Anyone experiencing knee pain while Sim Racing.

I gave up golf because of damaged Rotator cuff and frozen shoulder syndrome. Who woulda thought I'd have knee issues from sim racing!? :roflmao::roflmao:

After 10 minutes, my knee caps feel like they're going to pop off - like a clamp is being tightened around both knees........among other less flattering descriptions. The pain is excruciating.
Needed to find out why.......... I came across a paper written by a physician. Of all things...He was describing injuries suffered by a sim racing patient.

Sometimes, you can have pain in one or both knees. It's called...........IT band syndrome
http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/tight-it-band-3-simple-exercises-to-fix-it-now
FYI

I still stand by my previous opinion here in this thread.

Racing in a desk chair will cause back and knee pain even in healthy people. Even racing bucket seats have the back angle too tight, although the knee angle is much better than the desk chair.

Having a low/laid back chair and a pedal position that allows a wide knee angle solved all my problems. Keep in mind this is with an herniated disc and congenital bad knees which all hurt badly after 30 minutes. Now I can do 4 or 5 hours.

po%C3%A4ng-childrens-armchair-birch-veneer-alm%C3%A5s-natural__0255400_pe399502_s4.jpg

Props for Ikea for solving my problems and keeping my wallet healthy lol

edit: A fat pillow between the seat and the back rest makes it even better.

Last edited:
Wouldn't know where to begin, at the top with Titanium wire holding the 9 fractures together in my head, my ingrowing toe nail or all points in between, 2 shot knees, waiting for new right hip, degenerative disc disorder around the back, a right shoulder that dislikes its location, riddled in Arthritis etc etc etc
Limited to short racing these days, 40 mins on Sundays kills me.
Oh the joys of Motorcycling! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I myself have knee and shoulder issues. I got my knee injury from a motorcycle accident. I clipped the back of a pickup truck who had a piece of railway track welding on as a bumper which eventually left mean lying in a field with my foot on my belly. I just thought my boot come off. But my foot was still in it. Upon pushing away I realised this isn't good. The driver and his mate were very apologetic but one had to walk away to be sick, the sound of somebody vomiting is very distinctive. When the air ambulance arrived I straightened examined my leg and began looking around for my knee cap. Which within a few minutes they realised it was at the back of my knee. Needless to say after nearly 7 hours of surgery to rebuild my knee I received 9 bolts and 64 stitches. About 22 years ago I broke one of these bolts in a mountain bike accident which I have just recently had that broken pin removed.
When I broke that bolt I was doing some senior downhill mountain biking in Wales when I spectator walked out onto the course and I had to swerve to avoid that dumb son of a b**** and unfortunately I rugby tackled a tree with my right shoulder at something like 40 miles an hour. My shoulder was smashed to pieces, breaking my collarbone which punctured my lung, brokeing 3 ribs one of which 3 x etc To get my shoulder in the state it is in today I've been under 7 separate surgeries over the years. But has left me in discomfort ever since.

So yes I do have knee discomfort but nothing I can't cope with. The shoulder is my issue, with bouts of pain for no apparent reason, which makes it that I cannot drive or racer at times but the pain is always present but I can't myself lucky as I still got my arm.

So to anybody it's got discomfort of any kind you've got my sympathies as it makes it very difficult to concentrate on anything you do, including sim racing. So to the question does simracing give me discomfort I'm afraid absobloodylutely.

Last edited:
My knees aren't great but nothing as bad as some of the stories told here in this thread. I run a two pedal set up in my 8020 rig. I have them individually mounted - inverted - and at the same width as my hips so I don't have to angle my legs at all. I can race for hours in this position with zero knee pain.

And, no... I do not heel toe. ;)

I have somewhat dodgy knees myself. The single biggest thing that helped greatly reduce issues for me was building myself up and getting properly fit eight years ago. I suppose the extra strength and muscle around the knee area helps make up for the damaged ligaments.

When I added a brake mod to my pedals and switched to a racing seat I did get some pain initially due to my left leg being at a slight angle. It seems my body adapted though as I no longer get any pain while racing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back