Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We sit down with Kunos Simulazioni Co-Founder, Brand & Product Manager Marco Massarutto to talk Assetto Corsa Competizione past, present and future..

At the recent SRO E-Sport GT Series event in Monza, we took the opportunity to spend some time with Marco Massarutto of Kunos Simulazioni and ask him about the Steam Early Access title Assetto Corsa Competizione - the official game of the Blancpain GT Series.

Taking part in a special media event on the Friday prior to commencement of the new SRO E-Sport GT Series, Marco takes the time to give some insight into the development of Assetto Corsa Competizione, talking about how the game is progressing following Kunos move to Unreal Engine 4, what the future holds and plenty more besides.

Enjoy!

For more about the SRO E-Sport GT Series, head over to the official forum and connect with your fellow eSport drivers!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
upload_2019-5-10_17-7-43.png

That moment when you interview an Italian who needs his hands for talking. 28 excruciating minutes.
:D

ACC is a great game, great graphics, good handling, good physics, but I just realized that there was never intention of making a competitve online game from this...in my opinion and taking a look at the sector and how private commuties develope their leagues, I think it is time to start taking more seriously the official series, for two main reasons: If you want money from your game you will have the ones that want to compete and the ones that are not willing to do so...it is a wide target
But if you are focusing in developing a game that offers the tools to compete online but by its nature you are not pushing it to make it happens you will only end up with the ones that are not willing to compete.

Personally since i decided to support AC1 around 2014 I put a lot of hope in having a complete amazing simulation title, because for the most part I am really glad with the work Kunos did and keeps doing, but i gets to a point where things get serious or interest gets lost

For me it is so dissapointing I asked for refund, but at the end it is just my opinion, and I'm not the one interested in earning money with it

See you next time Kunos...maybe on AC3?

Last edited:
I think its really cool he mentions that it’s a simulation and waves ‘game’ away. Normally for pro teams they have their own ‘simulation’ not available to the public. And in this respect they are giving us the whole shabang, otherwise a ACC Pro version would be available to the teams but from what I gather nope we get what they get and that’s good:)

Regarding Triples v UltraWide. I have a motion platform and *had* a 34in Ultrawide on it... moved away from it as (a) was going to break the screen sooner or later and (b) once it moved off the chassis you need a bigger screen to compensate for being further away.

Went to triple's (3x32" 2k) I wouldn't want to go back. Way more immersive- when there's proper triple support it's awesome being side by side with other cars etc. It's been unanimous amongst my mates who come over, they all love the triple setup. Obviously need incredible hardware to push 6k worth of pixels, my 1080 ti is definitely running out of puff.

Obligatory note: VR makes me sick before anyone suggests VR.

No structured multiplayer and matchmaking, as expected. Kunos has been so dismissive of it so that was the only conclusion.

It's sad, but not unexpected. Its not only sad because it isn't there, but because kunos wasn't straightforward enough to tell it from the get go.

Pretty happy with ACC up to now and looking forward on whats to come with V1(.x).
Met Marco at the Nürburgring Expo last year. Nice guy talking to. Kunos prooved with AC they deliver great stuff, remember the 1st release and what it's now.

Something like an official championship would be great and the SRS platform would fit perfectly. They already hired Minolin and he's done great stuff to evaluate players.
Why not get Mr. SRS on it, too? ;-)

In my perfect (impossible) world, they could've just licensed the graphics engine from PC2.

Whatever its other faults, PC2 consistently looks great, delivers excellent weather visuals in particular, and is much less GPU-intensive than UE4 will apparently ever be. I feel like UE4 needs a GPU from the year 2021 to really be happy at 4k or in VR.
I get decent framerates in 4k and VR looks even better with my Odyssey compare to pCars 2 with similar framerates. I just can't read the HUD with hUDLayerType 1 and with type 2 is probably somewhere hiding in the basement.

In 4k i had to tune down a few settings to be over 60 fps in every circumstances and often over 100, but there is still display-lag similar to active v-sync in other titles and i guess some of it is caused by the borderless 'fullscreen'. I get definitely less lag in Dirt Rally 2.0 or pCars 2 by comparing how fast the visual wheel corresponds to the real one and proper fullscreen seems to help. ACC in VR feels more responsive and it helps.

PS: People saying Kartkraft looks awesome and runs much better in VR than ACC, so i guess the engine is not the problem here. I will buy this title once Sim Commander provides support.

Last edited:
SRO makes the Blancpain GT3 in America and the GT4 european and France series too
Incidentally the EuroGT4 Is a collateral event to the GT3 series and drive on the same tracks so It would be easy Just to add the GT4 cars

Pls Kunos give us the amazing X-Bow GT4! :D

This "it's a sim, not a game"-argument is nuts, because sims are games and nothing wrong with it. You can get severely injured in all kind of ball-games, but stupid mistakes usually don't cause physical harm like in Sim-Racing. Just real fighting, racing and athletic sports are not called games, but with infinite cars in a fake-reality more safe than a walk outside it objectively shifts to a game-thing. Never heard of Golf-, Chess- or Tennisplayer complaining for calling their sports 'games' and makes more sense for me to establish Sim-Racing as a gamey sport discipline, because they are more than 'just' computer games.

"Simracers" are a funny bunch, they really don't like to be called "gamers" and be thrown into the same bunch as first person shooters and Fortnight players and yet some of the most incredible human beings train their whole life to once achieve to compete for their nation and themselves at the Olympic Games !

Sim racers are a pretentious bunch ;-)

Thanks.

Part of me is wondering, it's because people have had triples they naturally want them. No one likes change you see, as humans we can be bad at dealing with it. Hence my question.

Of course, everyone is different. But on the flip side, if people dip their tow into ultrawide they might like it.

Your point here is simply incorrect.

A multi screen setup with multi screen projection is by definition a technical improvement over a single single 2 dimensional projection screen.
There is simply no argument if one or the other is better or worse or that users of triple screen setups like to keep their status quo.

It is the analogy of the one day that all car manufacturers phase out motorized vehicle production and start setting wooden carts you can pull with your donkey or horse or cow. One is simply the technical evolution of the other. One is better then the other, more immersive, more accurate, offering more options.

One could have the same argument about VR goggles vs screen based devices - VR is the evolution of 2 dimensional screens. There is just no argument about that.

The current situation though is that with proper multi projection multi screen support there are more options to the user.
You can go for a cheap route, get three 27" computer screens, angle them properly and have a great experience.
You can also go for three very large screens (like 42" TV screens) and have a somewhat different experience or you can do what most racing teams on a big budget are doing, built a large, life sized projection screen surface and drive that large 180º projection wall with three projectors and sophisticated perspective control software.
These options are only possible with proper multi screen support (which UE4 completely lacks sadly) and they do offer flexible and FAR SUPERIOR results than any use of any commercially available single computer screen.

On a very tight budget or with very limited space to your sim racing gear setup a single screen can offer great value. It can never ever compete though on immersion and flexibility to build the ultimate experience at todays technology.

In 20 years we may not even have that discussion any longer as by then VR systems will be developed to a quality and convenience where they make any other display device obsolete. Right now though multi screen is here to stay. I wouldn't want to race anything without proper multi screen support (and so far although I enjoyed ACC in many ways as of its much improved aero, tire and suspension physics I have not used ACC more than the occasional look see).
ACC usually has found me hitting ALT+F4 sooner than later as of the horrid display issues and I rather spend my time in AC + CSP + SOL which provides such a polished experience.

"Simracers" are a funny bunch, they really don't like to be called "gamers" and be thrown into the same bunch as first person shooters and Fortnight players and yet some of the most incredible human beings train their whole life to once achieve to compete for their nation and themselves at the Olympic Games !

Sim racers are a pretentious bunch ;-)
I think lots of people just have an instant negative feeling from the word gamer just like they have from the word simcade. It is viewed as derogatory term regardless of how accurate it is. With simcade for example lots of people simply take it that it is a bad simulator. A game that tries to be a sim and fails. I think the more accurate version of that word is a game that between a hardcore sim and a driving game. Of course sims are also driving games as sims are just a sub genre of driving games. And when you want definitions inside our niche I think sim and simcade are useful terms. At least for me simcade is not a word that defines quality but more of a word that defines a genre. Forzas and gran turismos are simcade and I think they are great fun games. But if you don't have the word simcade it becomes a lot more difficult to make the distinction between forza and gt and some of the more hardcore titles.

Same thing with the word gamer. Most people see it as a word that defines this 20 year old dudebro sitting in a pile of doritos in front of his parents tv playing the latest call of battlefield while discussing the sex life of the other peoples' parents. Of course in reality the gamer should just mean a person playing games on his console/pc and that's it. But just like the word simcade the word gamer carries this negative association which makes people reject the word. I think we are all gamers in the end but I can understand why some people don't like the word and don't want to be a gamer. The media certainly does not use the word with any respect so the word certainly is dirty to some degree.

All in all I don't think accepting or declining to use certain terms makes people pretentious. Of course there are always going to be people who use these words just to feel superior and to put other people down to bring themselves up. Elitism and all that crap. But at I think people like you are doing great disservice to people in our little niche by using the word simracer in negative way. There are always going to be small number of elitist ***holes in any genre and just because some small group decided to make the game/sim defition a matter of good and evil should not be taken as something that represents everyone whose hobby is simracing. I think anybody who uses the word "simracers" with the quotation marks is actively working to undermine our hobby and sport.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back