Anyone willing to test their tactile setup for me?

To begin with, my point of asking about this is not to get into an argument about whose system is better than another, though maybe a discussion about what approach is better is inevitable.

Mainly what I am hoping to find out is:
  1. Is the effect I am looking for achievable
  2. If it is achievable, how difficult is it to achieve
I have also some limitations with my setup. I am unable to see a way to attach any transducers or exciters directly to my seat. The seat is a Corbeau DFX. It has some sort of internal frame, not a solid bucket structure that I can attach to.
My cockpit is a Sim Labs P1-X

My current setup is two PUI Audio transducers mounted on a board, with that board mounted under the seat mounts.
seat mount.jpg

With that out of the way…

One of my favorite tracks is Port Newark, for me loads of fun. It is a rough track with some fairly hard hits.

It has a few concrete bridges, and when driving over them, my wheel will pick up a very distinct vibration, but I have been unable to find an effect in SimHub, or been able to tune one, that will transfer this effect to my transducers and into my seat. I have no idea if this is a limitation of my transducers and setup, or a limitation of my skill at tuning an effect in SimHub.
I can feel the harder hits on the bridges, for example, the expansion joints will come through using the default settings for road vibrations, and for road impacts.

Essentially, I don’t know if it is even realistic to expect a setup to be able to pick up effects as subtle as this, and again, if it is possible, how difficult it is to achieve, or how sophisticated a setup it takes to achieve it.

Thanks!

You need to give more information , a quick look suggests its in AC but the car you use may impact and a screenshot of your simhub settings and which one you are expecting to give a tactile response from may help.

Also, have you tried a recording and keeping an eye on simhub to see if data is coming through in the points you think they should?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh my, thanks @metalnwood! A little more info would help.

I'll get back with settings when I get to my gaming PC, but yes, it is AC. Car was 488 GT3, and I'll try the Audi R8 LMS again, though I think it reacted the same.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
The bridges have what I would call a wash-board feeling to them, or a corrugation to them. This is felt through the wheel very well, but it is a quick hit to the wheel, feels more like a vibration coming through the wheel then any distinct hit.

I get no sensation through my transducers at all that relates to this washboard/vibration.

I worked with road impact and road vibrations, one at a time.

1629074903367.png

These are default settings in SimHub. I changed frequency, changed gain, did not do anything with auto-threshold or auto-calibration sensitivity. I can feel the frequency changes, but it does not add any information; in other words, the wash-board vibration is not felt through the transducers.

I then moved to Simulated Road Texture
1629075207910.png

I changed frequencies, and experimented with the "Effect low force" and "Effect high force", and some with "Simulated road grain. (As an aside, this effect might be useful, but I have not yet figured out how to filter out some of the noise, there is a constant vibration, which is just too much noise. No "threshold" setting as there is in other effects).

Same thing here, it does not seem to pick up any signal at all when hitting the wash-board/vibration sensation when going over the bridges.

It just seems like that information is completely missing. When I make adjustments to gain, frequency, etc., to any of the effects, I can feel those changes, but it is simply amplifying or diminishing the effect that is already there. The hits/impacts are all there, nothing gained or lost, just a different frequency and/or strength.

Not sure if this makes any sense, or if it is of any help. If there is anything I can do to clarify, please let me know.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
There is an effect for "road rumble" in Simhub. The label on it seems to suggest it will trigger the effects you are after. Unfortunately for AC, this effect is not supported and you won't be able to use it to achieve the desired result.

Upvote 0
There is an effect for "road rumble" in Simhub. The label on it seems to suggest it will trigger the effects you are after. Unfortunately for AC, this effect is not supported and you won't be able to use it to achieve the desired result.

There is speed related simulated road texture. I've used it at times, but usually at low levels 20% power.

Upvote 0
The speed related road texture came close, but it was very "busy", lots of noise. Maybe I'll give it a try at lower power level.
Unfortunately not a solution for this particular track.

Upvote 0
Increasing the threshold may help. It will not come on until significant signal is received. Perhaps that will help filter out a lot of the useless noise. Try and get it to a level where you only feel the rumble come on when passing over that texture you want to feel.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 308 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 156 7.8%
  • < 5 years