Arrivabene Out, Binotto Appointed Ferrari Boss

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Mattia Binotto Ferrari Boss.jpg

Shakeup time at Maranello as Maurizio Arrivebene replaced by CTO Mattia Binotto, the 49-year-old taking over as Team Principle with immediate effect.

Having thrown away what many believe to have been a golden opportunity to win the 2018 Formula One World Championship last season, the powers that be at the Ferrari team have been wielding the axe right at the very top of the squad, confirming today that Maurizio Arrivabene has left the marque and his role of Team Principle.

"After four years of untiring commitment and dedication, Maurizio Arrivabene is leaving the team," the Scuderia confirmed earlier today..

"The decision was taken together with the company’s top management after lengthy discussions related to Maurizio’s long term personal interests as well as those of the team itself.

"Ferrari would like to thank Maurizio for his valuable contribution to the team’s increasing competiveness over the past few years, and wish him the best for his future endeavours".
Arrivabene has thought to have been at loggerheads with senior management at Ferrari throughout 2018, and with the team electing to make fundamental changes ahead of the beginning of 2019, it looks like current CTO Binotto has finally earned his promotion to the top role within the Formula One outfit - a position the Italian has linked with on and off since mid 2017.

"With immediate effect, Mattia Binotto will take over as Scuderia Ferrari’s Team Principal. All technical areas will continue to report directly to Mattia." concluded the brief Ferrari statement.​

With Arrivabene now moving away from the Ferrari stable in its entirety, and Binotto taking up his new role, it remains to be seen if further hiring and firings at the famously temperamental outfit will take place before the cars hit the track in Melbourne for the first race of the season this coming March.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Tough one. For me Mercedes still had the dominant car (not by much admittedly but at the end of the season it was a class act). Yes Ferrari did throw away some opportunities but those were both created by the team as well as the drivers.

Sacking the team principal at this point in time is just silly. It only causes instability. That's how I feel anyway.

Last edited:
Every time they get close to building a winning team they seem to do a reset.
How long will it take the new guy before he gets close...then ultimately fired?
The mistakes of last season were not all down to the pit-crew and strategist and management.
You can't run a business if you keep firing the leader every time something doesn't go according to plan.
Nothing will kill morale quicker.

Arrivabene seemed quite a prickly dude. Little wars with people and not talking to the 'media'.
Liberty pretty much set an opposite direction than the one he was taking, maybe that was his next war?
His 'war' should have been solely focused on making Ferrari the best, not baiting 'media' which are on the same side of the coin after all.
I watched Webber and Coultard poking him, funny as anything :)
Now maybe, we have a Team Principal who'll open up at the right moments and let us in on the interesting stuff Arrivabene hid.

I don't know if the limited media policy was his or Ferrari's or if he was fearful that he might say something that might come out wrong in english. Be that as it may, he seemed better as the season went on but always guarded. Wolff and Horner on the other hand seemed to always be a bit too much in the mood to chat.

I kind of liked the guy and I wish him well. Hopefully the new guy brings a stable full season effort from Ferrari.

Arrivabene made his mistakes and it was his time to go his handling of the strategy calls may not have been his calls but he is running the show so falls on him sometimes i think he shouldve stepped in and said something like why the hell is vettel going out ahead of kimi at monza when it shouldve been reversed but Binotto is gonna have issues right off the bat when leclerc starts pushing vettel and its gonna happen i.e ricciardo when he got to redbull and outperformed vettel in same car and vettel left for ferrari i like vettel but hes on the back end of his career and if leclerc starts pushing him ferrari will side with leclerc

A Red Bull with a Ferrari power unit: that would make Ferrari win, even with Vettel :whistling:
But more important, chose a different color for those shirts and pants, you guys look awful in red... :laugh:

Arrivabene made his mistakes and it was his time to go his handling of the strategy calls may not have been his calls but he is running the show so falls on him sometimes i think he shouldve stepped in and said something like why the hell is vettel going out ahead of kimi at monza when it shouldve been reversed but Binotto is gonna have issues right off the bat when leclerc starts pushing vettel and its gonna happen i.e ricciardo when he got to redbull and outperformed vettel in same car and vettel left for ferrari i like vettel but hes on the back end of his career and if leclerc starts pushing him ferrari will side with leclerc

Punctuation_What-if-I-told-you.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years