Anyone Upgrade from the Samsung Odyssey + to a newer VR headset?

Im wondering if any of the latest headsets are worth it over the Odyssey + from a clarity perspective at least. Anyone upgrade to a newer headset from the Samsung and notice a worth while visual upgrade? Any other reason you upgraded?

Blurriness issues aside (a software problem introduced with windows and Steam version above 1.7.15) the only headset that appears to have a substantially better screen is the HP Reverb. 2160p is definitely a lot higher than the 1600p of the Odyssey+. The Index has a wider sweet spot of vision at the same sort of resolution but it spreads it out over a wider Field of View. The PiMax 5k+ and other headsets have a lot more horizontal vision and there 8KR is similar to the reverb in having 2160p vertical but its PiMax and they still have a lot of delivering left to do.

Basically Samsung got ahead of the game with these screens, pretty much everything else at this resolution is better in some ways but also quite a bit more expensive, whether any of those improvements from the Rift S, Index etc is enticing really depends on your desire. The HP Reverb is the only true resolution upgrade but it is still very much a WMR device and is a genuine upgrade from the Odyssey+ but might be a downgrade in other ways.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Great post, my only cottection is that technically Index does not spead resolution over wider FOV like Pimax, vertical and horizontal pixels are the same as O+, it just allow move lenses closer to eyes, and of course features more subpixels being RGB LCD.
Reverb res indeed true next gen, but still based on old WMR, has build quality issues, smaller FOV, and fixed IPD (biggest detractor).

Upvote 0
My son just got an Index after using mine 3 times. I got him the Odyssey + last year for Christmas.

I tried to talk him out of it, but part of the reason had to do with hand tracking and higher frame rate for playing room scale games. The Index wins by a landslide for that. He gets competitive and was very frustrated with the WMR hand controllers and poor tracking.

I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to an Index for sim use.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. I think my biggest gripe with the Samsung is how big it is and how hot it gets under there. but I think it still looks more than good enough for sim racing. But sometimes it gets a little uncomfortable after long sessions. The WMR experience could use a little work too.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. I think my biggest gripe with the Samsung is how big it is and how hot it gets under there. but I think it still looks more than good enough for sim racing. But sometimes it gets a little uncomfortable after long sessions. The WMR experience could use a little work too.

The Index stays very cool if you have a fan in front of you. It's ventilated and you will actually feel a slight breeze and have no issues what-so-ever with fogged up displays. It's also extremely comfortable for extended sessions. It has an amazingly comfortable face shield and it distributes its weight very well. It is built to a very high quality specification and the SteamVR experience was a bit weird last summer especially with recognizing audio etc, but over the last few months it seems they've gotten all the issues worked out.

Still if you can get by with what you've got and wait another generation, you will always end up better off.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Fix for O+ comfort:

For post 17.1.5. SteamVR blurriness:

Upvote 0
In terms of clarity the Index's image has 50% pixels than SO+. This is because of the sub pixels and IMO this translates to the clarity.

Additionally the image of the Index is not as blurry towards the edges.

Agreed I think it looks better and has a much larger in focus area, etc. but I try not to think too much about all this stuff since these things only have a life span of 2-3 years.

Upvote 0
For me I still can’t decide between the index or the reverb.
But then another part of me is saying get a O+ second hand and save a few quid for the next generation of VR.
Ideally I’d like someone to take the decision out of my hands and tell me, as that way I won’t always be wondering if I got the right headset

Upvote 0
But then another part of me is saying get a O+ second hand and save a few quid for the next generation of VR.
Ideally I’d like someone to take the decision out of my hands and tell me, as that way I won’t always be wondering if I got the right headset

LOL! That will end well.

What's right depends on you.

If you play room scale games at all competitively none of WMR headsets ( Reverb or Odyssey ) will be good enough. The Index is the best option by a margin for room scale.

If you are looking at rig only use and are all about resolution only then get the Reverb.

If you are catching a sale for close to $200 and want something that works for now and will hold you until the next generation get an Odyssey+.

To really make use of the Index or Reverb, you will need a top end PC and GPU. For the Index you will be driving frame rate, for the Reverb resolution. However you will still want a strong PC for an Odyssey + They all have a strong render load for racing sims.

There are many other personal preferences involved. The Index is built solid and is very comfortable out of the box and feels higher end than either the Reverb or Odyssey, but a full system also costs $1000.

I have to say that I have gotten to the point were I greatly prefer running 120 fps over 90 fps despite naysayers it is more comfortable and less fatiguing over longer use and just looks better.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

In terms of clarity the Index's image has 50% pixels than SO+. This is because of the sub pixels and IMO this translates to the clarity.

Additionally the image of the Index is not as blurry towards the edges.
It's 34% more sub pixels, not pixels (/3 x 2). RGB vs Pentile
It will be sharper but exact level of improvement is more complicated than just that percent due to the way human eye perceives blue colors and subpixels shape, like in diamond OLED.
Also Samsung has done some tricky thing with Anti-SDE screen that essentially hides subpixels, virtually eliminating SDE.
IMO AMOLED is still ideal screen for VR applications due to great black levels and richness of colors, PSVR features RGB AMOLED but perhaps it's too hard to make with higher res.
But seems like LCDs are getting better and better these days, so the IQ gaps is getting smaller and smaller. There are also different LCD technologies to complicate things even more.

My advise, get the most affordable 1440x1600 and wait for the true next gen. 2020 might make all current HMDs obsolete.

Upvote 0

I would get an od+ now with replacement face pad/foam and ride that out for a bit.

Upvote 0
Fix for O+ comfort:

For post 17.1.5. SteamVR blurriness:
the vrcover was purchased teh same week i got the odyssey. And i love it.. Ive been thinking about the head strap. Is it really worth it?

EDIT: I purchased it anyway. thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOL! That will end well.

What's right depends on you.

If you play room scale games at all competitively none of WMR headsets ( Reverb or Odyssey ) will be good enough. The Index is the best option by a margin for room scale.

If you are looking at rig only use and are all about resolution only then get the Reverb.

If you are catching a sale for close to $200 and want something that works for now and will hold you until the next generation get an Odyssey+.

To really make use of the Index or Reverb, you will need a top end PC and GPU. For the Index you will be driving frame rate, for the Reverb resolution. However you will still want a strong PC for an Odyssey + They all have a strong render load for racing sims.

There are many other personal preferences involved. The Index is built solid and is very comfortable out of the box and feels higher end than either the Reverb or Odyssey, but a full system also costs $1000.

I have to say that I have gotten to the point were I greatly prefer running 120 fps over 90 fps despite naysayers it is more comfortable and less fatiguing over longer use and just looks better.

I’ve got an 8700k with 2080 and 16gb RAM, so I think it’s beefy enough to run the reverb and index at decent rates.
It would be purely for sim racing, I get no joy from anything other than racing, so tracking etc doesn’t influence my decision.

Resolution is key for me, but clarity across the widest range is also important, which is what brought the index into play.

Maybe ill find a few more excuses to keep delaying my decision

Upvote 0
I would get an od+ now with replacement face pad/foam and ride that out for a bit.
This is the logical answer in my head, I just have reservations around a ‘older’ headset, will the index or reverb give me the better experience.

I’ll keep an eye out for an o+ and if it’s a good price I think I’ll pull the plug.............maybe ‍

Upvote 0
the vrcover was purchased teh same week i got the odyssey. And i love it.. Ive been thinking about the head strap. Is it really worth it?

EDIT: I purchased it anyway. thanks

Let us know how much of an improvement that makes for you once you've tried it.

I've got the O+ and vr cover already and am still contemplating whether to add one of these head straps to it.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing