Assetto Corsa Competizione | GT4 Pack DLC Review (Video)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
On July 15th the GT4 Pack DLC will be released for Assetto Corsa Competizione, and we had the opportunity to sample the new cars and build ahead of release - here is our impressions from this exciting new content.
  • Video review from the new DLC pack.
  • 54 new liveries representing 11 new GT4 cars from the 2019 European GT4 season.
  • Cars from Alpine, Audi, Aston Martin, BMW, Chevrolet, Ginetta, KTM, Maserati, McLaren, Mercedes, Porsche.
ACC GT4 Review Header.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Gameplay: Maserati MC GT4: Click Here.

As most of you will now be well aware, Assetto Corsa Competizione is the official simulation of the SRO organised GT World Challenge Europe GT3 championship - arguably the finest collection of GT3 teams and drivers in the world. Having started out life representing the main 2018 season, the simulation has been expanded in recent months to include the most recent 2019 season, and the very impressive Intercontinental GT Challenge teams and tracks.

In the latest DLC drop set to hit the public build of ACC this Wednesday 15th July, Kunos Simulazioni are set to release the 2019 GT4 European Series - a specification of car slightly below GT3 in both speed and technology, and an entirely different driving experience to the content already within the simulation.

Assetto Corsa Competizione GT4 Pack DLC Review:

• Online multiplayer features multiclass racing - no need to own GT4 cars to join server.
  • Server split into Mixed (default), GT3, GT4, SuperTrofeo and Cup.
  • Implementation of car electronics systems specific to certain GT4 cars.
Assetto Corsa Competizione | Watch again - Influencers vs Kunos livestream race: Click Here

As a new category is joining the simulation, Kunos have opened up the option to to race both the GT3 and GT4 together in online multiplayer lobbies, finally bringing multi-class racing to Assetto Corsa Competizione. As we now have a few different classifications represented within the simulation, the servers have been broken down into the following categories:

Mixed - Default setting, featuring all car combinations and multi-class.
GT3 - Only GT3 specification cars.
GT4 - Only GT4 specification cars.
ST - SuperTrofeo cars.
Cup - Cup series cars.

In a really nice move from the developers, players who don't own the GT4 content can still join and race in a mixed server driving the GT3 cars, however it is to be noted that multi-class racing is not included in the offline single player portion of the simulation.

ACC GT4 Review 3.png

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Gameplay: Porsche 718 Cayman Clubsport: Click Here

Additionally, with the new pack comes a brand new V1.5 build of the simulation, and that has some interesting changes and improvements, of which the following may be of interest...
  • Interactive track map on the garage screen and integration in game and on broadcast HUDs
  • Rework of controller management to support multiple instances of the same controller device
  • Rework of controller detection to better handle dis/reconnected devices in session
  • Better implementation of caster physics
  • Implementation of car electronics systems specific to certain GT4 cars

ACC GT4 Review 4.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Gameplay: Aston Martin Vantage GT4: Click Here.

So, what cars are included in the new pack? Well, we've got quite the selection of different design principles and stylings - one of the many reasons GT4 racing is absolutely incredible:
  • Alpine A110 GT4 (7 liveries)
  • Aston Martin Vantage GT4 (7 liveries)
  • Audi R8 LMS GT4 (4 liveries)
  • BMW M4 GT4 (8 liveries)
  • Chevrolet Camaro GT4R (2 liveries)
  • Ginetta G55 GT4 (1 liveries)
  • KTM X-Bow GT4 (3 liveries)
  • Maserati MC GT4 (1 liveries)
  • Mclaren 570S GT4 (5 liveries)
  • Mercedes AMG GT4 (10 liveries)
  • Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport (4 liveries)
That's 52 new liveries - making a rather nice collection of GT4 cars to race against on the various tracks within ACC!

ACC GT4 Review 1.jpg

Livestream Event.jpg

• New singleplayer modes specific to GT4 regulations.
  • Plenty of gameplay footage.
  • Check out how I got on in the GT4 celebrity livestream race.
On Monday evening, myself, Kunos Developers and a who bunch of sim racing personalities took to the online servers in ACC to race against each other in these new GT4 cars in two 20 minute races on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix and Zolder Circuits, and it was a blast! We had plenty of action and some nice close looks at the GT4 cars for the first time. If you missed it, you can check out the race from my perspective over on the RaceDepartment Twitch channel, HERE.

Back to single player, the new pack also includes some new gameplay modes to accompany the GT4 cars. As part of V1.5, we now have the option to race in events offline that mirror the real world GT4 European Series - as such, in single race mode, we now have two 60-minute single-category sprint races per weekend with driver swap in a designated pit window but without tyre change and refuelling. This is replicated as the official single player game mode. In the real-life series, tyres can only be changed if the weather conditions change mid-session. Cool.

Of course, if you wish to race in custom mode, you can set the event settings to however you choose.

All in all - very exciting times!

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available now on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

Got questions? Head over to the Assetto Corsa Competizione sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let the community be your guide!

ACC GT4 Review Footer.png

Last edited:
Nope, pretty steep price and no multiclass for offline races. I'll wait for a sale or when multiclass is patched in.

Still hope Kunos would do another AC than this.
They said there will be no AC2.
The unique way to have an AC2 is modding, using ACC. There is probably some talented modders able to do this but as there is no modding guide for ACC, it's very very difficult (impossible ?) to built a car mod from scratch (or you have first to do your own modding guide for ACC).
AC is still alive because of the mods, the Shader Light Patch and SOL. Most of the modders prefer to work on AC because ACC is not accessible...

DLC is a steal. just wanted to share my first impression. GT4s transform ACC into a different beast. I haven't had a chance to try all the cars yet, but I can share that Ginetta G55 w/ TC off is unbelievable. The same car was loads of fun in AMS2, but ACC brings driving experience and FFB to another level (AMS2 still being great fun). I have measly T300RS so setting up FFB took a bit, but once dialed in, it rocks. Kudos to Kunos guys!

$29 CAD, it's bit more then expected, but still worth it
yes comapred to 4 tracks, which do sound like more work, I was expeciting similar cost , they were 18 if I remember, however you should consider licensing too
buying it, but it's easy to wait for sale as well for people who want this bit cheaper

Maybe because AI is fine-tuned for GT3 now, and putting GT4 among them might break things? Or is it some weird licensing issue?

If licensing, why they are allowed in MP then. Would assume it's AI limitation

AC1 AI didn't handle multi-class well (or even single class, originally) in a very long time, still people bought and praised it. Dunno, I mean sure it would be nice but saying "I'll pass then" for otherwise great content with top notch 3D models and audio (and likely very affordable price), is hyperbole.

What's wrong with GT4-only races, there's plenty of grid variety here

At least people can race online against GT4, without owning them. That's step above what AC1 had, yet some people find the only reason to be negative about this
I see no point discussing this over an over... But this is my view:

AI in ACC has improved over AI in AC1, as seen with general overtaking as well as how GT3 AI interacts with Gallardo/Super Trofeo/Cup or backmarkers. Could be better, sure, but the issue where AI don't even attempt overtaking when you slow down to a halt is nonexistent in ACC. Of course I would have to try GT3+GT4 to be sure... but I can't.

Kunos had no qualms with allowing custom grids in AC1, no matter how janky the experience could be. Ergo, AI is not the reason they don't allow custom grids offline.

Ultimately I want it implemented regardless of how good the experience is because it will keep the sim more interesting for longer for people like me that largely play offline. And I don't expect it to be hard to implement, it's just not been a priority.

Remember it's two different seasons, the sprint and endurance seasons. The endurance cup had around 48 cars every race.
Yes, was talking about GT4 though. And regardless of how many, you can always choose the amount of cars yourself, offline up to the circuit-defined limit.

Well, someone could ask a Kunos dev why offline GT4 + GT3 mix isn't allowed. And why online is.

They replied truthfully many user questions, even when the reply wasn't so good news. Why would they suddenly go silent, if directly asked

If it's licencing then it's licencing, but clearing this up would help. Ferrari didn't allow one of their F1 cars to be mixed with other cars in AC1, unless you did a small text file edit to fix it

It's true Kunos had no problem in the past of including a sub-optimal AI, if player wanted to use it. So what's the deal now. The physics aren't AC1 physics however. There's rain etc. now maybe GT4/3 mixed field has caused incidents/pileups in their internal testing.

They could just address this question publicly, maybe this feature is coming later (not that I care personally that much, but seems to trouble some people)

Last edited:
Well, someone could ask a Kunos dev why offline GT4 + GT3 mix isn't allowed. And why online is.

They replied truthfully many user questions, even when the reply wasn't so good news. Why would they suddenly go silent, if directly asked

If it's licencing then it's licencing, but clearing this up would help. Ferrari didn't allow one of their F1 cars to be mixed with other cars in AC1, unless you did a small text file edit to fix it

It's true Kunos had no problem in the past of including a sub-optimal AI, if player wanted to use it. So what's the deal now. The physics aren't AC1 physics however. There's rain etc. now maybe GT4/3 mixed field has caused incidents/pileups in their internal testing.

They could just address this question publicly, maybe this feature is coming later (not that I care personally that much, but seems to trouble some people)

I watched the GT3/GT4 live stream from Aris yesterday and that question was asked. He did answer it but unfortunately, the full stream hasn't been uploaded for reference so I'm paraphrasing what I remember from his answer.

One reason was a licensing issue, the other was a limitation within the game engine and that nobody should hold their breath waiting for a fix as there is a probability that it cannot be overcome.

If others watched and interpreted his words differently I'm happy to be corrected.

I watched the GT3/GT4 live stream from Aris yesterday and that question was asked. He did answer it but unfortunately, the full stream hasn't been uploaded for reference so I'm paraphrasing what I remember from his answer.

One reason was a licensing issue, the other was a limitation within the game engine and that nobody should hold their breath waiting for a fix as there is a probability that it cannot be overcome.

If others watched and interpreted his words differently I'm happy to be corrected.

Almost but not quite, so let's settle this.

The DLC is the GT4 European Series, which is a single-class series, and the Single player season replicates that. There is no multiclass element of the real series it's based on whatsoever.
Similarly, the base game's GTWChEU/Blancpain series is a single-class series, no multiclass.

As a result these 2 alone do not require a multiclass element. Yes, you can argue that there could be a custom race weekend mode, but customizing grids across seasons (beyond the single-make option) was never a thing in ACC, and we never ever advertised this to be otherwise.

Then there is IGT, which is a more complicated subject. Although it is true that IGT does have multiple classes in certain events, but it's way too inconsistent and the car types are also not consistent through the championship, so as you found with the release with the IGT pack we purposefully limited the car series content to the GT3 car models we had already had in the game. You also have to think of the economic aspect. Creating all the unique classes and cars that might pop up in the IGT series (sometimes without any real competition in the field, see national class in Spa), would probably double production costs (yes, licensing and producing a car is very expensive and resource-intensive) and then a DLC couldn't have a reasonable price anymore even if we tried.

From this perspective, the GT4 European Series is a completely separate series that stands on its own. The pack is not a GT4 model pack that would then get you all the missing cars from the IGT pack, we implemented the GT4 European Series, I can't stress this enough. It's a very important distinction both in terms of licensing and gameplay logic. Also it's what many simracers were wishing for, complete series with compatible cars, rather than releases of groups of mismatching car types.
Here you get a full package but then this is what's on the flipside.

Further down the line, as mentioned before, the the British GT DLC will be tracks only (also for the aforementioned reason), again, not introducing any multiclass element in single-player.

Please note that i'm not talking about "oh but how cool it would be" aspect, because there's no question about that.
Of course it would be cool (even though probably a very small percentage of those who are currently complaining would actually ever use it, just look at the crucial features of night and rain), but also we had absolutely 0 obligation to even make it work in Multiplayer, and yet put the efforts to make it so (which, again, was a lot more than many imagine).

Those who are looking forward to free 2020 tracks that were added as an effort to salvaging the season due to pandemic based on whatever reasoning should really get a grip.

Last edited:
At £18, this is a bit on the disappointingly steep side, still buying though cos I love this game but could turn off others on the fence. No 'it's only a couple cups of coffee' comments please. :p
Nope, pretty steep price and no multiclass for offline races. I'll wait for a sale or when multiclass is patched in.

Still hope Kunos would do another AC than this.
$20 US is far too much for this. The last DLC was only $15, and it included new tracks. I'm sure the GT4s are great and all, but I'll have to pass at this price.
Things that cost more than this 11 car GT4 pack without mentioning iracing.

1. 11 Rocket league cars, that are basically just a new skin.
2. 1 rocket league livery .
3. 11 GTSport unlock keys to cars already in the game.

ACC GT4 is value for money, you're paying for people here work and talant. You're not getting fleeced with things like keys that take moments to create.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 393 40.1%