Anyone waiting for the 3080ti ??

The RTX3080Ti release (if accurate), would have to be such a small performance increase so as not to encroach into RTX3090 territory.
I think they went from "3080 performance +5% with 20gb" to "3090 performance with only 12gb".

If the rumors are true... Gonna be interesting what the price will be.
Had a look last week:
Asus tuf 3070 = 889€ at the same Shop I've bought mine in November for 679€...

I thought I would've made one the worst bang for buck deals I ever did and did kinda regret to have bought it.

Now it seems I made the best hardware call ever lol.
3060ti was better bang for buck but I could only get an msi ventus 2x for 510€ and gave it to a friend. Cooler too loud for my taste...
(he told me to buy one if I can get one and he would either take my 3070 or 3060ti for what I paid for them)

Since then you can't buy anything here in Germany Oo at least not for similar prices...

Last edited:
Yeah I think it makes sense with the way nvidia have always segmented their products.

Means they can take a failed 3090 (2 SMs not working) and use it for a 3080ti. Use half the memory but with the same bandwidth for a 'cheaper' equally performing card. Still bet it'll be $999 base msrp though, or maybe slightly less against the 6900xt. Which doesn't even compete at 4k or level of features anyway.

This setup is very similar to how the Titan rtx was against the 2080ti.
In fact like how the 2080ti vs Titan rtx was, buying an expensive custom 3080ti that is custom overclocked is likely going to outperform a stock reference 3090.

You only have to look back at how they price their professional cards vs the flagship gaming cards with same spec to understand how they double costs for essentially the same performance.

A rumored $1000 for RTX3080Ti.
If true.... Let us think about that for a second.
A currently unobtainable $699MSRP for a 10GB variant...then essentially paying $300 more for what should essentially be an $800-900 card.
No thanks.
P.T. Barnum comes to mind.
As to 'hash-gimping'... What is the point, if most of the sales to mining companies come directly from the manufacturer?
That is the basis of the shortages overall...not the individual who runs two cards in his living room.

Last edited:
Why they cheap out on VRAM? Should have given at least 16Gb.

Your choice is between 10, 20, 12 or 24gb as that's how the memory bus is setup between the 3080 and 3090. 12gb indicates the same 384bit bus as the 3090 which is a good thing and they didn't cheap out on bandwidth.

16gb would mean either a slower bus same as a 3070 or 6800xt but with double 1gb chips which would handicap the card at 4k, or they would need to design an even bigger more expensive bus than the 3090 which isn't going to happen.

Your choice is between 10, 20, 12 or 24gb as that's how the memory bus is setup between the 3080 and 3090. 12gb indicates the same 384bit bus as the 3090 which is a good thing and they didn't cheap out on bandwidth.

16gb would mean either a slower bus same as a 3070 or 6800xt but with double 1gb chips which would handicap the card at 4k, or they would need to design an even bigger more expensive bus than the 3090 which isn't going to happen.

Some extra info on the subject

Last edited:
Getting so close to actually getting my card shipped. I'm still waiting on my first update since the new year but I might be at 16th in the cue by this weekend. One more good sized order coming in should get me my card.

I've been biting my nails that OCUK would cancel the order due to all the Brexit mess, but it looks like they'll honour the original MSRP. This launch must have cost them a fortune once the suppliers upped the prices and left OCUK with a load of orders on the books that were going to cost them more to fulfil.

Graphics card market badly needs some new manufacturers in the mix. Nvidia get away with too much.

I don't blame them to be honest.
We can't even secure enough stock for 3080's. And the street price for a 3080 straight from a retailer is more like $900.
What they need is enough stock to meet demand. Having another SKU just means splitting available silicon into three hard to get SKU's instead of only two.

At this point in time I'm just happy that I upgraded my 1070 to a 2070 Super before it all went cray cray...
I can't possibly justify the current prices to the wife... Its beyond insane, even if I were to actually make money off my current GPU, it would cost again as much to buy a new one, if I could actually find one of course...

I don't blame them to be honest.
We can't even secure enough stock for 3080's. And the street price for a 3080 straight from a retailer is more like $900.
What they need is enough stock to meet demand. Having another SKU just means splitting available silicon into three hard to get SKU's instead of only two.
The problem is people are paying those prices. Gamers are the worst for just going a long with shady business practices because they really want the thing and aren't able to wait.
If people just said no to these prices and didn't buy the cards it would change pretty rapidly.
the bottom line for the manufactures is they're making money, they aren't loosing out in any way shape or form, this is probably just really good business from their point of view and they know that no matter how much gamers cry about the price they'll still pay it.

Even though I paid for a card 7 months ago I'm beginning to lose faith I'll ever get it. There's literally nothing coming into the site I bought it from. I don't blame the site because they're getting screwed worse than anybody because they're trying to fulfil orders at the original price even though the costs went up from them.

I view the 3080Ti as a kick in the teeth and a **** you from manufactures. I'm sure they'll sell every single one of them instantly, and have a really great report at the end of the year for their shareholders, pat on the back for everybody.

The problem is people are paying those prices. Gamers are the worst for just going a long with shady business practices because they really want the thing and aren't able to wait.
If people just said no to these prices and didn't buy the cards it would change pretty rapidly.
the bottom line for the manufactures is they're making money, they aren't loosing out in any way shape or form, this is probably just really good business from their point of view and they know that no matter how much gamers cry about the price they'll still pay it.

Even though I paid for a card 7 months ago I'm beginning to lose faith I'll ever get it. There's literally nothing coming into the site I bought it from. I don't blame the site because they're getting screwed worse than anybody because they're trying to fulfil orders at the original price even though the costs went up from them.

I view the 3080Ti as a kick in the teeth and a **** you from manufactures. I'm sure they'll sell every single one of them instantly, and have a really great report at the end of the year for their shareholders, pat on the back for everybody.
Every good business wants to maximize profit. I see nothing wrong. The consumer will vote with their wallet.

I totally get what you mean and it sure is frustrating that other people are "voting with their wallets" in a completely different way than you or me would find reasonable!

To hold up the flag for at least the people I know, nobody bought a card yet, they're all waiting until the situation resolves and aren't playing games that need the performance.

The only cards in my circle of friends are the 3 cards I bought last year simply by refreshing a lot and being lucky.

3060ti ventus 2x for 504€
TUF 3070 for 679€
TUF 3080 for 839€

The prices didn't feel great but I think they're still okay when you look at the performance, the change from 9xx to 10xx, to 20xx and now the 30xx.
The 1070 has the performance of the 980ti.

980ti = ~650€
1070 = 506€ (that's what I paid for my MSI gaming 8G)
2070 = ~599€

Turing wasn't a good deal imo... Not enough performance for too much money.

2080ti = ~1100€

The 3070 has 2080ti performance and also from Pascal over Turing to Ampere, the tiers shifted imo.
So the 70's became "60 super" and now "60ti".
Going with that, the 3060ti did cost exactly the same as my 1070, while having roughly 1.9x performance of it. That's still within normal generational leaps when looking at the last decade.

The 3070 for 679€ is 0.6x the price of the 2080ti while having the same performance and the 3080 I bought has a better performance per € compared to the 3070.

+30% performance while costing ~300€ less is a good deal.
Or comparing the 3070 to the 1070, I got 2.0x performance for 180€ more.

Many perspectives on that but in my opinion, the prices I paid are okay. But nobody should pay more.. Or at least not much more...

And the ~20 people I'm in direct contact with all agree. So there's hope.

But with a few billion people on our planet, you'll always find someone willing to pay 1500€ for a 3080. When the demand will go down and the production will improve, we'll see it going back to normal.

When looking at global politics and how people vote internationally and locally, I see far more serious issues than people buying overpriced GPUs :unsure::whistling:

One factor that isn't taken into my perspectives above:
All 3 Ampere cards are a quieter than my 1070! And my 1070 was one of the quiet cards!

The 2x ventus was about the same noise as my 1070 and similar cooling solution, but it stayed a bit cooler than my 1070 did.

The two TUF cards though... I'm really in awe!
My 1070 always hovered at around 80°C at okayish noise levels. Just adding a bit of noise over my case and CPU fans.

The undervolted 3080 has zero coil wine and I can't hear the fans at all until 50%, which is enough for most games to keep the card below 75°C!
At 60%, the fans are detectable when I shut off the case+cpu fans but not to hear when I set them to ~50%, which is my "gaming cooling level".

However my 3080 is chilling, literally, at around 60°C then and only goes up to 70°C, when I put constant 90%+ load on it.

And for that alone, I would pay 100€ extra. The TUF cards are imo the best cards currently.. They don't cost more than average while having by far the best cooling solution.
Asus really hooked me up with them! :)

Every good business wants to maximize profit. I see nothing wrong. The consumer will vote with their wallet.
I think consumers today don't do that though, they never think about how they spend their money. I'm of the opinion now that how you spend your money is almost as important if not more important than how you vote. How people spend money has a much more immediate effect on the world than voting for some dude working off a hymn sheet every few years.

3060ti ventus 2x for 504€
TUF 3070 for 679€
TUF 3080 for 839€

The prices didn't feel great but I think they're still okay when you look at the performance, the change from 9xx to 10xx, to 20xx and now the 30xx.
The 1070 has the performance of the 980ti.
Considering how things turned out it's not bad. I paid £766 (gigabyte OC gaming) all in VAT and shipping.
I wouldn't have gotten caught up in this if I didn't want to upgrade my VR setup. I bought the HP G2 and the card at the same time. I had accepted that there would be a delay on both. Now I have the G2 running pretty much at the same settings as the Oculus rift CV it replaced.

But now there's talk of them discontinuing all the V1 of 3080s for updated anti mining version, which means cancelling all existing orders. That along with the Ti fighting for chips means my order is as good as dead I think. Because I waited in line like a fool I'll have to either wait until next year or pay 2-3 times what the price should be. They could all be rumours.

It's all pretty frustrating. If needs be I'll wait until next year I guess.

I think consumers today don't do that though, they never think about how they spend their money. I'm of the opinion now that how you spend your money is almost as important if not more important than how you vote. How people spend money has a much more immediate effect on the world than voting for some dude working off a hymn sheet every few years.
Turk, I don't follow your comments. Supply and demand is at play here. The supply is low and there are people that want high performance card so much, they are willing to pay a lot of money, wait in lines, frequent trips to stores, or use special online tools or processes to get one. Manufacturers are aware of this and should price the cards as high as possible to maximize profit.

Turk, I don't follow your comments. Supply and demand is at play here. The supply is low and there are people that want high performance card so much, they are willing to pay a lot of money, wait in lines, frequent trips to stores, or use special online tools or processes to get one. Manufacturers are aware of this and should price the cards as high as possible to maximize profit.
They can charge higher prices, and I guess as there's no real competition in the market so there's not much consumers can do about it. We just have to accept it.

Companies can take advantage of market short falls, but they are also gambling a bit that they won't lose customer long term. The default isn't always to take advantage of customers for short term gain, many companies that have to work hard for their customers put happiness and loyalty over short term gain. OCUK has absorbed all the costs that price increases have put on the cards they had already sold.

They can charge higher prices, and I guess as there's no real competition in the market so there's not much consumers can do about it. We just have to accept it.

Companies can take advantage of market short falls, but they are also gambling a bit that they won't lose customer long term. The default isn't always to take advantage of customers for short term gain, many companies that have to work hard for their customers put happiness and loyalty over short term gain. OCUK has absorbed all the costs that price increases have put on the cards they had already sold.
I’m sure everything you described is considered in the marketing plan and cost analysis. Short and long term profit.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%