Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizioni Interview Question.jpg

Having snagged a nice interview with Kunos Simulazioni about the new Assetto Corsa Competizione simulation, we want your interview questions!

So in the spirit of community engagement I need your help once again! I've got an interview lined up with the developers of the upcoming Assetto Corsa Competizione and would like you all to throw down your burning questions for the devs...

Please keep it compact, sensible and concise and one question per post please. Make it easy on me, I expect lots of responses.. !

While I have your attention, feel free to pop in your wish list requests on this thread HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione should be available on Steam Early Access Summer 2018.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting upcoming sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Go on then, get your questions in below!

Will the AI be to the same high standard as AC? It's currently the best of any sim IMO, but it took a long time to get there. It would be a shame to have to start from scratch again and perhaps be not as good.

you are too good, I don't think they are the best honestly... there are other teams out there with much more experience than us.

To answer your question, AI is actually part of the physics subsystem we brought over from AC.. so ACC will be an evolution of what we have in AC with the added bonus of the tighter focus that will enable us to try something different such as evolutionary algorithms that we can pre process before shipping the game.

you are too good, I don't think they are the best honestly... there are other teams out there with much more experience than us.

To answer your question, AI is actually part of the physics subsystem we brought over from AC.. so ACC will be an evolution of what we have in AC with the added bonus of the tighter focus that will enable us to try something different such as evolutionary algorithms that we can pre process before shipping the game.

Will you/are you able to give them more personality traits? For example you're racing against Dick Jones and you know he likes to defend a lot, then you're racing against Sally Hairswhip and you know she likes to attack more so than other drivers etc, based on real drivers not those made up ones that is :D
Also will the AI be better in certain conditions? I know ACC will have real life drivers so will you mimic their abilities in the rain vs dry? (Not sure which drivers in Blancpain are "best" in the wet but it would be cool to see that in game), thanks.

Hehe that's fine as long as it's in mind that's a good thing, AI personalities are not a "needed" feature as such but they do enhance the overall AI experience, thanks for the response :)

that's the plan... but there is a huge difference between a plan and a done thing... so I won't really comment on things until they are actually done and working.

I guess you'll hear this a lot in the following months... so get used to it :p

that's the plan... but there is a huge difference between a plan and a done thing... so I won't really comment on things until they are actually done and working.

I guess you'll hear this a lot in the following months... so get used to it :p

Instead of writing a competitive computed opponent on your own, maybe you could enable people plugging in their own code?

With the telemetry you send out (and given track 3D data) we would have much of the input needed already (including the positions of other cars). What is missing is a way to control a car. Right now we would have to go through emulated HID drivers on an OS level. If you could make something like the Python interface and allow sending controller inputs to the game engine that would go a long way.

(obviously for now I am talking about a programmed opponent here that needs its own computer and own game instance and races a human player via the multiplayer interface)

@kunos
Talking about physics, since you and Marco said using the same physics for AI cars and our car, means an heavy occupancy for the CPU and therefore you have to limit the number of cars in the sim up to 30, more likely, due to this bottleneck, I was thinking:

Scalability?
  • set the number of AI cars according to the CPU in use
  • set the number of visible cars (as rfactor/2 does).
  • set the physics of AI cars equal to our car or simplified (as it is now for every sim)
Is this scalability possible to be applied to ACC?

You set the default system requirements for the game, but you leave it scalable. Therefore, by default the game runs with 30 AI cars with equal physics, but every single user can adapt the physics to his processor, so an 8th Gen CPU can run XX cars instead of only 30, for example.

Now I don't know if this is feasible or impossible. That's why I ask you Stefano.
E' teoricamente possible rendere scalabile ACC?

Whether this scalability is possible or not, would be nice to have the real number of pit boxes available, to avoid the double slots as it happens for the original AC tracks (via modding) .
Cheers!

If you ever release IMSA will we see a full grid of cars? Or will it be limited to only 24?
Kunos have SRO license and this should be the whole title of he game:
"ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE, the official Blancpain GT Series game".

If you then consider the amount of time and money you need to make a deal with such big companies, then flying to the locations to scan the tracks and talk with teams, since IMSA is in USA, Kunos would need another team located in USA.

Consider I was one of the first asking for IMSA, sending my tweet to Kunos Simulazioni and writing down my wish here on the forums.
But after listening the interviews, I realize it's a huge task to do it while they are developing ACC to portrait Blancpain GT Series.

If we are lucky, which means they sell a lot of copies, we could have in the future DLCs from SRO motorsport Series like GT4 or other Series.

I fear to have IMSA in ACC we have to wait the contract with SRO will expire (2020 I think) and they focus to another game.

Last edited:
First of all, congratulation for the decision to concentrate on a popular single race series. In times of an excessive featurerism this is a very smart and clever move. My questions are as follows:
  • Will the implementation and the support of gamepads in ACC as good as in AC?
  • With respect to immersion - what´s about the implementation of real head motion control, spotter (crew chief) and voice control?
  • By the way ... what will happen to the Assetto Corsa engine? Will it be available as an engine for other commercial developer?
  • Implementation of more realistic racing rules? Minorating.com is very nice but a bit far away from what is usual practice on real race tracks
  • Last but not least ... will we ever see a realistic motorcycle simulator, focussed on a single race series like WSBK or Endurance from Kunos?

Cheers

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 196 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years