Anyone here got the recent OSW SW7C+, SW10C+, SW12C+ ?

Cosimo

Premium
These motors are rated at 7/10/12Nm peak torque. I'm wondering if that's too little, or where's the sweet spot. If you got one of those, leave a comment below. Thanks,

New issue, this time with the mount. Can confirm there is a small amount of play with the L shape bracket after bolting to a simlab gt1 Evo. Very frustrating, will be looking for an alternative way to mount to the 80/20 so it's rock solid.

Upvote 0
Any idea how to trick SW7C to have FFB in F1 2018 - it works and it is seen in cotrollers section, but no FFB ingame.

Did you e-mail Ollie ?
When I had a problem with Rf2 he got back to me right away (was not needed thx to Bruce440)...
F1 2018 might not be supprted yet, it is not in the list of supported sims....

Upvote 0
Did you e-mail Ollie ?
When I had a problem with Rf2 he got back to me right away (was not needed thx to Bruce440)...
F1 2018 might not be supprted yet, it is not in the list of supported sims....
Yes, I know it is not supported, thats why I don`t ask Ollie... but as Dirt Rally is Coddie game, that means it is not impossible... I gotta test F1 2017, because in 2018 they changed a bit output telemetry etc.

Upvote 0
Hi everybody. i have buy the 10 nm and is very impresionat the ffb. But i have used rf2 and in the fast curve when i use the simulator the ffb is not do it . The inertia efect do it okk, when i am in the piano the ffb do it but in the road the ffb not do it and all efect that i mentioned do it.

Porche rsr is the car and i test it in nola and anither ccircuit.All parametres off the controller ini is cheked and i do new perfil to to see if i solucionated and nothing is corrected.

Any suggestion??

Upvote 0
@Vranq
The review is a little odd in some regards.

I have not experienced any oscillations at high speed, not even a hint. Thing is I haven’t heard of any one else with this problem.

The argument that the unit is not strong enough when compared to 20 Nm units is weird and an open door. Obviously people buy this light compact unit because they (or the rig) can’t handle a 30 pound behemoth. Would be more appropiate to compare the unit (whuch happens to be dd) to a similarly strenght/priced unit like the CSW (which happens to be belt driven).

He is right with regards to software distribution and the heat generated. “Supposedly” these are “industrial” motors that can handle this heat, I don’t know anything about it. That the software is simple does not bother me, but it might be a problem for those who like to fiddle with parameters for hours.

@txinas

Have you followed the instructions of Bruce440 with regards to the setup for rf2 (json file etc) ?
I did and the unit works fantastic with rf2.

Upvote 0
A first review of the SW7C+

Hmm... it's not exactly a glowing review :unsure: It would be interesting to hear the opinions of someone used to a belt-drive wheel rather than a large Midge. I'd like to replace my T500RS with a small DD wheel that I could still mount on my Wheelstand Pro, but the SW7C+ sounds a bit glitchy still :(

Upvote 0
The review seems to be made for people who consider ditching their 20Nm OSW for this small SW7, which is: nobody. Obviously these units are aimed at G27 or TM owners who are considering upgrading to a CSW 2.5 or this small DD.

My advice for what it’s worth (not much): wait a few months (till the software is on the website), then reconsider. Forget about the SW 7, consider 10 or 12 (not+).
BTW I got the 10+ and am very happy with it. Great with rf2 and Sebring.

Upvote 0
loQUOTE="Edr, post: 2864983, member: 498857"]@Vranq
The review is a little odd in some regards.

I have not experienced any oscillations at high speed, not even a hint. Thing is I haven’t heard of any one else with this problem.

The argument that the unit is not strong enough when compared to 20 Nm units is weird and an open door. Obviously people buy this light compact unit because they (or the rig) can’t handle a 30 pound behemoth. Would be more appropiate to compare the unit (whuch happens to be dd) to a similarly strenght/priced unit like the CSW (which happens to be belt driven).

He is right with regards to software distribution and the heat generated. “Supposedly” these are “industrial” motors that can handle this heat, I don’t know anything about it. That the software is simple does not bother me, but it might be a problem for those who like to fiddle with parameters for hours.

@txinas

Have you followed the instructions of Bruce440 with regards to the setup for rf2 (json file etc) ?
I did and the unit works fantastic with rf2.[/QUOTE]

Yes but is not soluzionated.

Upvote 0
To everybody thinking that these 7Nm wheels are too weak, as a recent customer of a 20Nm DD system, upgraded from a T500, I would like to say:

I knew before buying the 20Nm DD system that 20Nm would be too strong for me.

Now that I actually tried 20Nm I can confirm it is way too strong. I mainly do endurance racing. I can't see myself doing 2-3 hour stints at 100%, not even 50%. I currently use the system at about 1/4th of its max current/power, so about 3Nm of holding torque and 6Nm peak. I tried 35% too with 3.5/7Nm peak power, so roughly equivalent to a 7Nm Simplicity wheel at least in nominal torque values, and I believe it's adequate power.

If I didn't have my DD system, I would probably choose the 10Nm+ or 12Nm+ versions, as 7Nm is just enough, without any headroom. Maybe still good for most people I guess?

With regards to general motor quality, max torque and ffb detail, I can't say anything about the Simplicity ones. The current DD I own does not get hot at 25/30% of current, which makes me really happy. Having strong and yet very detailed force feedback with none of that belt drive graininess is just great. I bet these compact wheels have the same properties.

Any questions, let me know.

Upvote 0
What we need is a proper comparison between a 130st and these 80st compact units for quality of force feedback.

The Sim Racing Paddock review was ok and touched on pretty much all the important stuff. I'm not sure what his issue with the oscillation was as it's been fixed with firmware updates for the supported titles. I still get oscillation in unsupported titles like spintires and wreckfest but it's gone in AC, ACC and Dirt Rally. It's been a while since i watched it but i feel like he focused on the negatives rather than comparing it to other DD offerings.

Key question, what ffb are we missing out on with an 80st that you get in a 130st, and is it worth the middle ground price point?

As for the overheating, i guess that's gonna be inevitable with a 7nm as that seems to be the target strength level for DD. I have a 10nm and i dial it back to 8nm, it gets slightly warm for normal racing and warmer but not quite hot when doing crazy stuff like drifting, so i think that's good headroom as it survives long sessions. In this regard i think a sw10 or sw12 is a great compromise for power and headroom, the sw7 obviously you will have issues unless you're willing to drop it to 5nm or so at which point you're in T300/T500 and CSL elite territory.

Also on the firmware Ollie has said an update is coming before December that will include profiles.

Upvote 0
If only that 10nm non-plus had a 10k instead of 5k PPR encoder. I think it would be the best compromize between performance and price.

Speaking about oscillations in the 7nm video review, you can have oscillations even with the small and large mige motors, heck, even with lenze and kollmorgen motors.

Oscillation is down to firmware and software tuning. Specifically the 3 peaking and notch filters: NFF - Centre Frequency (Hz), NFA - Attenuation (dB), NFQ - Q-Factor (Quality Factor).

If any one here has access to the iRacing forums, they'll see just how much these settings are discussed and tested in the iRacing forums as the peaking/notch filters are quite important.

On that video reviewer's (William Marsh) website, I checked his recommended OSW settings and he has all 3 peak/notch filters set to 0 which is definitely a no, no.

The following Granity and Simucube settings were generally regarded as the best overall "plug n play" peak & notch settings around 2 years ago. With firmware updates, the optimum values have changed over the years and I'm not sure what they are now but these are still way better than having them all set to 0/disabled (I recently tested them VS all 0s):

Large Mige
- NFF: 7.0 Hz
- NFA: -3.3 dB
- NFQ: 1.0

Small Mige
- NFF: 2.5 Hz
- NFA: -2.3 dB
- NFQ: 0.5

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey compact series owners there's been a december firmware update out for a few weeks now for the sw10c, i've only just loaded it up and noticed the changes to software. Unfortunately these change come with no explanation as to what they do, can anyone chime in if they know what the following does?

Advanced Settings:
Controller:
Mode 0 - 9 (default 5)
Bandwidth 0.1 - 1.0 (default 0.5)

Weighted Center:
Range 0deg - 90 deg (default 45)
Gain 0 - 20 (default 10)

i've asked Ollie for an explanation and i will try and do my own research, but hopefully someone can chime in and shine some light.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. Simplicity 10C+
I'm running the new firmware but haven't had a chance to dig in and tinker/test.
Please let us/me know what you find out.
It feels different, and overall I'd say a little more detailed.
Like you, I'd like to know more about how to better configure to suit my tastes.
It does feel great though, so I guess I'm not complaining.

Upvote 0
My concern is what if Simplicity will stop updating the software maybe in a few years. I would be much more convinced and would have most likely already bought the 10+ or 12+ if the software would be open source like Simucube.

Also i am not a friend of scheduled personal telephone sessions for installing the software for which I would have to make an appointment. I'm also not very good at speaking English, i prefer writing.

For this reasons i will probably buy SimuCube in January.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back