WIP Assen TT-circuit 1954 version

News about this project:

After finishing the Hondsrugring v 2.0, i will focus now on this track again.
First the objects. The pit stall, bridges, grandstands, commentator posts, essential houses (like the Bartelds farm, Oude Tol, houses at Hooghalen, Laaghalen and Laaghalerveen.), fences, hedges and so on.
Then i need still a lot of information about the track. Layout pictures, video's. I found a huge collection already, but still i need pictures of Oude Tol, parts of Graswijk, Laaghalerveen and De Streek.

first lap on a bit updated track. F2 1978 car 5:03min.
Got a lot of problems with exporting objects made in Sketchup. For example, the pits building has a texture with the *.bmp extention. But when it is exported with bobstrackbuilder xpacker it changes into a *.png....

changed all the textures again: still problems.
exported.jpg

http://www.hederahelix.nl/assen1953/Pitgebouw.zip

Track layout looks promising (bit like an alpha-state local road track I made where they used to run motorcycles for just one year, heheh - just the road and some trees) - now for the scenery, which usually is about 80 per cent of the work ;)

Btw, they sure had some friggin long straights back in those days, didn't they...

the track was only 5 meters wide. Only the part between the start and "Jewish corner" it was 7 meters.
The scenery, yes that will give some headaches. I have to use a lot of imagination. Also i want to make a video of some parts of the original track.

This is what i want to do with this track.
  • build as many buildings (houses/shops) as possible, to get the scenery as characteristic as possible.
  • the project is more of an ode to the old track than anything else.
  • Still the track should have more fps than the Hondsrugring, which has a fps problem.

I REALLY like that last bridge Erwin!
I tried making one a while ago like that but totally failed....

The scenery, yes that will give some headaches. I have to use a lot of imagination.

I'm not sure how it is over there in Europe, but with tracks of a similar era in Oz there was rather a lack in tree's compared to today....
Im guessing you may find it was rather rural & sparse in the way of foliage out in the paddocks....
Possibly plenty of pasture, hay bails, livestock & farmhouses/sheds which no longer exist thanks to the encroachment of uburban sprawl....
I know it's turning out that way with one of the tracks Im working on at the moment.
Oh, & little clusters of remote houses these days that were once small (20/30 house) villages...
I'm sure you'll have a lot more info' on this beast than I & I look forward to seeing how it turns out all the same!

I know that you can import only one .X object at one time.
You can better export your track to rF, import (As Objects) to 3dSimed, then export .3ds for Max from there. You must know there is some limit (probably number of polygons) when importing .3ds into Max - this way too long tracks can not be loaded - you must split them in BTB for parts. Or use Material Change sections - this also will divide long track for separate objects. Mostly, up to 1 km parts work the best - you can merge them in Max easily.
Good thing will be texture names in 8.3 format (.3ds native) - this allows you to find textures in Max without any guessing.

If you like, I can make simple tutorial on this topic.

I know that you can import only one .X object at one time.....
......If you like, I can make simple tutorial on this topic.
Thanks both for your replies.
I discovered after some hour or two that 3dsimed can export tracks in 3ds extention and therefore it can be imported to 3ds Max.
A simple tuturial to get started with this would be very appreciated.

Hmm, I think my tutorial will not help you to finalize track for rF2... I was thinking of rebuilding a track, remapping etc in Max with smaller efforts. Also - how to prepare things in BTB well to avoid problems in Max. Very simple, but crucial for me. As I say - my knowlegde is reduced just to solve things for RBR, but for somebody who don't know Max at all, it could be usefull.
Let me know if you are still down to it?

Very interested as I need to start with 3ds max and I am starting from scratch. Like, any chance of building in EVO and getting it into RBR. Shall have to see whats needed file wise in RBR!!
If anybody has tried and got nowhere would be nice to know before starting.

Not really anything to do with original post. Mi tinks.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 409 39.9%