Anyone waiting for the 3080ti ??

These are real shortages though, aren't they and this is TSMC acting like any business would when demand outstrips supply for their product?

Apologies if you are agreeing with me, I'm not clear what point you are making by quoting me.

Intel is building a new fab in the US, no date yet. TMSC is building a US fab, done by 2024.
Not much help with the current shortage but hope for the nearish future.

real shortages
IMO, this is a real artificial shortage, where Samsung and TSMC between them effectively have a duopoly on state-of-the-art chip production. Since both S. Korea and Taiwan managed the pandemic relatively well, that is no obvious excuse for supply constraint. They may have honestly underestimated demand growth, and it is understandable that they did not continue manufacturing and stockpiling application-specific chips (e.g. for the auto industry) last year.
Given the semiconductor producer price index over the most recent 20 years, a 30% increase seems suspicious.

My understanding is that none of the announced U.S. fabs will be leading edge, which would likely relegate them to lower profit margins, particularly given relatively low U.S. productivity,
if supplies were not being artificially constrained.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that Intel will have fully competitive cards+drivers until their second or third iterations
Lead Research Scientist of Facebook Reality Labs, Anton Kaplanyan, will be joining Intel as Vice President of AXG Group Graphics Research and will be a key player in furthering gaming technology (including machine learning-based supersampling which Intel currently calls XeSS). NVIDIA's DLSS is one of the killer apps present in Turing/Ampere GPUs and Anton was part of the team that pioneered those approaches.

Last edited:
IMO, this is a real artificial shortage, where Samsung and TSMC between them effectively have a duopoly on state-of-the-art chip production. Since both S. Korea and Taiwan managed the pandemic relatively well, that is no obvious excuse for supply constraint.
These companies are under no obligation to provide chips to anybody. They are a business out to make profit and selling as many chips as they can is how they make their money.
I don't think their country doing well in the pandemic really matters, there's been global shortages in everything. Every step and stage from making raw materials to getting stuff shipped has delays and one delay in one place filters out to other industries.

It's a completely mess that's a good year away from being sorted. Everything is affected and most businesses are still struggling to find stock and keep machines running. The problem is no ones going to invest to meet current demand if that demand is going to drop off in 3 years time and leave them paying for capacity they don't need.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back