Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A very curious new rally game is on the horizon... check out the demo for 'The Art of Rally' now!

Designed with a very unique visual style, this top down rally game from developer Funselektor Labs (of Absolute Drift fame) appears to be a very interesting and surprisingly immersive take on the world of rally driving - with some particularly interesting and engaging physics despite being a predominantly arcade focused game.

Before we head off into the journey of discovery looking at the game features in more detail, check out this cool looking announcement trailer from the studio:

In something of a rarity for modern day games, The Art of Rally has a demo too! Yes, a demo; remember those? So dear readers, if you want to have a little crack at this yourself, you can find the demo for Windows/Mac and Linux from Game Jolt HERE.

The demo includes:
  • Two iconic rally cars, one from Group 2, one from Group B
  • One mixed gravel-tarmac stage from Finland, with jumps, crests and corners. It’s a challenging course to master
  • Race in different conditions: morning, afternoon, sunset, fog, rain, night
  • Relive and capture your best moments with Photo Mode, Replay Mode, and Photo-Mode In Replays

The Art of Rally Preview 3.jpg

According to the official press release for the demo launch, the fully finished game expects to have over 30 cars available at day one, playable on no-less than 50 unique routes featuring stages in Finland, Norway, Sardinia, Japan and Germany. As well as plenty of content to get stuck into, the game should also include a career mode alongside both daily and weekly challenges, so hopefully a pretty well fleshed out title is in the works.

Key Features:
  • Progress through the golden years of rally in Career Mode
  • 30+ iconic rally cars from the 60s, 70s, 80s, Group B and Group S
  • Completely overhauled handling from the car physics system of Absolute Drift
  • 50 rally stages in Finland, Sardinia, Norway, Japan and Germany
  • Repair performance damage between stages
  • Daily and weekly challenges with leaderboards
  • Original soundtrack by Tatreal

The Art of Rally Preview 4.jpg

This isn't just a simple arcade racing game with stylish graphic design. According to the press release, developer Dune Casu has driven WRC cars from the 1990s in New Zealand and also attended DirtFish rally school in an effort to gain a better understanding of rally cars and also the learning process that goes into learning how to rally. Much of the development was done in a camper van that he lives in while doing roadtrips around Canada, America and Mexico to gain inspiration and research different environments for the game.... so pretty decent credentials for a thoroughly researched game looks like its taken place!!

No exact release date for The Art of Rally has been made available as yet, however keep an eye out on the Steam Store and here at RaceDepartment for more information as and when it becomes available, and try out the demo to see what its all about for yourselves!

The Art of Rally will be available for PC during 2020.

Want to know more about the game? Don't worry, our new RaceDepartment Art of Rally sub forum will soon be created to let you join forces with the community and discuss the title to your hearts content!

The Art of Rally Preview 1.jpg
The Art of Rally Preview 2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't understand why some devs remove the demo version when they release their games. I know you can play a game for two hours and refund if you don't like it, but I don't want to mess about like that.

A demo with just one car and one track which I could test at my own pace would be enough.

Edit: Nevermind. Found the demo here.

Last edited:
I don't understand why some devs remove the demo version when they release their games. I know you can play a game for two hours and refund if you don't like it, but I don't want to mess about like that.

A demo with just one car and one track which I could test at my own pace would be enough.

Edit: Nevermind. Found the demo here.
Hope the demo version still works.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back