Anyone using TrackIR with Race 07/GTR Evo?

i have always avoided this technology... i have a habit of leaning when driving to try to convince the car to hold the corner :D

always wondered how it worked like... in real life if i want to see whats coming up the right i would look out the window over my shoulder. in my mind in a virtual world that would mean i would be moving my head to look away from the screen in front of me. how does this work???

• David Hal

I started using TrackIR in the days of Il2 Sturmovik.
A bit strange at the beginning, but when you get the feeling of it,
you will never want to fly without it.

Nowadays im trying to use it with GTR-E.
Because im just started with sim racing (GTR2 5 weeks ago),
im still trying it out, both of them, trackir settings and keeping the car on the road.

always wondered how it worked like... in real life if i want to see whats coming up the right i would look out the window over my shoulder. in my mind in a virtual world that would mean i would be moving my head to look away from the screen in front of me. how does this work???
In the TackIr software, you have different profiles for different games.
There's also the possibility to create a profile for game.

In a profile (Racing) you can adjust the settings of your movement.
When you made irl a turn of (example)8 degrees with your head, then it will be ingame a turn of 90 degrees.

So when you are racing, you will irl turn your head a few degrees, but you will never lose line of sight on your monitor.

Here is movie wich give a good example.Only it's not racing but Arma.
http://media.naturalpoint.com/video/gamedemo/dec8_trackir_and_arma_fm_low.wmv

• David Hal

Looking at over my right shoulder, in a BMW 320SI E90 2007.
Not all models are made for TrackIR, or somebody stole my rear end.

capture_2008-09-08_20-23-28.jpg

:wink:

I've been using a TrackIR4 for about a year.

It definitely takes a little getting used to, but once you do, you'll never race without it. Its especially useful in the Helmet view cars.

I have a button mapped for centring on my wheel, and generally reset every lap or so. Its just a habit rather than a necessity I think. I've also got the other button (G25) set to look back.

It tracks really smoothly, though sometimes there is a FPS hit when initially leaving the pits. This passes very quickly.

The only downside to using the reflectors, is sunshine. If the sun hits a surface behind you (in RL) , you can suddenly find yourself staring at the floor or roof of the car because the tracker gets confused. It is possible to adjust the sensitivity to avoid this, but that tends to reduce tracking efficiency in normal light. Best just to pull the curtains/blinds when racing :)

I have mine adjusted so I can just look over my shoulder slightly, probably a bit more than I could do with a helmet on, but hey, in real life I'd set the mirrors so I can actually see something out of them.

• Rocco Uder

I got TrackIR and it works great, it´ really nice if an opponent is left or right from you (blind angle).

• Teppo Syrjä

I bought TrackIR for IL-2 flight sim but I'm using it with racing sims as well.
In my opinion it's a must for flight sims because you have to think in 3D.
In racing sims I need a completely stable view to be able to "feel" the changes in the stance of the car. This has forced me to set the deadzone of the gadget to quite high so most of the time I'm watching straight forward as if I didn't have the TrackIR at all. Basically I just use it to quickly glance to the left/right to see if there's anybody there. This could be done with the appoppriate buttons as well but using TrackIR frees up two buttons for some other useless functions.

• jimmc

"It definitely takes a little getting used to," > +1

"but once you do, you'll never race without it." > +1

"Its especially useful in the Helmet view cars." > +1

I've been using a TrackIR 4 with a 20" Viewsonic for about 2 years and I would not like to race without it now.

I use it in GT Legends, GTR², rFactor and GTR Evolution without any issue. Of course you need to get used to it and to set it up well before really appreciating the quality of this product.

As it was said before, you need to have a button mapped on the wheel to center it regularly and it doesn't like the sun in the room.

The habit of leaning the head in the turns in not a problem as you just have to desactivate the corresponding axis and keep the other 5.

The great pleasure of this device is to be able to look in the mirors or the cars near you on the straights but I think it's also usefull in some cars: for example, the vision through the windscreen is not ideal in the Mosler (at least in GTR², I don't remember in GTR Evo) and the TrackIR helps a lot for the apex.

The great feeling with the TrackIR is that you're not looking at a static screen showing the cockpit of a racing car but you're inside the car!!

It's really worth it's price. :thumb:

What onboard view do you use, Anybody using Track-ir ?

I am struggeling with my onboard view in this game ...
I m used to drive with onboard view with my track-ir on , but with this game if i m onboard and take position as i like it , i cant see my gauges anymore.
It is as if the steering wheel is coming so far out towards me i cannot look what on there either. The best result i get now with hood view or atleast as far to the windscreen as possible , i just simply drive the best times like that .
But my goal is realsm , is there a way maybe to reposition the wheel or someting ?
Or do i just have to life with it :D

I am struggeling with my onboard view in this game ...
I m used to drive with onboard view with my track-ir on , but with this game if i m onboard and take position as i like it , i cant see my gauges anymore.
It is as if the steering wheel is coming so far out towards me i cannot look what on there either. The best result i get now with hood view or atleast as far to the windscreen as possible , i just simply drive the best times like that .
But my goal is realsm , is there a way maybe to reposition the wheel or someting ?
Or do i just have to life with it :D

There is an option to remove the wheel in the PLR file:
[ Graphic Options ]
Steering Wheel Visible In Cockpit="1"
Arms Visible In Cockpit="1"

Set to "0" what you want to disable.
.PLR file can be found in ..\Steam\SteamApps\<SteamLoginName>\race 07\UserData\<drivername>\<drivername>.PLR

Good luck.

I just wrote a trhread about it , i did not see this one yet ,
i use Track-ir too but i want to sit closer to the windscreen , but in this game i cannot see the gauges and the steering wheel gauges anymore....

ok i just need to sit back furter to the back , but for some reason my laptimes dont like that ...

about the screens , in a couple of months , that is when i move into my new house with more room , my setup will be three 22"screen with the triplehead2go and the track-ir , i will be one happy racer :D

You can adjust your seat position, check the control options.

Should be: hold left mouse button and move mouse forwards and back to adjust one way, right mouse button for the other.
Left Ctrl + left mouse button + move mouse to adjust FOV.

Thnx for the reply Madd , but i know about the seat repositioning , the thing is that when i slide forward , my nose is like IN the steering wheel , so i need to shut it off . that is also a setting in game btw. only not when on track.

but when i shut the wheel off , i would miss the info on the lcd on the wheel.
But i probebly should not complain about this and just learn to drive good times with a onboard view somewhat more back. and that should be just a matter of practice.

The driving view appears to be a constant bone of contention. I'm not entirely certain that it is that much more realistic, personally.

When I'm in my car IRL and look forward at the road, I hardly see (well, hardly notice might be more accurate) any part of my car, wheel, dashboard, gauges, whatever, unless I specifically look at them.

The hood view and hud speedo is the best comparison to that real life view that I found.

So what is more "realistic"?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back