Anyone tried NIS with Assetto Corsa?

NVIDIA Image Scaling went open source.

I tired it with my old GTX 1070 expecting "free fps boost."
I changed resolution from native 2560 x 1440 to 1280x720 (recommanded by Geforce Experience) and set
NIS to 50%.

Result: Horrible screen with no fps gain at all. LOL

Edit: After fiddling with it further, I found it actually works. The reason I got no gain on first try was that I disabled many GPU intensive visuals anyway. I notched up PP quality settings, motiion blur, AA, AF etc and the avg fps on exactly same race setup boosted from 69 to 82.

Last edited:
I changed resolution from native 2560 x 1440 to 1280x720 (recommanded by Geforce Experience) and set
NIS to 50%.
Thank you for sharing, could you explain for those of us not sure how exactly to do that, what specific steps are involved? And where it is done.
Thank you for your help.

will this work for Oculus?

Last edited:
I read somewhere that for VR, NIS needs to be enabled from the developer's side. A simple control panel trick will not work for a stereo display. Just like FSR is enabled using openVR in content manager, maybe someday there will be some option built in to use with Oculus Rift mode. SteamVR running alongside has discoureged me from using FSR and OpenVR.

Thank you for sharing, could you explain for those of us not sure how exactly to do that, what specific steps are involved? And where it is done.
Thank you for your help.

will this work for Oculus?

I don't use VR atm so I can give you only general steps.

First you have to download latest Nvidia driver which includes NIS.
After installing the driver, NIS setting will be appeared in Nvidia contol panel. Enable it. Default is 50%.
To activate NIS in-game, you have to lower your resolution "in each game", unless you use Geforce Experience and set NIS things there. (I don't recommend GE bc I found it messes up CM settings.)
I set mine to 1707*960. AFAIK NIS won't work at moniter's native resolution. Be sure to notch up your AA settings otherwise screen will be very ugly. :D

If activated, green "NIS" is showed in game. (top left corner) If NIS is showed in blue color, it means it is not activated. In that case check if you lowered your resolution and run the game in full screen etc...

Here's my settings. I use Ryzen 1600X and GTX 1070 with 1440p G-sync monitor.

CM.jpg

As for VR, this thread might help you.

I read somewhere that for VR, NIS needs to be enabled from the developer's side. A simple control panel trick will not work for a stereo display. Just like FSR is enabled using openVR in content manager, maybe someday there will be some option built in to use with Oculus Rift mode. SteamVR running alongside has discoureged me from using FSR and OpenVR.
According to the combat flysimmers the Fholgers mod does work in WMR. You can find lots of info, even comparement testings at the official Eagle Dynamics DCS and MS FS2020 forums. So maybe also more info for the Oculus systems.

How can I use NIS on triple screen ? Got 3x 27" with 5760x1080 resolution and use nvidia surround. Which resolution I should choose on content manager for assetto ? I already set image scaling on 0.5 at nvidia settings.

How can I use NIS on triple screen ? Got 3x 27" with 5760x1080 resolution and use nvidia surround. Which resolution I should choose on content manager for assetto ? I already set image scaling on 0.5 at nvidia settings.
In nvidia settings you just set the sharpening, the scaling itself is "automatic" - you should be able to choose additional resolutions ingame.
These should be 85%, 77%, 67%, 59% or 50% of your native resolution.

So look if you can choose ingame for example: 4896x918 (85%) and so on....

• Deleted member 197115

Does sharpening work at native resolution?

Does sharpening work at native resolution?
I think so

Here from the official nvidia site:

"6. If you enable the overlay indicator, a “NIS” text label will appear in the upper left corner of the screen. A green text color indicates that NVIDIA Image Scaling is scaling and sharpening the game. If the text is colored blue, then NVIDIA Image Scaling is sharpening but not scaling"

• Deleted member 197115

I think so

Here from the official nvidia site:

"6. If you enable the overlay indicator, a “NIS” text label will appear in the upper left corner of the screen. A green text color indicates that NVIDIA Image Scaling is scaling and sharpening the game. If the text is colored blue, then NVIDIA Image Scaling is sharpening but not scaling"
Works like you say, only tried in FC6 and it looks horrible. LOL. Sharpening is over the top with some flickering.

Works like you say, only tried in FC6 and it looks horrible. LOL. Sharpening is over the top with some flickering.
Just try with the highest possible resolution and within the nvidia driver change the sharpening from 50% default to 0%

This and only that gives me good results.
Everything else is like you said flickering, pixelated or just image quality too bad

Additionally i made the experience it can work diverse on diverse games.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing, what specific results did you obtain?
running original 3440x1440, "downscaled to 85% 2924x1224" i hardly see a visual worsening (and thats good) and gain about 10-20 fps. Tested in some games, not Assetto.

But again very important, at least for my eyes is - reducing the sharpening to 0% Otherwise every single game looks pixelated. I really don`t know what nvidia`s idea was to let the sharpening at 50% default :confused:

• Deleted member 197115

Just try with the highest possible resolution and within the nvidia driver change the sharpening from 50% default to 0%

This and only that gives me good results.
Everything else is like you said flickering, pixelated or just image quality too bad

Additionally i made the experience it can work diverse on diverse games.
I was more interested in sharpening only, not upscaling as my system is more than capable to run at native, with sharoening at 0 obviosly there will be no effect at all.
Seems like FSR sharpenning works better than NIS.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back