PC1 Anyone signed up to Project CARS?

As the topic title says it all really.

I have (as a Team Member - £22) so get new builds every Monday.

Been browsing the forums tonight and there is a helluva lot of work going on by all the behind the scenes folks and some of the imagery they are posting on their WIP stuff is amazing.

New build on Monday is bringing a WIP kart and fictional track and the Ariel Atom too. Also have Bathurst in the works, with Gumpert Apollo Sport and Caterham Seven Extralight T500.

Some content has fictional names (until the licensing has been sorted) so we have Connecticut Hills (Watkins Glen), Bologna (Imola), Aussie Hill (Bathurst), Nuke (Ariel Atom) to name but a few.

I was a little wary about signing up initially but am so glad I did now.

;-)

t's very hard to judge the driving model because there's so many other defects to focus on, including appalling downshifting, but I found it nearly impossible to crash, my lifeless brakes always seemed to pull me up in the nick of time, but try that with FVA's 458, LOL.
CARS is a pre-alpha WIP, little wonder to why FVA is the better game ;)

Perhaps it would be better for you to disucss all of CARS shortcomings with Ian Bell and the rest of the SMS team on the WMD forums.

Actually, just had another go with b144, and this is WORSE than Shift2, much worse, at least S2U had some cars that were driveable/finished, this has none, plus the wheel inputs are gross and introduce huge bodyroll and exaggerated turning.
The FFB is weak at best, disconnected during many corners and goes light at bathurst.
As I said, before, this doesn't even come close to the worst sim.
Again, it's a pre-alpha, the very start of development, so it would be silly to expect polished, finished physics at this stage, even on one single car. I do agree that it's not complete, but I wasn't expecting any different. Not to mention that I've never experienced any of the issues you speak of.

So I go there and say, "yo SMS, can you make this feel more like GTR EVO/FVA", and you rock up and say, "but goddamn it, it already feels like it".....is that the caper you had in mind, lol...?
I just got off GTR evo and the V8 supacar mod....now that's what I call a sim.....heavy FFB at the right times, incredible steering precision, and very lively under brakes and acceleration if you push hard.

To be honest, if you really have to tweak the settings THAT much then there is something wrong.

I tried this also, tweaking the settings,. When you go to calibration it asks you to simply turn the wheel 90 degrees, whilst also asking you to turn the wheel the full zone it can turn! I mean what are you supposed to do. It doesn't tell you which way to turn it either left or right, its awful really.

I actually think the FFB effects are good, the kerbs are good as is the reaction to bumps. My only issue is with the lack of steering feel and directional stability. It feels like you should be playing the game with a gamepad, and has done ever since it was released.

Wh? Because it was DESIGNED to be used with a gamepad, and until they can stop this or program it out, it will never feel like a real sim, as right now you do not simulate anything, all you do is disregard what you have been doing for years in sims and drive to what the game will let you do. Just like you do in GT5, Dirt series and Shift 2 or Unleashed, (which was an appliing game by the way, so bad even I took it back)

In NO way, is that a simulation. Yet.

Hmm. No probs calibrating my g25. Turn fully both ways and click next. Turn to 90 degrees and click next while holding it there. Job done. Set steering ratios in the individual car setup and always have a 1:1 wheel in the cockpit.

Build 149 is Deffo looking more sim like.

To be honest, if you really have to tweak the settings THAT much then there is something wrong.

Er, no... I might be sounding like a broken record here, but it's in pre-alpha. We are right in the midst of the devs getting the basics down... nothing is final yet, and won't be for some time.

I tried this also, tweaking the settings,. When you go to calibration it asks you to simply turn the wheel 90 degrees, whilst also asking you to turn the wheel the full zone it can turn! I mean what are you supposed to do. It doesn't tell you which way to turn it either left or right, its awful really.

In my experience, You can turn it either way and it will have the same effect. When I'm calibrating my controller, I do the following:
-I know that I have my G25 set to 540 degrees of rotation.
-I turn my wheel in the calibration menu fully left (or fully right - it doesn't matter which). As long as I reach 100%, I'm good.
-When it asks me to turn the wheel 90 degrees, I turn my wheel until the value on the screen changes to 540 degrees. I then hold it in that position and confirm.
And there we are, I'm ready to go. just replace "540" with whatever degrees of rotation your wheel has or is set to.

I recall you saying that you're a junior member, Rob. That must mean that your current build is 144... trust me, the calibration and controller setup in 149 is much simpler. For me, anyway.

Oh, and David/Rob - try setting your world movement very low, or to zero. I've read that that should get rid of the "swaying" if you're experiencing that.

Perhaps it would be better for you to disucss all of CARS shortcomings with Ian Bell and the rest of the SMS team on the WMD forums.

It's best to keep your head down on the WMD forums. A tiny little bit of criticism and you find yourself getting lambasted by Bell or one of his moderators and then you might find yourself dismissed. No they don't like it at all so keep your thoughts to yourself like most of the junior or team members do for fear of being booted out.

Signed up to this on the weekend. I wouldn't describe the handling/physics as simulation but it certainly feels better than Shift2 ever did. Graphically I thought it would look better to be honest going by screenshots and videos I had seen, doesn't run all that well for me either but these are all things that will improve over time I'm sure. pCARS certainly has potential, a lot of work needs doing though.

i have signed up to rfactor2 and project cars betas and i personally think project cars shows more potential at this early stage, i like the weekly updates just to see how things are progressing, looks really promising in my opinion, , no doubt i will buy both though, i think we are going to have 2 great titles on release.

So I go there and say, "yo SMS, can you make this feel more like GTR EVO/FVA", and you rock up and say, "but goddamn it, it already feels like it".....is that the caper you had in mind, lol...?
Well I don't think they're going to take my word over yours to be honest. ;)

Rather than ignore you because your opinion is different, as long as you keep your issue reporting civil, they will help you out. That's the way I've seen it happen - I've read the posts of some of the people who got banned, and they were being very rude about it. If you just tone down what you're saying and word your concerns so that they aren't inflammatory, the devs won't bite.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here David. I'm not a pCARS fanboy (I agree with you concerning GTR Evo), nor do I consider myself some valiant defender of the game and the devs. These are my honest words. The feeling I get when driving pCARS is that there are echoes of other sims I have played - it has some way to go (and let's be honest here, why wouldn't it?) but to write it off as having "no sim model in sight" when there's the possibility that you may not have configured the controls right doesn't really add up to me. Play around with your settings - experiment! If you have already, then I'm not sure what's causing these issues for you... :confused:

What's causing me these issues is having played GTR evo/FVA/GSC/rf2/iceracing, and as much as I dislike iceracing, I'd take that anyday over this.
I've already fiddled with many settings, and I don't like what I'm feeling, including all the gross movements these cars make, plus the lifeless brakes and TC grip levels with TC off.

I also can't help but feel that SMS try and entertain you every meter you drive, so there's always some form of car behavior to contend with, whereas the best sims leave you alone, and wait till you defy reality before they introduce any intense car behavior.

Now I realize the game isn't finished, but this why I find their strategy of numerous unfinished cars and tracks as odd, especially as many sim players would prefer to sample a car with some precision, but we can't as they're too busy devoting all their time to numerous cars and tracks.

Another thing, with my DFGT, my best time at Brno F3000 RACE07 was something like a 1min47.7, and I could never use dracer set ups, but with G27, I did a 1min 45.6 compared to his claim of 1min44.9.....now, I achieved that time within 30 laps, so who knows what will happen if I do another 100 or more, but the point is, the faster you go in all the sims I mentioned the better the FFB, and you become even more aware of how precise the game and wheel are, so there's a relationship between a decent wheel and sim at speed, but pcars sucks as the speed builds and doesn't do anything except allow for crazy driving.

After observing that the game is no longer F2P, I am seriously considering getting a Junior membership.

The question is, should I?

I have been a sim racer for many years, and own rF1, rF2, RBR, GPL, GTL and various NASCAR sims. Will this (eventually) compare to some of these great names? Or will it just be NFS Shift 3?

Please help me in resolving this matter.

Cheers,
Chris

It very difficult to judge pCARS at the moment, coding simulation physics and ffb is really a "black art" I imagine but I think they are heading in the right direction.

The current build is very enjoyable and some of the cars feel great, the DTM Audi and Formula A in particular. It's definately starting to feel more sim-like where care is needed applying brake and power. There are still issues with dreadzone, sway and center spring effects but I'm hoping it will all improve with time. As a junior or team member it's well worth trying in my opinion.

I finally got it! :D

I've been playing a bit yesterday and today, seems pretty good to me, there's some obvious issues, but nothing that seems blatantly incorrect. I've only played one build so I can't speak on the direction but so far it seems unfinished...which is how it should be to me.

Everyone is talking about FFB and steering input but there's so many things that still need work I don't think it should be judged so negatively.

The steering is...odd...to say the least (I'm using a 360 pad right now) but there's not even any curbs on loire (la sarthe) and half the menu is "coming soon". The collisions are sort of a joke and you can drive right off the track and fall endlessly on most of the maps.

These are all things that will improve though, and I'm having a blast driving a touring car around bathurst, an 80's f1 car around imola, a 70's f1 around watkins glen, and a prototype lms car around la sarthe. In one game. The graphics are brilliant already, and I'm sure they'll only improve. as will the rest of the game.

This has been a project I've followed with interest for a long time, and I'm happy to finally be a part of it, just keep in mind, it's no where near finished. so go ahead and join up and help influence the direction of the game!

I am Full Menber now (upgrade 20€ extra ) It is looking awesome and its getting better and better in Physics and FFB . Very promising game . They are very far in development because of many games before like Shift , Shift 2 and Ferrari (will be release in spring,summer 2012. They have all tracks and cars from previous games in stock so they can finishing the Sim very soon ,but I don't know it they have the rights (EA owns shift franchise etc. )

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back