Anyone still using TrackIR in 2016?

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone is still using TrackIR, as its been out for awhile. I have been looking into getting TrackIR 5 but it seems that most people recommend it for flight sims however some people use it for racing sims. Is it worth getting? Please let me know if you have any experience with it. I just got triple 27 inch monitors as well.

I don't often reply in forums, but this made me register just to give my two cents. I have a triple screen setup and trackir5. Started with one Dell Ultrawide, then added two smaller wing monitors. First, I cannot race without IR5. After setting up (continually tweeking settings) both game and IR5, I've found that being able to look around is fairly minor when compared to the natural movement that you will develop with time. By that I mean, extreme head movements will produce extreme results. I find that i don't move my head as much as I thought I might, but when attacking tight corners, hairpins, big elevation changes, etc., you might find yourself looking out the side window to place your car better in a corner, or tilting your head to avoid the sun. After some time, all my in-car movements seem as natural as the real thing. I use the cockpit view only and try to sit fairly close to the instrument panel. I see most of the panel (depending on the car) and just look down if needed. I also run a PCars dash, so I can have two sets of info at my disposal.
Plenty of adjustment, be patient (as with all things), try many different settings and fov's, you will find something that works. 1:1, slow setting, nothing radical, you'll find yourself moving your head naturally. As for using your eyes, again, with time, you'll get comfortable enough to run the 'Ring and really see what the fuss is all about!
A seat that's the proper height in relation to your screen will make the experience even better. I was using a typical office chair and found that in-game I couldn't get low enough. Constantly re-centering
and adjusting the car's seat as well as my chair took away from the immersion. Picked up a cheap gaming seat, a full 3"-4" lower, and, WOW, everything changed. Views are much more realistic, better placement in the cockpit, sightlines are what they should be. Keep your yaw and pitch, some world movement and g-effects if you wish, but no side to side (or at a minimum, x,y axis i believe), and the constant readjustment will go away. Just an occasional re-center from time to time (straights only,please) and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
Fighting with the thought of the Rift, but this does quite well and i can see all external controls. Think I'd rather save up for a RaceCube and make myself violently ill;)

Upvote 0
Having used FreeTrack with great pleasure for a few years, I now use an Oculus Rift. The immersion is just crazy: I feel I am on the track. The arms and hands in AC on the wheel feel like they are mine, pretty bizarre. Looking beside or even behind you is awesome. Downside of current VR: the resolution is low, seeing in the distance is difficult. But I'm afraid I won't be using FreeTrack anymore :geek:...

Upvote 0
I am really interested in trackir. I haven't really looked into it before seeing this post. Trackir has been around for years but I'm only now finding out about it.

I just have a few questions about it if anyone can answer, I'd really appreciate it.

1. I am currently using a 34 inch 21:9 monitor for gaming. Will I benifit more using trackir on this size of a monitor?

2. Is Automobilista & RFactor 2 compatible with trackir? On their website it only says rFactor. This should be the same for AMS and rFactor 2?

3. Do you think (possibly know) if trackir will be around for future games? Even though VR is here to stay... I would like to see trackir as a popular alternative solution to VR. Trackir is more "casual" and more cheaper than VR.

4. Is it really easy to setup. Plug n play? Is it difficult to setup on a monitor with thin bezels?

I'd perfer Trackir 5 with the proclip than VR (until i am completely convinced). I've upgraded my gpu to sapphire 380x recently in May (couldn't wait around for rx 480 and 380x was on sale). I have an i5 4440 cpu. And i only scored a 8862 on Steam VR test (test says my pc ain't ready for VR). My system right now is perfect for 1080p gaming max settings @75fps. I'm perfectly fine with what I have for a good while. VR means an upgrade plus the cost of the VR headset. I understand Trackir will get me close to VR with only the purchase of trackir and WITHOUT upgrading my system. I know I have more questions but I'm at work and can't think of them right now lol

Upvote 0
1) You'll benefit because you can't see out your side windows right now (unless you use glance).
2) I don't know. In theory, since TrackIR is compatible with rF1, then that plugin should work for Automobilista.
3) Who knows the future?
4) Easy to set up (it will work), harder to config to match your desires.

At the moment, VR doesn't have the resolution that your monitor has. On the other hand, the head movement for TrackIR is less satisfying because you turn your head while still focusing in front of you.

Upvote 0
Voted 'Yes'; however I use TrackHat which uses the OpenTrack software, and is much cheaper than TrackIR [in the UK].

Use this with a 34" 21:9 monitor also, and it's pretty good. With Assetto Corsa I use 1:1 tracking and it feels very natural. R3E, rF2 and AMS, I use the same settings as Elite Dangerous [ & flight sims in general]. Though, with these it doesn't work quite as well as in Assetto Corsa, movement seams more limited.

Haven't used Project Cars in some time. The VR update broke support for TrackIR, requiring a lot of tweaking by the user to get it running correctly. Open Track is even worse. Don't know if it's been fixed with later updates.

Was so hyped about VR, but decided to give the first gen consumer products a miss. Hopefully the next gen will be higher res, 4K split over two screens [1920x2160 per eye] would be nice :)

Upvote 0
Glad I found this thread.

I should get mine on Monday.
I got tired of pressing the look left or right button and "somehow" ;) end up against the guardrail.
Also, this should allow me to look further up the track in corners - I hope.
I saw alot of youtubers using it. I hope the fov is changeable. I see many users using the identical fov (seeing most -if not all- of the wheel inside the car). My fov starts with the top of a car's dashboard.

It had better be worth it. :cautious:

Upvote 0
FOV is changeable in just about all current sims, plus you can turn the wheel off so you only see the instruments. Plus, most will also allow you to fine tune your x,y,z position within the car. So if you want to be closer to the dash, you can be...

Been using various types of head tracking for about 8 months, don't think I could go back to using keys to looking around. I feels quite natural to use when set up correctly. Confident you'll enjoy using it :)

Upvote 0
Placed my order this morning. Should arrive at my door by Wednesday!!! After conducting a ton of research and watching youtube videos, I am very excited to get my hands on the Trackir 5. I ordered mine with the pro clip. I think the Trackir 5 will be exactly what I need to complete my rig. Still can't believe I found out about Trackir so damn late! The best part is it supports ALL my PC racing sims in my Steam library & I don't need to upgrade my PC. I hope. Trackir can stay alive with VR in the future as a cost effective and personal preference option.

Upvote 0
Single 24" monitor here, and a TrackIR fan with the F1 series.
To me it's not just about being able to look into the mirrors... It's also about looking naturally left or right when I think there's someone right by me. Beats the proximity arrows (which I disabled) any day.
Also, it helps reproduce the head tilt you naturally have in medium / high speed corners.
It doesn't change much maybe. But it adds enough immersion that I wouldn't drive without it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay...whew! I was so intent on testing this thing, I missed the club race I was practicing for. :(

Set up was confusing as hell. There really isn't much for directions.
I was using the pro attachment, but the IR software was in Hat mode. Everytime. I looked left, my video would look down. If I looked right, my video would turn upside down lolololol
Took me awhile, but once I got it on the proper mode and centered......
****EDIT***
anybody willing to get on RD Teamspeak and help me set up the sensitivity?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Single 24" monitor here, and a TrackIR fan with the F1 series.
To me it's not just about being able to look into the mirrors... It's also about looking naturally left or right when I think there's someone right by me. Beats the proximity arrows (which I disabled) any day.
Also, it helps reproduce the head tilt you naturally have in medium / high speed corners.
It doesn't change much many. But it adds enough immersion that I wouldn't drive without it.

Awesome! I've been hiding under a rock when it comes to F1 for PC.
I bought F1 2013 Classic, yesterday, after I discovered
a) F1 games don't have ffb anymore (running over curbs....) :thumbsdown:
b) Thrustmaster doesn't support F1 PC series ffb anyway.:thumbsdown:
All this time, I boycotted this game and complained about the ffb.....NO WONDER! :roflmao:

Don't I feel silly. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Okay...whew! I was so intent on testing this thing, I missed the club race I was practicing for. :(

Set up was confusing as hell. There really isn't much for directions.
I was using the pro attachment, but the IR software was in Hat mode. Everytime. I looked left, my video would look down. If I looked right, my video would turn upside down lolololol
Took me awhile, but once I got it on the proper mode and centered......
****EDIT***
anybody willing to get on RD Teamspeak and help me set up the sensitivity?

Follow the guide in the video below. He explains the setup pretty well. I'm still waiting for my TrackIR 5 to come in the mail. But you can try setting yours up by following the video guide. I plan on using said video myself once my TrackIR has shipped!
Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone is still using TrackIR, as its been out for awhile. I have been looking into getting TrackIR 5 but it seems that most people recommend it for flight sims however some people use it for racing sims. Is it worth getting? Please let me know if you have any experience with it. I just got triple 27 inch monitors as well.

Once tuned to my natural head (slowed down slight movements while looking straight) and adjusted max boundaries and movement speeds on up/down and side to side... I never want to race without it!!! Feels natural because I can check gauges and mirrors on my 3 - 27" setup. Even guest drivers are comfortable with it without problem at these settings.

Upvote 0
Still using it but only with flight sims. During races, buttons for looking left and right are much better controlable. In most games i use the option to look into the corner.

Upvote 0
Well, if you feel like using Trackir and looking left/right feels unnatural, then IMO, I don't think you have it set up correctly.

I had troubles getting it to feel natural in R3E. But in AMS and Assetto Corsa, it just felt so natural and very comfortable. I was even getting soar neck pain when playing R3E. Recently, I made a few tweaks nothing major, and now it's working just as good with my other games. I CANNOT RACE WITHOUT IT! At least until VR is in reach of everyones budget, resolution improves and build quality is improved too.

I just bought myself an action camera. I've been testing it out. Using Trackir with an action camera strapped to your head will make you really appreciate and understand what Trackir w/ sim racing is so about! It looks so sick!!!!I'm gonna post a video soon.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 219 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 161 7.8%
  • < 5 years