain Asia,it will be too in the game.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%