Are there actually any add-ons working?

Hello everyone.

I have the following problem: I have tried two different versions of Racer, more detailed version 0.5.0 and 0.8.31 . Well, nothing of the downloads seem to work properly.

The downloaded cars in 0.8.31 give the message 'car must be at least for version 090 (car is for xx), with xx being 050f, 053b21, 088b, whatever.

The tracks are buggy as.. you know, where the devil lives. Except for the version compatibles, they seem to work properly. (1 in a hundred to be honest)

With 0.5.0 final, it's even worse. The cars show up, again extremely buggy. The tracks don't work at all.. the game just crashes.

I wish to mention that I use Windows 7 Ultimate x64 as OS, but normally I always get things to work (eventually with some tweaking). Well, forget it this time.

So, what the heck is wrong with this program? I spend 3 whole hours to download everything, an hour to find a downloadable 0.5 final, just to find out nothing works as expected. That's 4 hours I could use to do some useful work.

I would like to mention as well that I'm not trying to troll or rant the game/developer, I just would like to know what could possibly be wrong. It would be a shame to poing it to the recycle bin, since the original track and car work like a charm, and I would like to have the others work the same way: near perfection.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice and help.

EDIT: oh heck, and now I just saw the problems section on the forum. stupid me. I'm sorry. If possible, could this thread be moved into the problems section? It's probably the lack of sleep.

Ah, well, I just saw some of the topics, read them, and I guess I'll better give up on it. I can't distinguish which cars are compatible, which aren't, same for the tracks, and if I need to redo everything, I'll lose another 24 hours. I'm sorry. Keep up the good work though.

Well, actually his got right, that wont help at all because he must also fix shaders ;) Only changing that line will in most cases end showing white transparent texture except normal one.

The only way to fix it, is to wait till final release of racer and then fix all car shaders... soon, soon ;)

Well, actually his got right, that wont help at all because he must also fix shaders ;) Only changing that line will in most cases end showing white transparent texture except normal one.

The only way to fix it, is to wait till final release of racer and then fix all car shaders... soon, soon ;)

Well if they don have shaders yes, if they just don't have cg shaders just run Racer in no-cg mode

The most stable version in terms of content development is probable 0.6.5, you should use that rather than 0.5.0f if you want to play old content.

Alternatively, you can rename car.shd or track.shd to car_nocg.shd and track_nocg.shd and play with them in racer_nocg.exe in recent betas - which is the old graphics engine, plus physics updates.

Hopefully we're moving towards a 0.9.0f, but it seems to be taking a while:tongue:

Could the CG really be the problem? My computer is fitted with a Gigabyte Radeon HD 5770 Ultra Durable VGA, not really the worst card on the market..

I have seen that the *.shd files are included in every car and track. It won't be easy changing their names 250 times.. :tongue:

Well, I will try to use version 0.6.5 at a later time, like next evening or so.

Is there many work left for the 0.9.0 final? Wish I could help, unfortunately I'm just a beginning programmer :tongue:

The *.shd files have the same names but the typical shaders changed significantly. Really each car/track needs a near complete rewrite of the *.shd to be good in the latest versions. Texture layers are fine, but mixing is now carried out in cg shaders.

For example.
Old reflective shader:
Code:
shader_body
{
	layer0
	{
		map=gradient.tga
		texgen_s=sphere_map
		texgen_t=sphere_map
		emission=1. 1. 1. 1.
	}
	layer1
	{
		map=$trackenvmap
		texgen_s=reflection_map
		texgen_t=reflection_map
		texgen_r=reflection_map
		shininess=10
		specular=0.75 0.75 0.75
		blendfunc=filter
	}
	layer2
	{
		map=body.tga
		blendfunc=one src_alpha
	}
}

New shader:
Code:
shader_body
{
  compression=0
  reflect=1.0
  specular=0.2 0.2 0.2
  shininess=80
  layer0
  {
    map=body.tga
  }
  layer1
  {
    map=$trackenvmap
  }
  vertex_shader
  {
    file=dyn_standard_reflect_v.cg
  }
  fragment_shader
  {
    file=dyn_standard_reflect_f.cg
  }
}
The format's the same, but the parameters are quite different (and vertex/fragment shaders are new).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 159 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%