Are we ever going to see a fix for the "Centre" FFB issue?

Msportdan

@Simberia
Aggressive centre force.....

high oscillation around the center....

floaty/swaying ffb on centre.......

Words that describe what a lot of RRe players have reported about in the last year or so. S3 have also sent us many updates since then, but none hold the key to making this sim be among the greats.

When sector 3 are we gonna see this, ive spent money on this and my issue hasnt been fixed, so can you offer my money back then? I know ive banged on but seriously i am pissed about this problem now, its sooo frustrating. Youve added fanatec support but cant fix this. Also any answers just seem to be in the vain of "others don't have the problem so you shouldn't" or see the useless FFB thread.

This is not my emotions getting the better of me, this is the fact im

.....fed up of waiting for a fix in an update which never seems to come

..... frustrated i bought content in this game that doesnt want to fix issues that been throughout its life span

....... sick of coming on here and getting the same old crap answers from users that either a)dont recognise the problem b)ignore the issue c)just havent a clue.

Please s3 answer this thread please, are you going to fix this FFB issue, once and for all or let this game be forever known for its floaty awful ffb issue?

Regards Dan

(please mods dont lock this thread let s3 have a chance to answer)

Last edited:
I get it with a tx tho not violently, mine slowly starts rotating to one side than flops back to the other side and slowly back again. I can stop it by lightly holding the wheel until I leave the pits but it's still annoying and I am afraid of leaving my rig for a moment and one of my toddlers sticking there hand in it while it's doing this.
I get this as well, along with the oscillations. Game is unplayable for me right now. Cockpit movement is an issue for me as well.

BTW, when in the pits I noticed that my wheel flops over along with what the front wheels are doing and the animated wheel. Same for you guys?

I get this as well, along with the oscillations. Game is unplayable for me right now. Cockpit movement is an issue for me as well.

BTW, when in the pits I noticed that my wheel flops over along with what the front wheels are doing and the animated wheel. Same for you guys?

I believe you can map keys to adjust the camera/cockpit movement.............I believe. I haven't played much recently but I seem to recall at some point mapping my page up/page down keys to adjust camera movement.

I think that's what I was referring to about being in the pits. When my car first appears in the pits the wheel starts moving back and forth like crazy (seems like it wants to go left more than right) and continues like that until the car crosses the pit exit and I gain control of it. I have to keep my hands on the wheel, and it actually takes some effort to keep it straight during all this.

I am also getting this with my T300rs. I should have my Fanatec CSW V2 in the next few days and anxious to give it a try and see if I get the same results. Just curious if anyone here uses that base for this game and if the same thing happens...and if someone could post their ffb settings for the CSW V2. Thanks

Yes, you can already maps keys to adjust cockpit camera movement but it's not true lock to horizon.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning for that to have any relevance to the horizon. The guy only said he had an issue with the cockpit movement, I didn't know if he meant the horizon or the camera shake so I was just trying to provide more info in case that's what he was referring to. :thumbsup:

I have cockpit movement set to zero already but even at that I get queasy. I will try the text file tweak. I'm on a TX wheel and still can't get the FFB right. I'm taking a little break from R3E for now but I will be back. If I can resolve those issues I will fully dive in.

On a side note: once the "Spectate" mode is introduced I believe R3E will become a very formidable sim for league racing.

I have cockpit movement set to zero already but even at that I get queasy. I will try the text file tweak. I'm on a TX wheel and still can't get the FFB right. I'm taking a little break from R3E for now but I will be back. If I can resolve those issues I will fully dive in.

On a side note: once the "Spectate" mode is introduced I believe R3E will become a very formidable sim for league racing.

When you get back into it try going with max lateral force and 60-100 on vertical force. It didn't make it perfect, but I find it to be much more pleasing.

I am also getting this with my T300rs. I should have my Fanatec CSW V2 in the next few days and anxious to give it a try and see if I get the same results. Just curious if anyone here uses that base for this game and if the same thing happens...and if someone could post their ffb settings for the CSW V2. Thanks
I've got a CSW v2, my wheel pulls to one side while I'm in the pits, but it goes full lock and sits there instead of turning the other way.
It's the only FFB issue I have with R3E atm, other than that it's been great!
Settings can be found in one of the sticky posts on this forum.

I too have gone round and round and up and down with the FFB in R3E, using both a GT3 RS V2 wheel and now a T300. I felt the floatiness and the oscillation, it was frustrating enough that I took a break from the game even though I truly love everything else about it. The other night I decided to give it another go and tinker with the FFB settings based on some things I learned while tinkering with pCARS FFB.

What I found is that a very low vertical load and a very high lateral load setting seemed to really have a positive effect on both issues. I believe my vertical is around 60-70 and my lateral is maxed out at 200. I don't recall the other settings, I think the FFB is around 75 and the FFB force effect is around 120. I still have a little bit of floatiness, but the oscillation and centering force are pretty much completely gone. I can take my hands off the wheel going down a straight and the wheel stays centered, the car goes straight......this is something that was unthinkable with my previous settings. I can also feel things from the suspension that I never have felt in this game, it's much more informative and natural feeling.

Again, it's still not perfect, I'm still lacking feel (and sound) from the tires, I don't feel fully connected to the road, still a bit of floatiness, but reducing that vertical load and maxing out the lateral load made a world of difference and allowed me to enjoy driving in R3E for the first time in a long time. It may not work for everyone or every wheel, but I'd recommend giving it a shot. :thumbsup:

Cheers to the devs for participating in this conversation and putting up with our whinging. I think we all desperately want to love this game and to play it for many hours every week, but this one issue has prevented us from being able to realize our love for R3E. We only whinge because we care and because we want it to be as great as we think it can be.
Finally got a chance to give your suggestion a try and I'm sorry to say it changes nothing for me. The oscillation is still very easy to instigate. Also reducing vertical load makes an already numb feeling experience feel even more so.

Thanks anyway but this is one for Sector3 to provide a solution. I've pretty much tried everything now.

Just going to have to max out spring and damper to deaden the wheel.

Like I said in one of my posts, try changing the FFB steer force exponent value in the rcs file. I found 0.6 to make the center more stiff. 0.75 was a R07/GTR2 default FYI.

I agree with this and thanks for the info. I said in my earlier post that the FFB in R3e was great for me and there was no floatyness or center oscillations but after thinking about it, I went back into the game and realized I was experiencing the same issue but it didn't bother me much and I thought of it as like a bit of excessive body roll or weight transfer. It was kinda like the tires were under-inflated. Even with this characteristic, I still really liked the fidelity very much but realized it could be better so I tried your tip with the Steer Force Exponent setting.

I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make so I lowered it from 1.0 down to .5 and my wheel rattled like crazy while sitting still. Is this the same setting as Minimum Force in AC or Rf2 just with a different name? I raised it to .75 and the steering still had too much sponginess during weight transfer and I finally settled on your suggestion of .6 . The steering is much tighter but still required some damping(30%) to slow down the self aligning torque to feel more realistic and eliminate the mild tank slapper effect. I also turned down the vertical load to 70% and increased the lateral load to 130%.

I guess what I really liked about it before was what was actually wrong with it, ironically. The spongyness made it very easy to catch and hold or recover from a slide.

Concerning damping and the tank slapper effect, I had never used damping before because most people suggest turning it off but with it off, in most sims, the wheel is way too quick to snap back and forth from self aligning torque forces and is not a problem so long as you keep a fairly tight grip on the wheel but you shouldn't have to. The wheel should not keep snapping back and forth progressively further each time until the car spins out if you let go of the wheel. It should settle itself and straighten out.

I have been driving for 26 years and owned many sports cars and been on track a few times but never thought about steering wheel damping in real life until sim racing. I went out in my 93 300ZX convertible yesterday on a wide open 4 lane highway and did a quick experiment. I was cruising at 50mph and I abruptly turned the wheel about 60deg and let go and the wheel came back to center and the car smoothed out on its own and then tried the same thing at 75mph and the same thing, the car straightened out smoothly on its own. You do that same thing in most sims and the wheel will snap back and forth faster and further until it spins out. It's amazing all the stuff you take for granted and are never consciously aware of.

Since enabling damping, the wheel feels so much more realistic and the slight bit of fidelity lost is negligible due to the increase in overall realistic feel . I had to add 30% damping in R3e to completely eliminate the tank slapper effect. Rfactor 2 required about 20% damping. GSCE required the least damping at 15% and I still haven't figured out how to enable damping at all in the nightmare of ffb settings in Pcars!

Last edited:
I agree with this and thanks for the info. I said in my earlier post that the FFB in R3e was great for me and there was no floatyness or center oscillations but after thinking about it, I went back into the game and realized I was experiencing the same issue but it didn't bother me much and I thought of it as like a bit of excessive body roll or weight transfer. It was kinda like the tires were under-inflated. Even with this characteristic, I still really liked the fidelity very much but realized it could be better so I tried your tip with the Steer Force Exponent setting.

I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make so I lowered it from 1.0 down to .5 and my wheel rattled like crazy while sitting still. Is this the same setting as Minimum Force in AC or Rf2 just with a different name? I raised it to .75 and the steering still had too much sponginess during weight transfer and I finally settled on your suggestion of .6 . The steering is much tighter but still required some damping(30%) to slow down the self aligning torque to feel more realistic and eliminate the mild tank slapper effect. I also turned down the vertical load to 70% and increased the lateral load to 130%.

I guess what I really liked about it before was what was actually wrong with it, ironically. The spongyness made it very easy to catch and hold or recover from a slide.

Concerning damping and the tank slapper effect, I had never used damping before because most people suggest turning it off but with it off, in most sims, the wheel is way too quick to snap back and forth from self aligning torque forces and is not a problem so long as you keep a fairly tight grip on the wheel but you shouldn't have to. The wheel should not keep snapping back and forth progressively further each time until the car spins out if you let go of the wheel. It should settle itself and straighten out.

I have been driving for 26 years and owned many sports cars and been on track a few times but never thought about steering wheel damping in real life until sim racing. I went out in my 93 300ZX convertible yesterday on a wide open 4 lane highway and did a quick experiment. I was cruising at 50mph and I abruptly turned the wheel about 60deg and let go and the wheel came back to center and the car smoothed out on its own and then tried the same thing at 75mph and the same thing, the car straightened out smoothly on its own. You do that same thing in most sims and the wheel will snap back and forth faster and further until it spins out. It's amazing all the stuff you take for granted and are never consciously aware of.

Since enabling damping, the wheel feels so much more realistic and the slight bit of fidelity lost is negligible due to the increase in overall realistic feel . I had to add 30% damping in R3e to completely eliminate the tank slapper effect. Rfactor 2 required about 20% damping. GSCE required the least damping at 15% and I still haven't figured out how to enable damping at all in the nightmare of ffb settings in Pcars!
spot on david what ive been saying all along, and of course my own experiement in my car lead to the same conclusion.

I had a go the other night. I tinkered with the steering force exponent, I think I noticed a difference but it was hard to tell. I tried similar settings to what David did, I found going too low brought on oscillation and I think I settled around .6 or .7.

I still have a lot of floatiness though, but I'm starting to doubt that this is a FFB problem. It seems to me like there's a big delay from when I turn the wheel to when the car actually reacts, and instead of being quick and precise it's a gradual, slow transition which leads to an odd, disconnected feeling from the car. It makes it very difficult to be precise with my inputs or have any confidence in them, I know where I want the car to go but it may end up 1 or 2 meters to the left or right of that point. It's a guessing game, and I don't feel like driving a racing car should be a guessing game (at least not to this extent). The cars also seem to bounce a lot, which leads to intermittent traction/control. Could this be more of a car setup issue than a FFB or physics issue? I'm worse than useless at tuning so every car I drive is completely stock.

I was also reminded of the other issue with this game that drives me bonkers.....if you touch a blade of grass or driver over 1cm of a kerb, you instantly spin. Combined with the imprecise reaction of the car to my steering, I hit a lot of kerbs and touched a lot of grass blades and was spinning out every other lap regardless of car or track. It's rather infuriating and ultimately led to my rig receiving a profane outburst from me and then being shut down.

I think it's gone for me (maybe it was all i n my head :cautious:). I use R3E in our MP club here and the cars handle great, the FFB is superb now and the racing is fantastic. RRE goes from strength to strength. All I did was dial in the FFB to my taste and just got used the handling model. It feels great to me.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 101 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 78 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 52 6.4%
  • < 5 years