asking for experinced opinion

Hi: so am about to enter into this fascinating world of sim racing, I have done much research with was very helpful however at times made it very difficult to finalize any decisions. however after much consideration I have made a list of what I was planning on purchasing considering all factors and of course the big one was budget, as much as I would like to go crazy I tried to get to a comfortable spot.
here is the list and would like to hear any feedback you guys have, I realize it may not be the best but for my expectations I think it will be a good start.
my main interest is nascar racing and indy style
1st question, what would you recommend as a good gaming computer as far as requirements, a friend owns a computer shop and will build one just can find definitive answer on that
the 2nd question I have is about the sim I am getting does the noise bother you and can volume take car of that.
Thanks a lot and hope to be up and running in near future

1-Prosimu T1000 3m --3 motion 3 dyadic 040-100mm

2-Fanatec csl elite racing wheel ps4

3-Fanatec clubsport pedal v3 inverted

4-Quaife PSL Sequential shifter V2

5-Sim-lab Triple monitor mount stand-I am planning on using a triple monitor stand with 3 monitors of 144hz.

Personally, I'd put spending priority in the following order (this is without PC consideration):

1. Wheel base (Direct Drive if at all possible)
2. Pedals
3 (joint importance really) Solid rig (personally would here go for a profile based rig, as offers unlimited flexibility to upgrade in the future)
4. Steering wheel
5. Best monitors you can afford
5. Optional peripherals (why are you buying an external sequential shifter if your main interests are Indy/nascar? Doesn't indy use paddle shift, and nascar 4-speed gated?)

Distant 6th. Motion

In your example, I'd upgrade the steering base, and change rig to profile based, at the cost of motion for the time being (which can be added later on a profile rig, maybe the SFX-100 based system)

Upvote 0
hi: thanks for replay, the shifter I wasn't sure with for sure I will go to a H pattern, my thoughts were it would give me a wider range of types of racing if I wanted, I will now look into the profile base rig, the thing im trying to do is keep around $10k not counting monitors and computer, had no idea this sim racing was so big

Upvote 0
I started in Jan.

I started with a f1 playseat
CSW 2.5
CSL loadcell
Xbox.....
few fanatec rims

7 months later

ive changed to PC
got heusinkveld sprints

now looking at a simucube with wireless rim

and wondering if the DD will work on the F1 rig

so basically, my advice is to buy top end or somehow limit yourself to your original purchase because it a[ears that folk start with something then keep on upgrading costing much more than it would to buy top end in the first place

Upvote 0
If you look at Fanatec complaints about failures, you'll notice that most of them are for the CSL Elite gear. They're just not as heavy-duty as the higher grade gear. Plastic cases instead of metal, fastening screw for the wheel, McLaren wheel flexing, etc. One exception would be the CSL Elite pedals w/load cell, which are arguably more versatile than the v3 pedals due to being able to mount them differently, but you'd still have pots on the accelerator and clutch.

If you go ahead with the v3 pedals, make sure you get the extra brake kit.

If you ditch the motion rig, you should have enough money to get Heusinkveld pedals and a direct drive wheel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks : so what your suggesting is not going with the motion and spend more on steering an braking, the motion is what I was attracted to however with what you guys have suggested about steering and braking all this all may be outta reach now

Upvote 0
Start with the chassis so you can grow later. A good 8020 based frame will serve you well through any other hardware changes.
I would seriously suggest the Heusinkveld Sprint pedals. They are excellent and extremely adjustable and they require a solid frame. I think you would be disappointed with the inverted pedals over time.
I wouldn't get anything less than a Fantatec CS 2.5. It is a good unit and possibly all you need. I recently upgraded to a SimuCube 2 system after 2 years, but I don't think direct drive is critical especially given your priorities.
Wheels are very much a personal preference.
I'd put shifters in that same category of personal preference.

I do like motion, there are many systems and I won't point to one as being the right one for you.

I did notice you didn't mention transducers. You may be surprised how much additional realism is added with tactile feedback, engine rpm, bumps, gear change, etc.. and they are less expensive than a motion while still adding a lot.

I'm a VR only guy, but triple monitors have been the go to for high end rigs for a while now although some people have started going to the curved ultra wide monitors because they are simpler to setup and are supported better by some software.

If you are curious about the equipment I started the year with vs what I'm using today this will cover a lot of detail. You might skim through it to see another person's process.
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...cockpit-with-motion-and-tactile-build.165289/

Anyway, just one more point of view worth the electrons it was printed on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I'd put spending priority in the following order (this is without PC consideration):

1. Wheel base (Direct Drive if at all possible)
2. Pedals
3 (joint importance really) Solid rig (personally would here go for a profile based rig, as offers unlimited flexibility to upgrade in the future)
4. Steering wheel
5. Best monitors you can afford
5. Optional peripherals (why are you buying an external sequential shifter if your main interests are Indy/nascar? Doesn't indy use paddle shift, and nascar 4-speed gated?)

Distant 6th. Motion

In your example, I'd upgrade the steering base, and change rig to profile based, at the cost of motion for the time being (which can be added later on a profile rig, maybe the SFX-100 based system)

Got to disagree here.

My top 5 (or 6) in order would be...

1. Wheel base (Direct Drive if possible)
2. Pedals (load cell is a must)
3. Rig (Aluminium profile as they are infinitely adjustable)
4. Motion (there is no better immersion than full motion, except for...)
5. VR (if you game supports it, if not...)
6. Monitor (or 3)

I have the Accuforce DD V2 wheel base that comes with a decent wheel and button box. When I am in VR it takes on the wheel of the car I am driving (at least in looks), so no need to spend money on another wheel.
I have the SFX100 based full motion system and this and VR are possibly the BEST improvements I have made or experienced to make me 'feel' like I am driving a race car. VR and motion are a match made in sim racing heaven.
In fact I don't even have a monitor anywhere near my rig any more.

image0.jpg

Upvote 0
What others said, ditch the motion rig for now, if you are in Europe go with one of these:
https://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/Dynamics-material-flow///Simracing-Rig-X-Dream::999995703.html

I will get one of these eventually I just want to make sure I won't be kicked out of the house by the wife if I do. ^^

For wheelbase, I have a CSW v2.5 coming from Thrustmaster kit and I can't complain about anything. Honestly, before you splash on a DD wheel, I would consider this one espcially second hand as there are some deals to be had and if you move on from the hobby, you will not have spent a large fortune. To be fair, even the CSL-Elite is good enough and speed won't come from upgrading the wheel but from practicing with it.
Again, take it easy and if you decide to upgrade latter on, Fanatec gear keeps value quite well on the second hand market so you won't "lose" too much money.
If you have the cash and really want to go for it, you can go straight to a Simucube 2 wheelbase and you are basically set for life.

For pedals, the Fanatec CSL-E are another are where you can save a bit over the V3 inverted since you can invert them in your rig. I have the V3 non inverted pedals and I love them. People with experience with both Fanatec and Heusinkveld tend to prefer the later.

Going with the CSL-Elite kit and Motedis rig, you could save about €1,700 and you would have an amazing rig (you will need to procure a seat for the motedis rig though). Heck, you can go for the cheaper motedis and save another €200.

This will be enough to get your feet wet and see if you like it or not.

Instead of going triples, you can go one ultrawide screen and VR.
For me VR is worth it over anything else but ymmv.

Just my 2cts.

Upvote 0
Why not just design and build your own rig?
That's what I did and it cost me a little over £300, saving probably a few hundred and its designed to my specification.
I just bought the profile from a local supplier who also cut the pieces to size for free for me.

Upvote 0
one of the things I thought would be interesting about sim racing is the learning curve and i have learned it is steep ha, thanks a lot for all your input I have much to consider, I will take my time and look at things with all your points taken, thanks Gentleman

Upvote 0
@Krow1956 The sim gear has a learning curve completely separate from driving. Someone with a basic Logitech or Thrustmaster setup cam learn how to drive well and become highly competitive. They are probably some of the best racers because they care about the racing above all else. The gear does not make a good racer.

To some people the racing is not enough by itself. I had no interest in gaming before VR. I geared up before having even the basic fundamentals of racing down. Higher end hardware is all about immersion and that was my path mostly playing Dirt Rally superficially and not caring about real driving skill. It was fun sliding around corners drifting and being tossed around, but I was having fun! I didn't care what my skill level was as long as I was having fun.

I'm not saying there is a right or wrong way to do any of this. It sounds like you are looking for immersion which is how I started. It would be a mistake to assume you can buy everything all at once and be done. If the gear looks more fun than the actual racing, you may just have equipment lust and find yourself with a bunch of gear collecting dust and up for sale within a year.

One thing you never mentioned was what racing games you had played before and what you expected to play once you assembled this rig. Were you jumping in thinking it looked cool and hoping for the best?

Upvote 0
excellent point, mostly interested in nascar or indy style racing, I also was never a gamer but enjoy racing and I understand this will take a great deal of practice and time to develop a skillset for this type of thing, expectations are to get to where can run races without trouble and have fun with it don't want to be the guy wreaking people, i know i would also enjoy just running practice laps on various tracks and playing with setups and such, as far as the equipment I have learned how buying cheapest never satisfies so the goal is to at least start off decent knowing the equipment wont help if I don't put the time in to learn, I am 64 and retired once I do decide with the help of you guy's the goal is to be happy with the choices and stay with it

Upvote 0
With more gear, and talking about hi-Ultimate end-gear, take Into account that you will need to be a technical geek or to have one in your mancave 24/7
Then we can start the talk about racing an fun.

Take the better rig possible without motion, best pedals out there and buy a Logitech to start learning about FFb
Other things comes with time

Upvote 0
and buy a Logitech to start learning about FFb
Oh, dear god no, anything but a Logitech! The only reason to go with a Logitech in this day is if you don't know any better.

I'm not knocking their reliability or reputation, but gear-driven FFB is the worst possible choice for fidelity these days.

Upvote 0
With more gear, and talking about hi-Ultimate end-gear, take Into account that you will need to be a technical geek or to have one in your mancave 24/7
Then we can start the talk about racing an fun.

Take the better rig possible without motion, best pedals out there and buy a Logitech to start learning about FFb
Other things comes with time
Why do you need to be a technical; geek?
I have an Accuforce DD v2 and never open Simcommander.
Ok, the initial setting up I opened it and set the strength for the wheel etc, which is uploaded to the wheel then never touched it again.
I let the game do all the work in regards to FFB, and don't let the software create its 'canned' effects (aren't ALL effects canned in reality?)..

As for the Logitech, I owned a G27 for years, and quite enjoyed it, but wanted more soon after getting into it. By todays standards the FFB is poor. If money isn't an issue, which it would appear not to be at a budget $10k (presume USD?) then I would go for a Fanatec gear driven or any direct drive base.

For $10k you could get a system like mine and have about $6k left over.

Rig £350 (self designed and built, just ordered cut profile)
Seat £100
SFX100 £1600 (including the tools and 3d printer to make it)
Accufore DD v2 £1000
Pedals Fanatec Clubsport v3 £360
Handbrake Fanatec v1.5 £120
Gear stick £100
VR (I use the Rift) £350 - £1000 (depending which you go for)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 202 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing