Aris of Kunos Simulazioni Releases "Go Faster" Driving Tips Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Aris Go Faster Video.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni's Aristotelis Vasilakos has released a nice video tutorial aimed at giving driving tips to players of Assetto Corsa.

Vasilakos is one of the key physics engineers at Kunos and as such has a deep and involved understand of how the Italian development team realise car physics generation in Assetto Corsa. As well as proving himself to be a remarkably talented physics creator, Aris is also a dab hand behind the wheel of both his virtual creations and those of the real world, regularly posting videos and telemetry from his various on track escapades at a number of local real world racetracks.

Making the most of his considerable experience, Aris has produced a very handy 40 minute video using Assetto Corsa that aims to help impart some of his knowledge to the sim racing faithful, with the hope that some of the tips shared in this tutorial will help develop the skills of sim race drivers and make it just that little bit easier to find those missing tenths of a second when out on track. You can watch the video from Aris in full below:

Using the stock content BMW M235i Racing edition around the British Silverstone International layout, Aris takes players through a number of key driving tips and techniques that should form part of every real and virtual sim drivers skill set. From finding your reference points around a circuit to ensuring you know and adhere to the racing line, the video covers of some key basic tips that often get overlooked by new and experienced drivers alike. Although Aris doesn't go into the more advanced techniques some of the more experienced players may make use of during a racing situation, it is nevertheless extremely valuable to reaffirm some of the things Aris discusses in this video, as everything he covers during the 40 odd minute presentation are details that every sim racer, either new or old, should be following to help ensure you are driving to your fastest possible speed.

The video is well presented, interesting and informative and Vasilakos does a very good job maintaining an entertaining show whilst imparting some valuable information. Well worth a watch for any experience level...

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation designed by Kunos Simulazioni and is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Check out the Assetto Corsa sub forum here at RaceDepartment. We have a great collection of mods to download, a thriving Racing Club and Leagues forum where events are regularly filled to capacity, a dedicated area where modders can discuss their creations a busy forum where you can join in the discussion with your fellow Assetto Corsa sim racing fans and a special area of the internet where you can share and download setups with other users of the simulation.

Did you enjoy the video from Aris? Did you learn anything useful? Have any driving techniques you wish to share yourself? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Really cool informative and fun video @Aristotelis !
Great reminder of the basics whilst utilising the replays to check your car position and stability from outside the cockpit.

I've already found some time in a few tracks due to your video and I'm looking forward to more of them in the future. (If you have time of course)
This level of engagement and advice from the developers is just awesome.
Thank you!

No wonder it would underteering otherwise huh :D

I mean rear ARB. Was a typo :D

But that's just me and I mostly just don't feel comfortable with cars that understeer alot. My post was more aimed at the tires, because they are behaving really strange. I made some more testing and even with ambient max temp of 36 degree or how much it is, the tires cool down more when you increase the tire pressure.

You think tyres at higher pressure should run at a higher temperature? Or is that another typo.

Nope. I know that tire temps depend on alot of different factors including tire construction, suspension etc, so softer tires can produce higher temps by flexing aswell. My general understanding of racing slicks is, that you run higher tire pressures to heat up the tires faster to get in a range of around 80-100 degree, especialy for qualiy stints. With the 787b slick the tire cools down though, even with pretty high ambient and track temperatures if you add a few psi. The small impact of heavy loads on the tire temps is something else that I don't get in AC. Or is that just the tire app that doesn't give enough or the right info? If you have a better explaination, let me know. ;)

Your understanding sounds backwards, lower psi means more friction/flex so it heats up faster, but for qualifying you have less time to heat up the tires so they use higher pressures and don't expect it to get fully up to temperature the way it would on a full fuel tank stint. The goal's to run the hotlap at a specific pressure that makes the tire perform best, so it could be 80C at 25psi or 100C at 25psi depending what starting pressure you use and how many laps you run.

Yesterday, I decided to test my new learned skills, since I was easily out pacing the AI at 100%, with my new knowledge of braking points and apex in the BMW 325, I tried the same exercise racing the AI in the M1 with street tires, AI also got the Street tires. Fascinating how same track, but braking points and shifting are different. I was lapping with the AI, but I will need a little time to learn how to out pace them. Watching the replay I realized that some how in the M1 I was not using all the track as I was doing with the 325 even though, without watching the replay I thought I was.
Manual shifting is also adding a distraction in concentrating on braking and apex.

I was not using all the track as I was doing with the 325 even though, without watching the replay I thought I was.

That's also my biggest problem with some cars .... when driving in cockpit I'm nearly sure I'm using the whole track ... but in fact ... there's maybe 1 meter distance between the car and the track side limit. ( mostly before the curve's entry )

One only 24" monitor is surely the biggest responsible for this impression. Being at the pure limit of the track when testing with chase view .... stopping the car and changing in cockpit view ... it gives the impression you have 1 or 2 wheels out of the track. :D

More and more I wonder if a TrackIR should not be the only good solution for that when VR or triple screeen are not possible better solution for different reasons.
Not using the whole track ... makes loose many tenths with repetitions .... quickly 2 or more seconds lost for a whole lap mostly.
Aris's tips are very fine ;) ... applying them is sometimes more difficult :(

Perfect now if the thread here comes back and remains with its initial aim.

Purely from watching Aris' video and adjusting the pressures I've been able to go from a 1m13.000 (earlier session) to the screenshot times below, I've been around sim racing for years and always knew I was consistent just not fast AND consistent!
VR has certainly helped with finding the Apexes better and feeling the whole cars dynamics than what I ever could on a single flat screen, I feel more in tune with the car now than I ever did previously.

Even though the video is all about the basics it did re-jog my memory and I was able to pick up little snippets of useful information from it, looking forward to future videos from Aris :)

Attachments

• Times.jpg
    Times.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 186
@Jempy, it is not just because of your screen, I drive in VR and watching the replay from the chasing view, which before Aris video I never, ever did in my life, lol, made me realize how much track I am not using. They always tell you use the whole track, I thought I was, Aris gave us the tool to know if we are using the whole track, that is what makes that video remarkable IMO. Once you are trying to use the whole track, chasing the apex leads to better braking points and voila! Better lap times, deceptively simple and highly addictive. :D

Last edited:
I've got down to a 1m12.080s with just tire pressure adjustments as Aris did in his video, determined to break the 1m12s barrier before the end of the evening on the same setup and maybe with TC off.

Certainly feel myself improving the more I drive this car today, been a long time since I challenged myself like this, thoroughly enjoying it.

@Jempy, it is not just because of your screen, I drive in VR and watching the replay from the chasing view, which before Aris video I never, ever did in my life, lol, made me realize how much track I am not using. They always tell you use the whole track, I thought I was, Aris gave us the tool to know if we are using the whole track, that is what makes that video remarkable IMO. Once you are trying to use the whole track, chasing the apex leads to better braking points and voila! Better lap times, deceptively simple and highly addictive. :D

Surely right Cote D'azur ... when paying special attention to it when testing or preparing a race in free times calmly and with no pressure.
Being on track for the race .... changes the situation. ;) ....
That said ... a triple screen is surely also a better lateral view ... and except nearly driving on the rear seat of the car or with a rather high FOV might give the same kind of view as a triple screen. ( except a view of a 'Long and Winding Road" :roflmao: ).

Triple screen needs more place, better hardware and financial possibilities.

NB that said ... I know I'll never succeed to be as quick as the best ( Let's keep aliens apart ... angels are flying ! :thumbsup: ) ... anyway, the pleasure driving on the track remains present. As many times said here at RD, you'll always have other drivers to meet and drive with on track. Simracing is a mix of driving and .... having fun together on track with fair play. :redface:... oops I forgot sharing also. :thumbsup:
But driving faster is a extra pleasure.

Mission Accomplished!

Last lap of fuel so no doubt that helped, by far my best lap in terms of cleanliness, smoothness and overall driving. The quick ones towards the end I was under on the delta time but kept making slight errors which cost me massively, a very productive day off work :D

Attachments

• Times2.jpg
    Times2.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 184
Surely right Cote D'azur ... when paying special attention to it when testing or preparing a race in free times calmly and with no pressure.
Being on track for the race .... changes the situation. ;) ....
That said ... a triple screen is surely also a better lateral view ... and except nearly driving on the rear seat of the car or with a rather high FOV might give the same kind of view as a triple screen. ( except a view of a 'Long and Winding Road" :roflmao: ).

Triple screen needs more place, better hardware and financial possibilities.

NB that said ... I know I'll never succeed to be as quick as the best ( Let's keep aliens apart ... angels are flying ! :thumbsup: ) ... anyway, the pleasure driving on the track remains present. As many times said here at RD, you'll always have other drivers to meet and drive with on track. Simracing is a mix of driving and .... having fun together on track with fair play. :redface:... oops I forgot sharing also. :thumbsup:
But driving faster is a extra pleasure.

I believe that it is not an issue of single, VR or triple, it is an issue that it is much tougher to judge from inside the car than it is judging from a behind and elevated view, in one case you are trying to estimate without seeing in the other you can see.
As far as being able to reach the speed of the elite, I see it as some of us, me for sure, is learning how to walk right now in order to hopefully be able to run one day, will I ever run as fast as the alien runner, who knows, we will see, right know I am concentrating on walking straight. I was not the slowest when I was crawling, I just gain good speed by starting to walk. I believe my chances to find interesting racing online are better now that I am walking, as I think more are walking than running on the server I usually drive on.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%