Anyone with a 6900 xt have any experience in VR?

So in my hunt for a gpu, specifically a 3080/90, i found a 6900xt at microcenter yesterday. This isnt a card i was looking at at all, so I dont know anything about it honeslty. Im a Nvidia man. How well do these perform in VR for us sim racers. My rig is in pieces right now so i cant test it for a while. Im not 100% sure if im keeping this yet. Especially since my pancake is a gsync monitor. Any experience from team red?

• Deleted member 197115

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about the 2 fastest cards, this is a 6900XT thread right ?

6900XT is better bang for buck then the RTX3090 :geek:

P.S.
This is 23 games not 15

Below 6800XT is also better bang for buck then RTX3080

performance-per-dollar_2560-1440.png

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

What does that metric even mean when you need FPS?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Yeah, I understand, but don't you find it silly when it comes to measuring GPU "worth" and especially drawing recommendations based on this chart.
I can see some value in price comparison of equal performance rivals, like 3080 and 6900XT, but other than that can't imagine how it can be useful when picking up components for the system, cheapest GPUs always win.

I never said what I think about it nor that I would recommend anything from graphs ;)

That is why I have said on a few occasions that showing how fast a CPU runs at 1920x1080 is pointless
unless you actually run 1920x1080 lol ;)

P.S.

Not all people buy for value, some may buy because one specific game runs faster and don't care about cost so imho there is no right wrong answers

Last edited:
I think both of you are correct tbh. But it depends if your a gamer who plays multiple titles, the average fps argument makes sense.
If however you buy the card specifically for playing ACC and barely anything else then that is the only important metric right? All about what you want to get out of it.

Problem is at the moment logical discussions have gone out the window and everyone is thinking of it as an emotional purchase instead. Buy what you can get hold of, pay as much as you feel you want to.

So in my hunt for a gpu, specifically a 3080/90, i found a 6900xt at microcenter yesterday. This isnt a card i was looking at at all, so I dont know anything about it honeslty. Im a Nvidia man. How well do these perform in VR for us sim racers. My rig is in pieces right now so i cant test it for a while. Im not 100% sure if im keeping this yet. Especially since my pancake is a gsync monitor. Any experience from team red?
I was searching the internet trying to find out about how well the 6900xt performed in VR and this post came up.

now that you’re several months in are you happy with the 6900xt’s performance in VR or shouldy I avoid AMD for VR altogether?

I was searching the internet trying to find out about how well the 6900xt performed in VR and this post came up.

now that you’re several months in are you happy with the 6900xt’s performance in VR or shouldy I avoid AMD for VR altogether?
I ended up getting a 3090 a week later and returned the 6900xt. It was great in VR. If you find one you wont be disappointed thats for sure. The 3090 outperforms it but not by much. But i play a bunch of raytraced games and i had a gsync monitor already so the 3090 made more sense for me. With that being said the hunt for perfect VR is never ending. Since writing this post i upgraded to a hp reverb g2. Even the mighty 3090 cant run that 100% maxed out on sim titles. 4090 it is then.

I ended up getting a 3090 a week later and returned the 6900xt. It was great in VR. If you find one you wont be disappointed thats for sure. The 3090 outperforms it but not by much. But i play a bunch of raytraced games and i had a gsync monitor already so the 3090 made more sense for me. With that being said the hunt for perfect VR is never ending. Since writing this post i upgraded to a hp reverb g2. Even the mighty 3090 cant run that 100% maxed out on sim titles. 4090 it is then.
That's disappointing.
With all the hoopla....and given the price of the RTX3090, you'd think it could blow through VR at the most extreme settings...and make a sandwich
Still...it has to be a good experience, even at slightly reduced settings.
Positive VR interactions seem more and more to come down to people's sensitivity.

That's disappointing.
With all the hoopla....and given the price of the RTX3090, you'd think it could blow through VR at the most extreme settings...and make a sandwich
Still...it has to be a good experience, even at slightly reduced settings.
Positive VR interactions seem more and more to come down to people's sensitivity.
Yah i though so too. But the g2 is really high resolution. It still looks fantastic with some settings turned down. Ive learned that the whole having everything maxed out is a endless battle that we can never win. Especially in sim racing. With that being said, games made for VR like half life alyx run fantastic maxed out. And look incredible.

LOL

I'm waiting in line tonight at MC and still trying to nail down my priorities based off GPU performance in VR. Ironically I'm wrestling with getting the FTW3 Ultra 3090, but, paying $1869 US is too much imo for the minor performance uplift from the 3080. I'm also unfamiliar with AMD GPU's aside from the few mostly negative experiences users have had.

I'm newish to PC gaming (my last foray into PC gaming was '96-'99) and a first time builder currently I'm on a 1070 which was gifted from a friend so I could complete my build and I'm using Quest 2 via Link exclusively with PCVR. Your reply has given me some comfort with adding the AMD cards to my priority list while also trying to keep my price cap at $1500

6800xt
6900xt

while I really want the RTX and DLSS performance of the Nvidia cards I think I'd prefer the higher VRAM and better rasterization of the AMD cards while saving some money because as you pointed out the 40 series/7000 series GPU's aren't that far off. the 4070 may have the same spec as the 3090 if we get the same uplift that we're getting from 20 to 30 series cards. It's a difficult proposition for me to spend $2k on a gpu's performance now when its likely that that same performance is possibly going to cost a quarter of that with the next generation probably as year from now.

this generation while exciting has been mostly **** with crypto and the pandemic. I still think we're about 2 generations away from the VR sweet spot with regards to GPU performance and an HMD feature set of a wide FOV, high pixel density screen, high refresh, with eye tracking all at a consumer friendly price so I'm trying to balance price to performance until then.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back