Anyone pay for mods from SIM DREAM STORE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of cars on their site. Are these mods just badly converted mods or are they good quality. I dont mind paying for a mod if its good quality but im not paying for a conversion of someone elses cars. Anyone? I see a few cars on there that would be great for some career modes.

They're poor in all areas, just badly converted Forza models. That would be fine if they were free, but...

Avoid.

They're poor in all areas, just badly converted Forza models. That would be fine if they were free, but...

Avoid.

Avoid. Illegal conversions from Forza & a like.
How they haven't revieved a DMCA claim yet is beyond my comprehension.

Ahh ok thanks guys. I had my doubts thats why I asked. Thanks for the heads up. Considering those facts, the prices the charge are outrageous haha..

Sadly, I was fooled by their fancy talk and nice pictures on the website last night. Paid 29.99€ for their Newcomer Bundle which has all the cars "they have made" for Assetto Corsa, including:

BMW M6 G-Power Hurricane RR
Hamann 430 Coupe
Gemballa Mirage GT
Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
Hyundai Veloster Turbo R
Nissan NISMO R34 Skyline GT-R JGTC
Mercedes-Benz SLR 722 Edition
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670-4 Super Veloce
Jaguar XKR-S
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series

...and this is what I got from just one nights experience without digging any deeper:
* Mirror resolutions are Commodore 64 era, which absolutely kills the cockpit view.

* Not compatible with AC Dashboard app.

* Incorrect tech specs in BMW, Mustang, Gemballa, Hamann, both Lamborghinis and Mercedes', Veloster, Jaguar(those two are pretty close though) and the GT-R JGTC. So yes, that's ALL CARS with incorrect specs.

* What struck me the most, is that Hamann, Gemballa, both Lambos, and the GT-R JGTC all have the same identical tech specs, just copied and pasted.

* I also found it funny, that with the BMW the description says 800 HP and right next to it on the Tech Specs it says 394 HP. Laughable.

* Mustang's transmission is completely wrong as it doesn't work with H-shifter in game, but only with paddles which isn't even an option in the real life car.

That's a part of reclamation & refund e-mail I sent them this morning, we'll see if I get any response.

So yeah, I'd say AVOID. :D

All this is Kunos fault.
Following the example of some other studios that are producing games heavily based on mods, Kunos also should have a EULA stating that is strictly forbidden to sell mods or any other game content, leaving only the door open for donations.
At this point AC is a chaos where some illuminated minds are trying to make some profit. Let's see where this will end.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, they're website doesn't immediately betray their shadiness. A few clicks reveal very little substance, but their homepage appears professional enough to confuse. Casual racers, who've perhaps purchased since the RC went live, or will purchase the final release, and may not be familiar with ripped content are most at risk. Honestly, I found the site last week, and was initially quite excited. Thankfully, the $50 cost of entry demanded critical evaluation, and I quickly realized something was amiss. The 'modders' anonymity, coupled with the complete absence of WIP screenshots, documentation, or background information aroused my skepticism, and upon realizing that I'd never read about the group on RD, VirtualR or Bsim etc., essentially confirmed it.

Had they offered a pack of GT cars, however, I'm not sure impulsiveness would have left any room for skepticism, and I fear my wallet would have been $50 lighter, with the above realizations arriving too late.

Finally, I wonder who is actually behind Sim Dreams, whether they're making much money, and how difficult it will be to shut them down.

Henk

^ Yep that's me. I moved to PC racing a mere month ago from X360/Forza and have had Assetto Corsa since the RC release. Coming from consoles where modding is virtually non-existent, I didn't even consider the possibility that it could be stolen or ripped. Lesson learned!

My order has an ID number #6738 in their system, but whether that's a running number or random there's really no way of telling except by making another purchase and seeing if that ID is slightly bigger, then I guess it would be safe to assume that it's a running number. If it is, then with say 10€ average purchase it would total to over 67000€ which obviously is big money. That's all speculation though, and personally I'm not going endorse them any more to find out.

In the Paypal receipt they have a customer service number pointing to Romania, but other than that there's no additional info.

All this is Kunos fault.
Following the example of some other studios that are producing games heavily based on mods, Kunos also should have a EULA stating that is strictly forbidden to sell mods or any other game content, leaving only the door open for donations.
At this point AC is a chaos where some illuminated minds are trying to make some profit. Let's see where this will end.

sadly kunos ain't big enough to produce enough content to exclude modding I think...

Sooner or later this will come back to Sim Dream. Probably when Turn 10's legal team gets ahold of it (which they may have already, and could be building bulletproof case) and they will be tracked down and sued beyond belief. They might be making loads of money off what is essentially a scam now, but if it comes back to them they will be much worse off than when they started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 131 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%