ASR F1 1991 1.11 much worse than 1.09?

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
I have heard that the mod from ASR, the F1 1991, the latest updated version is much worse than the previous update
Can some one confirm one way or the other before I do the update. I like the way the previous update drive.

Last edited:
There are eleven 1991 F1 cars from ASR, including beta, all of them are at different version numbers. Which one are you referring to?
https://www.**************/simulator/assetto-corsa/?products-per-page=all

I'm finding much older versions of their vehicles are much better tbh. I don't know if it's me but the 91 ferrari and mclaren are both a bit of a nightmare and are very sensitive but most of the other cars in their 91' cars are still very good, well, saying that, the Jordan I still find a bit iffy but not as iffy as the Ferrari and mclaren

Yep, I get that and when you get going they drive and race great - I just find the 2nd gear on them difficult to master and more often than not end up spinning them when dropping to 2nd. I also find 1st gear difficult to master and the vehicle may feel like that in real life - dunno. Probs my racing skills is the issue

We race those cars at SRS starting on wednesday so we already did a lot of testing and yes, those cars have issues. The base setup is pretty much undrivable and the Q tires last way too long.

But the most puzzling is that setup changes don't really affect the handling as they should, some exmaples:
  • more rear ride height gives you more grip in the back
  • reducing the front camber adds a lot of stability in the back
  • reducing the wings doesn't really change your top speed
Yes, those cars were way too fast to be "historically correct" at the end of last year, but I don't understand why they didn't simply reduce the engine power and the downforce. Because they were a real pleasure to drive on the limit and I didn't notice any issues with them.

That being said, let's not forget that we get those cars for free ;-)

Last edited:
They seem pretty realistic to me, again not only were they way too fast before, but they were way to grippy aswell. 1991 cars were no where near as grippy compared to newer cars

The way I see it, and according to some testimonies from drivers like Nigel Mansell, the cars were not that hard just to drive on track. But to reach competitive laptimes, you had to have skill and good car underneath you. But IMO, right now, the ASR F1 1991 cars lack a feel of weight, inertia and understeer at slow speeds and are therefore way too easy to spin at corner entry and mid-corner. Like the well known issue with some AC mod cars. Slow lazy spins in tight and slow hairpins. No weight on the rear wheels where there should be a lot more than on fronts on these cars. And don't even dare touching that inside curb there, even a flat one :) And then comes corner exit which can be fun to play with throttle and counter steer but it's snappy, not that easy and not intuitive. These issues can somewhat be resolved with setup tweaks of course. Another easy way to handle it is to go through in a higher gear. But while that hairpin at 70-80 kmh could be done in 1st or 2nd gear realistically back in 1990s, here using 3rd gear gives you some more stability through and enabling you to slam on the gas out of that slow corner. The problem I see with that is the real cars wouldn't be able to slow down the car enough in 3rd gear and then also turn in. Second, there wouldn't be enough torque at that low RPM to pull you out without loosing time on acceleration. But it works with ASR F1 1991 cars and they do have higher torque at those RPM than they should IMO. I always saw that as a easy and quick workaround for not so good or maybe too forgiving physics and engine power data. It worked like that with older versions too. The gearbox has far too few selections right now. However, their 1990 and especially 1992 Ferrari (F641 and F92A-T) handle better there. There are supposed to be new updates for all 1991 cars based on that latest F92A-T improvement.

Have to say I agree, I find for sure new version less enjoable.
I was used to drive mainly the Tyrrel and sensation in previous versions was to drive a "real" F1 car. Now it seems to drive a "simulated" one :)
I agree the main reason is the lack in feeling of weight and inertia like FFF789 said.
I don't know which of the two is the more realistic, for sure now I'm driving other cars and leave that F1 in the garage... :(

P.S. - I'm usually on the side of the hardcore simmer, but I really hate the equation harder to drive=realistic

Laptimes are not the best way to judge, too much variables that change between reality and simulation can affect laptimes. yes, another equation I hate. I forget to say.
I never compare time to say if a car is relaistic or not. It has more to do with driving feeling.

I have to say I totally agree with smeisinger, there are many other way to reduce teh laptimes wthout wasting the sansation to drive.

Since as sad I never compared times, can you tell me where I can find laptimes of ASR F1 1.09 in differetn track, I'm really intersted to understand differencies compared with reality.

Laptimes are not the best way to judge, too much variables that change between reality and simulation can affect laptimes. yes, another equation I hate. I forget to say.
I never compare time to say if a car is relaistic or not. It has more to do with driving feeling.

I have to say I totally agree with smeisinger, there are many other way to reduce teh laptimes wthout wasting the sansation to drive.

Since as sad I never compared times, can you tell me where I can find laptimes of ASR F1 1.09 in differetn track, I'm really intersted to understand differencies compared with reality.
These videos show what was wrong with the old physics

You keep repeating yourself. Yes, the 1991 ASR cars were way too fast before the latest release. Nobody disagrees on that.

The point of this thread is though: the current 1991 cars (released in late june) are completely unstable in tight corners for seemingly no reason and when you lose the rear, there is almost no way of catching it.

And no, that's definitely not "realistic".

I posted some setups at the SRS forums if somebody wants to give those cars a go without spinning out unctrolloably: https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=9015

Those setups aren't fast, but at least you can do a couple of laps in a row without spinning.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 141 13.9%