Assetto Corsa Competizione | GT4 Pack DLC Review (Video)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
On July 15th the GT4 Pack DLC will be released for Assetto Corsa Competizione, and we had the opportunity to sample the new cars and build ahead of release - here is our impressions from this exciting new content.
  • Video review from the new DLC pack.
  • 54 new liveries representing 11 new GT4 cars from the 2019 European GT4 season.
  • Cars from Alpine, Audi, Aston Martin, BMW, Chevrolet, Ginetta, KTM, Maserati, McLaren, Mercedes, Porsche.
ACC GT4 Review Header.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Gameplay: Maserati MC GT4: Click Here.

As most of you will now be well aware, Assetto Corsa Competizione is the official simulation of the SRO organised GT World Challenge Europe GT3 championship - arguably the finest collection of GT3 teams and drivers in the world. Having started out life representing the main 2018 season, the simulation has been expanded in recent months to include the most recent 2019 season, and the very impressive Intercontinental GT Challenge teams and tracks.

In the latest DLC drop set to hit the public build of ACC this Wednesday 15th July, Kunos Simulazioni are set to release the 2019 GT4 European Series - a specification of car slightly below GT3 in both speed and technology, and an entirely different driving experience to the content already within the simulation.

Assetto Corsa Competizione GT4 Pack DLC Review:

• Online multiplayer features multiclass racing - no need to own GT4 cars to join server.
  • Server split into Mixed (default), GT3, GT4, SuperTrofeo and Cup.
  • Implementation of car electronics systems specific to certain GT4 cars.
Assetto Corsa Competizione | Watch again - Influencers vs Kunos livestream race: Click Here

As a new category is joining the simulation, Kunos have opened up the option to to race both the GT3 and GT4 together in online multiplayer lobbies, finally bringing multi-class racing to Assetto Corsa Competizione. As we now have a few different classifications represented within the simulation, the servers have been broken down into the following categories:

Mixed - Default setting, featuring all car combinations and multi-class.
GT3 - Only GT3 specification cars.
GT4 - Only GT4 specification cars.
ST - SuperTrofeo cars.
Cup - Cup series cars.

In a really nice move from the developers, players who don't own the GT4 content can still join and race in a mixed server driving the GT3 cars, however it is to be noted that multi-class racing is not included in the offline single player portion of the simulation.

ACC GT4 Review 3.png

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Gameplay: Porsche 718 Cayman Clubsport: Click Here

Additionally, with the new pack comes a brand new V1.5 build of the simulation, and that has some interesting changes and improvements, of which the following may be of interest...
  • Interactive track map on the garage screen and integration in game and on broadcast HUDs
  • Rework of controller management to support multiple instances of the same controller device
  • Rework of controller detection to better handle dis/reconnected devices in session
  • Better implementation of caster physics
  • Implementation of car electronics systems specific to certain GT4 cars

ACC GT4 Review 4.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Gameplay: Aston Martin Vantage GT4: Click Here.

So, what cars are included in the new pack? Well, we've got quite the selection of different design principles and stylings - one of the many reasons GT4 racing is absolutely incredible:
  • Alpine A110 GT4 (7 liveries)
  • Aston Martin Vantage GT4 (7 liveries)
  • Audi R8 LMS GT4 (4 liveries)
  • BMW M4 GT4 (8 liveries)
  • Chevrolet Camaro GT4R (2 liveries)
  • Ginetta G55 GT4 (1 liveries)
  • KTM X-Bow GT4 (3 liveries)
  • Maserati MC GT4 (1 liveries)
  • Mclaren 570S GT4 (5 liveries)
  • Mercedes AMG GT4 (10 liveries)
  • Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport (4 liveries)
That's 52 new liveries - making a rather nice collection of GT4 cars to race against on the various tracks within ACC!

ACC GT4 Review 1.jpg

Livestream Event.jpg

• New singleplayer modes specific to GT4 regulations.
  • Plenty of gameplay footage.
  • Check out how I got on in the GT4 celebrity livestream race.
On Monday evening, myself, Kunos Developers and a who bunch of sim racing personalities took to the online servers in ACC to race against each other in these new GT4 cars in two 20 minute races on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix and Zolder Circuits, and it was a blast! We had plenty of action and some nice close looks at the GT4 cars for the first time. If you missed it, you can check out the race from my perspective over on the RaceDepartment Twitch channel, HERE.

Back to single player, the new pack also includes some new gameplay modes to accompany the GT4 cars. As part of V1.5, we now have the option to race in events offline that mirror the real world GT4 European Series - as such, in single race mode, we now have two 60-minute single-category sprint races per weekend with driver swap in a designated pit window but without tyre change and refuelling. This is replicated as the official single player game mode. In the real-life series, tyres can only be changed if the weather conditions change mid-session. Cool.

Of course, if you wish to race in custom mode, you can set the event settings to however you choose.

All in all - very exciting times!

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available now on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

Got questions? Head over to the Assetto Corsa Competizione sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let the community be your guide!

ACC GT4 Review Footer.png

Last edited:
  • Alpine: "It drives funny. Doesn't respond"
  • Aston Martin Vantage GT4 "Why doesn't it come in pink"
  • Audi R8 LMS GT4: "The tire model seems to be sluggish"
  • BMW M4 GT4: "The engine doesn't sound quite right"
  • Chevrolet Camaro: "I can't see out of the back window"
  • Ginetta G55 GT4: "This is not like the real car"
  • KTM X-Bow GT4: "I don't like any of the liveries"
  • Maserati MC GT4: "Looks awful in VR"
  • Mclaren 570S GT4: "The one on ( insert sim here) drives much better"
  • Mercedes AMG GT4: " Why can't I customize this car"
  • Porsche 718 Cayman GT4: " They should have made a RUF instead"
"No VR, no buy"
" When do they release IMSA"
"When do they release BTCC"
" They should have more cars than this"
"It's too expensive"
" I prefer Iracing"

Ok, all of the whining is done. None after the release tomorrow please.

Is there a way we can setup our own AI rosters for this? 52 cars is great but it would be great to create a custom mix of cars for circuits where we can't have too many AIs
52 liveries is the total across the season, but actual races had 30-odd entries.

I suppose it works the exact same way as the existing GT3 series session modes. You're not forced to race the full grids.

Great, no multiclass for single player races. Will pass then.

Will there multiclass in single player eventually? Or they have no plans for that?

I'll get the DLC because of the cars and session mode. But yeah, the artificial limits placed on offline custom races is disappointing. Wish we had the freedom of AC1's custom grids back.

I looked into this game more seriously recently when I heard these are coming out but it is quite pricey if you are only interested in the GT4 cars. £45 for the game and tracks, it still leaves a lot to be desired on the track front but there are a few fun ones with the International DLC. Then however much the cars cost on top of that. I'll keep an eye on the price but it will have to drop a bit before I consider it, especially with the question mark over performance in VR with my gear.

• Better implementation of caster physics
Does this mean we will finally be able to feel road bumps in the steering wheel like AMS 2? If true, this would be a huge improvement in FFB. ACC will now only miss a "scrubbing" " and "engine" vibrations setting or .ini we can control...

I looked into this game more seriously recently when I heard these are coming out but it is quite pricey if you are only interested in the GT4 cars.

I haven't tried the GT4s myself, but i expect them to be at the same level of quality as the GT3s. The feel of this sim, and the level of detail really makes up for the "lack" of tracks and car classes. I wasn't really interested in GT3s when ACC was released, but i rarely touch any other sim now after ACC is out :thumbsup:
I really recommend to give it a go.

Dan Marr

Dan Marr - danfilm007 on Steam
52 liveries is the total across the season, but actual races had 30-odd entries.

I suppose it works the exact same way as the existing GT3 series session modes. You're not forced to race the full grids.

I'll get the DLC because of the cars and session mode. But yeah, the artificial limits placed on offline custom races is disappointing. Wish we had the freedom of AC1's custom grids back.

It's annoying really as you say as AC1 had a great ability to choose offline grids. With places like Zandvoort only having 23 or 24 spots it become a bit more of a pain to thin out the grid the way you'd like it to rather than the game deeming who's not worthy!

My heart says I should buy it on release date.

My brain tells me that it will be full of bugs that should be ironed out in a few months, plus to buy it at sale's price could be a good idea as I already have more games than my free time allows me to play.

I'm not sure who's gonna win.

• Alpine: "It drives funny. Doesn't respond"
  • Aston Martin Vantage GT4 "Why doesn't it come in pink"
  • Audi R8 LMS GT4: "The tire model seems to be sluggish"
  • BMW M4 GT4: "The engine doesn't sound quite right"
  • Chevrolet Camaro: "I can't see out of the back window"
  • Ginetta G55 GT4: "This is not like the real car"
  • KTM X-Bow GT4: "I don't like any of the liveries"
  • Maserati MC GT4: "Looks awful in VR"
  • Mclaren 570S GT4: "The one on ( insert sim here) drives much better"
  • Mercedes AMG GT4: " Why can't I customize this car"
  • Porsche 718 Cayman GT4: " They should have made a RUF instead"
"No VR, no buy"
" When do they release IMSA"
"When do they release BTCC"
" They should have more cars than this"
"It's too expensive"
" I prefer Iracing"

Ok, all of the whining is done. None after the release tomorrow please.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 116 27.8%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 68 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 41 9.8%
  • €3001-5000