Anything New With AI?

Awhile back, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that iRacing was developing the addition of racing against AI.

Just wondering whether there's any more news about this?

Just a heads up regarding AI which I have found on the official forum.
A user asked some question and a dev answered (marked blue).

Question
1. The biggest question I have is, most AI or developed to run a line, with a secondary option, with Dirt/Paved Ovals the line changes through the race, will AI be able to adapt to this and move to find the speed, or will they be running through the slick while I move to the moisture? The same applies for Road when rain comes. Feels like without this, the entire concept of AI wont be that great if they cannot adapt to the changing conditions.

Dev: The plan is that the lines will vary with the conditions.

Question
2. Max car counts, I know that there is a limit built in, but with the news that types of cars can be unlimited (until you burn your PC down) will max car counts be changed to allow large fields at the Ring, or massive heat events with Heat Racing?

Dev: I think the same limits will apply that currently apply (6 cars max) but not sure on how that factors in to max car counts. I don't think AI will support a crazy car count if the sim currently can't do so.

Question
3. What is the difference in strain on my PC running a field of 40 AI compared to a field of 40 humans on a server. I assume everything will be done on my PCs end, so there probably would be a drop in fps?

Dev: It’s correct that everything is done on your PC. It’s hard to quantify what impact that will have – if you have some spare CPU there may not be any drop in fps, if not, then there may be some drop with large fields.

Question
4. Pitting, the last thing i want to see if late models pitting every caution at a short track, what kind of intelligence is built in on pitting, short pitting, staying out after only a few laps, or with only a few laps left in the race. This is one place NASCAR Heat failed so badly.

Dev: There is intelligence in the pit strategy that takes into account how much time will be lost pitting, and weighing that against the benefits of improved lap times.

Question
5. What type of adjustments to the AI will we be able to do, what ratings can we set for individual drivers?

Dev: Currently planned per driver ratings (subject to change):
a. Skill
b. Optimism
c. Aggressiveness
d. Smoothness
e. Age
f. Pit strategy risk taking
g. Pit crew skill

Just a heads up regarding AI which I have found on the official forum.
A user asked some question and a dev answered (marked blue).
Dev: The plan is that the lines will vary with the conditions.
Dev: Currently planned per driver ratings (subject to change):
a. Skill
b. Optimism
c. Aggressiveness
d. Smoothness
e. Age
f. Pit strategy risk taking
g. Pit crew skill
My guess is that iRacings new AI is just a kind of re-awakening of the AI logic sleeping in the NR2003 code that is (still) the core of iRacing.
Ofcourse with some tweaking :whistling:

Conserning the AI racing lines then NR2003 allready used some (editable) upper and lower (outer/inner) line boundaries inside which the sim found the best(most effective) line.

Conserning the AI driver ratings refered to above there is some interesting resemblance to the orig NR2003 AI driver ratings:

Attachments

• GTP-AI-Rating.png
    GTP-AI-Rating.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 357
No AI for the next build (around March):
Ai will not be in this build but we realistically expect it will release this year. We want it to be robust and be proud of it when we release it. Just so much to refine when addressing all the things that happen on track, close racing, starts, pits, race control etc. All those details are what makes it good or not. We are making great progress. There are some very nice options on skill settings, building seasons etc.

My guess is that iRacings new AI is just a kind of re-awakening of the AI logic sleeping in the NR2003 code that is (still) the core of iRacing.
Ofcourse with some tweaking :whistling:

Conserning the AI racing lines then NR2003 allready used some (editable) upper and lower (outer/inner) line boundaries inside which the sim found the best(most effective) line.

Conserning the AI driver ratings refered to above there is some interesting resemblance to the orig NR2003 AI driver ratings:

Devs have posted numerous times that there is essentially 0% NR2003 left in iRacing and hasn't been any for a long long time.

What the iRacing staff is outpouring about how much NR2003 code is left in iRacing depends solely on the possible advantage they get talking the figure up or down.
In their lawsuit against the modder TMcArthur for infringement of their right to the NR2003 code Kaemmer himself claimed that there was about 50% NR2003 code inside iRacing.
That figure was claimed in the courtroom - so...

NOTE: But you are ofcourse allowed to believe what you want.:thumbsup:

A reasonable question.
And trust me before I refered to the lawsuit I used almost 1H to search for the documentation of iRacings orig lawsuit against Tim McArthur.
I have saved it somewhere(!) on my HD - but I also tried google but eventhough Tim still refer to this case round on the net then I was unable to find his orig quote from the court.
But its easy to find traces of this TMcArthur vs iRacing/FIRST lawsuit if you want to.
Hehe its not something I invented as an argument;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 300 13.3%