Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We sit down with Kunos Simulazioni Co-Founder, Brand & Product Manager Marco Massarutto to talk Assetto Corsa Competizione past, present and future..

At the recent SRO E-Sport GT Series event in Monza, we took the opportunity to spend some time with Marco Massarutto of Kunos Simulazioni and ask him about the Steam Early Access title Assetto Corsa Competizione - the official game of the Blancpain GT Series.

Taking part in a special media event on the Friday prior to commencement of the new SRO E-Sport GT Series, Marco takes the time to give some insight into the development of Assetto Corsa Competizione, talking about how the game is progressing following Kunos move to Unreal Engine 4, what the future holds and plenty more besides.

Enjoy!

For more about the SRO E-Sport GT Series, head over to the official forum and connect with your fellow eSport drivers!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I disagreed with your suggestion (at least that is what I made of it) that the view on widescreens would be as good as on triples. I have tried both and widescreens don't even come close to the (obviously) surround feel triples offer. That is if you put them in the right angle and not (as I know some do) use them as a very wide (almost) flat screen.

Thanks. I've not used triples so don't have anything to reference.

Thanks. I've not used triples so don't have anything to reference.

I've used trips and agree with you.

I now use a 34" ultrawide and prefer it for three reasons.
1) It's cleaned up the appearance of my sim cave and has given me back space.
2) When racing I'm faster and more consistent when I move my eyes, not my entire head.
3) I'm obviously getting much better performance now not having to push three screens.
I'm not saying trips are bad, they are enjoyable but I would never build another rig like that today now that we are in a VR/Ultrawide world.

I've used trips and agree with you.

I now use a 34" ultrawide and prefer it for three reasons.
1) It's cleaned up the appearance of my sim cave and has given me back space.
2) When racing I'm faster and more consistent when I move my eyes, not my entire head.
3) I'm obviously getting much better performance now not having to push three screens.
I'm not saying trips are bad, they are enjoyable but I would never build another rig like that today now that we are in a VR/Ultrawide world.

Thanks.

Part of me is wondering, it's because people have had triples they naturally want them. No one likes change you see, as humans we can be bad at dealing with it. Hence my question.

Of course, everyone is different. But on the flip side, if people dip their tow into ultrawide they might like it.

I disagreed with your suggestion (at least that is what I made of it) that the view on widescreens would be as good as on triples. I have tried both and widescreens don't even come close to the (obviously) surround feel triples offer. That is if you put them in the right angle and not (as I know some do) use them as a very wide (almost) flat screen.
Yup. I have mine at 45 degree so i turn my head to look out the side windows and seeing the cars coming up side by side. Awesome feeling and hard to stop using (just like VR guys having a hard time going to monitor).

Are you serious ?
There IS no proper triple screen support. A one screen ilage stretched over three screens is not wat it should be. It looks like crap.

I saw it just in youtoube videos and the camera wasn't exactly in the center so its difficult to say how it is in reality. If I interpret it from users they are having triple it seems to be like earlier forza with stretched screens?

In my perfect (impossible) world, they could've just licensed the graphics engine from PC2.

Whatever its other faults, PC2 consistently looks great, delivers excellent weather visuals in particular, and is much less GPU-intensive than UE4 will apparently ever be. I feel like UE4 needs a GPU from the year 2021 to really be happy at 4k or in VR.

Oh well, at least they didn't go with...Unity :confused:
Pcars and pcars2 is an AA Jaggie mess when it comes to any line. Very distracting

I would honestly expect them to support triples down the line.
I've dabbled in UE4 for the last couple of months and they released the ndisplay feature last summer that basically does multi-monitor display.
Here's a fun video of how they used it for a Childish Gambino concert:

• Deleted member 379375

I would honestly expect them to support triples down the line.
I've dabbled in UE4 for the last couple of months and they released the ndisplay feature last summer that basically does multi-monitor display.
Here's a fun video of how they used it for a Childish Gambino concert:

The problem is you read some nvidia press release and they have VR Works full of multi-screen goodness.
Then go to EA and they talk about VRWorks support .
Then hear from devs and they say the engine they are using doesn't support it, nvdia has gone quite on it for over a year and it's hard to implement.

We'll just have to see what if anything they do to improve things.

It would be nice for the future if they could still stick with the Blancpain series, but also hoping they would do the American Blancpain GT3 series and all the American tracks they race on. I have mods for AC1 that somewhat cover the tracks and cars. Just a suggestion for the future. Good video review. take care

Whatever else, Kunos doesn't seem to care a fig about the American market. If I had one wish to make for ACC2, it would be that it be moddable.

Hopefully eyes will survive first generations of VR. Jason Mullin made some good points why tripples aren't awesome for not so hardcore simracer (I think even hardcore simracer can do without triples).

It is definitely an ultrawide era. And VR era, despite that VR is still awful.

I also would like to say that it is so awesome how much attention tripple screen topic gets, it consumes so much attention we can avoid so many good and bad discussion about all other stuff :D

The FOV with a large single screen is still much different than triples. Using triples you can easily see your side mirrors and get a much better wrapped sensation that helps with the feeling of speed as well as seeing people next to you.

I saw a 49" wide screen the other day and although it looked impressive, you barely got one mirror on the FOV.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 86 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 59 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 125 13.8%