Anyone a rift?

Sorry, oc, forgot to mention that ;)
I guess it will be at local retailers (Media Markt :roflmao:) in summer for cheap 799 Euro :laugh::sick:
I am really not ready to pay that price atm. Maybe I'll wait till they put it on sale in 2 years before Rift 2 is released...if Zuckerberg didnt sell the company by then :roflmao:

its bs the 3770k will be fine

that compatibility checker is garbage, it says my system isnt supported because of my usb 3 ports. presumably it has to be intel usb3.0 or it says go away, ignore

edit: anyone know if any sim devs said they got one of the early cv1's? if not they wont be able to start working on support until march 28 :( : https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...luckey_founder_of_oculus_and_designer/cyownvi

Last edited:
Pre-ordered mine but frankly, not too happy with the 742 EUR that costs for us Europeans and in general for the relatively high price. Hopefully this will not drive people away as we need big install base if VR is to succeed. Looking at the outrage on the internet, HTC/Steam are pretty much put in the corner. They cannot release with a higher price after the negative press Oculus is getting. ..time will tell I guess.

Was planning on getting both but at this stage, will stick to one VR set for the time being.

Having said all that, I still cannot wait for racing in VR and very excited for when CV1 arrives at my doorstep :D

Pre-ordered mine but frankly, not too happy with the 742 EUR that costs for us Europeans and in general for the relatively high price. Hopefully this will not drive people away as we need big install base if VR is to succeed. Looking at the outrage on the internet, HTC/Steam are pretty much put in the corner. They cannot release with a higher price after the negative press Oculus is getting. ..time will tell I guess.

Was planning on getting both but at this stage, will stick to one VR set for the time being.

Having said all that, I still cannot wait for racing in VR and very excited for when CV1 arrives at my doorstep :D
Nice, what is your shipping date?
Would be awesome to get some feedback from someone here!
Maybe you could persuade me if it is awesome ;) Cause, I could afford it but price pisses me off too much atm:D
I read from some people that looking a bit farther away in a racing sim VR results in a pixel mess :cool: And that with a DK 2 :confused:
ANYONE here that could confirm that?

...CV1 has not improved much over dk2 regarding resolution :speechless:
...but Palmer said it's soo much better :D hope he is not talking **** again :cautious:

Their compatibility check software is... surprising. I have an AMD FX8150 that is, according to benchmarks, more powerful than the recommended i5-4590 but it still tells me my CPU does not meet the requirements. Of course, I am aware that some drivers could take advantage of Intel specific technologies which might impact the performance but it still looks a bit shady to me, I have the feeling they are promoting Intel rather than providing accurate information.

Their compatibility check software is... surprising. I have an AMD FX8150 that is, according to benchmarks, more powerful than the recommended i5-4590 but it still tells me my CPU does not meet the requirements. Of course, I am aware that some drivers could take advantage of Intel specific technologies which might impact the performance but it still looks a bit shady to me, I have the feeling they are promoting Intel rather than providing accurate information.
I guess this software just compares your hardware to a list that somebody put in there and not making any real performance tests...
And if that list is as "half-assed" as oculus communication it will be as "complete" :D

I really wanted it! Palmers: "Without Facebook it would cost more than 1000.-" already making me prepared for 599 Euro but of course including tax!!
As I am in austria I would need another shipping service that would bring my rift from germany to me so it would be close to 800 Euro!
That is simply forcing me to wait because it would hurt too much too buy it now :D

Nice, what is your shipping date?
Would be awesome to get some feedback from someone here!
Maybe you could persuade me if it is awesome ;) Cause, I could afford it but price pisses me off too much atm:D
I read from some people that looking a bit farther away in a racing sim VR results in a pixel mess :cool: And that with a DK 2 :confused:
ANYONE here that could confirm that?

...CV1 has not improved much over dk2 regarding resolution :speechless:
...but Palmer said it's soo much better :D hope he is not talking **** again :cautious:

As far as I am aware, the resolution is much improved compared to DK2 but I have no 1st hand experience...I think will be perfectly fine though.

Well, with all the pre-order issues many people had, I ended up with two pre-orders but the first one didn't fully go through (blank final price and no mail confirmation) and it's expected to ship in April. Since I thought something was wrong, I placed another one and by the time it went through, ship date slipped to May :cautious:
Oculus are now looking into the orders with blank prices as they are apparently still in the system so I hope I can keep the one with shipping in April ( as I still have the order #)

I know the price is high but 3 monitors + stand is still more than that so it's still the more reasonable option IMO for simracing but in general, the price is too high for the mass market. Then again, the PC requirements are not really mass market either :)

And the price is utterly ridiculous, it sure is an interesting gadget but that makes me re-consider getting a video projector instead.

I have a PJ...if you are going to spend so much money, get VR ;)
I can understand the disappointment of false expectations (the biggest problem for Oculus really) but those other options are simply not as good IMO and will not be cheaper.

I have a PJ...if you are going to spend so much money, get VR ;)
I can understand the disappointment of false expectations (the biggest problem for Oculus really) but those other options are simply not as good IMO and will not be cheaper.
Good point Galin!
Anyway I have to put the price also in perspective to the time I would be using this device! And that calculation is not making it better :cool::D
I will be investing in a really good Pascal or Polaris GPU to be VR ready in the first place...that will hurt enough for the moment :x3::D

Not cheaper, that is true and possibly more hassle but they cover other needs that the VR option does not, like playing fighting games with friends... There is also the fact that my right eye does not work, I know for sure it will not be a problem with a projector but with VR, I have read conflicting information and I wouldn't want to spend a small fortune to end up with something I cannot use either because it tires my left eye too fast or because the field of view is not compatible with my condition.

Not cheaper, that is true and possibly more hassle but they cover other needs that the VR option does not, like playing fighting games with friends... There is also the fact that my right eye does not work, I know for sure it will not be a problem with a projector but with VR, I have read conflicting information and I wouldn't want to spend a small fortune to end up with something I cannot use either because it tires my left eye too fast or because the field of view is not compatible with my condition.

And this absolutely is a valid point. Depending on your needs, you have to decide which option is best for you. I am just saying that for racing, space sims, 1st person exploration games etc, (non couch MP) VR is the better option when compared to PJ (and any other device for that matter)
One thing you need to remember with PJ is that you need to dedicate a room really and have the possibility of making it dark at any moment or you will not be able to use your PJ during the day.

Then I would definitely recommend to test a VR headset before buying one! I could imagine that causing problems :unsure:

And this absolutely is a valid point. Depending on your needs, you have to decide which option is best for you. I am just saying that for racing, space sims, 1st person exploration games etc, (non couch MP) VR is the better option when compared to PJ (and any other device for that matter)
One thing you need to remember with PJ is that you need to dedicate a room really and have the possibility of making it dark at any moment or you will not be able to use your PJ during the day.

Yes, the "dark" room is one of the challenges, then again, I live in Ireland, overcast or downright terrible weather tends to be the norm here and if it is not, I can still close the curtains. I also think a 3000 lumens projector should limit the problem. Now the good thing is that I live alone so closing the curtains won't annoy anyone, the more challenging part is to actually install the projector and use it in my small apartment which is the main reason why I am interested in VR

I know the price is high but 3 monitors + stand is still more than that so it's still the more reasonable option IMO for simracing but in general, the price is too high for the mass market. Then again, the PC requirements are not really mass market either :)
Not here, I got my 3 24" monitors for about $650 total (vs. $914 for the rift) and I already had 2 cause my PC needs monitors. I just built the stand out of chipboard that was lying around though so no cost for that.

I was budgeting the total (including whatever PC upgrade ends up necessary - ideally just a $20 usb 3.0 pci card and some DisplayPort to HDMI dongle, but maybe GPU or CPU) as under $1000, so now there's no point in me buying it until I can raise the budget a bit cause if my PC doesn't run it, I have nothing spare to upgrade that.

Last edited:
Not here, I got my 3 24" monitors for about $650 total (vs. $914 for the rift) and I already had 2 cause my PC needs monitors. I just built the stand out of chipboard that was lying around though so no cost for that.

I was budgeting the total (including whatever PC upgrade ends up necessary - ideally just a $20 usb 3.0 pci card, but maybe GPU or CPU) as under $1000, so now there's no point in me buying it until I can raise the budget a bit cause if my PC doesn't run it, I have nothing spare to upgrade that.

FYI, my USB3 PCI card (cheap one) is reported as incompatible by the config check (then again, the config check does not seem very reliable...)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 220 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 279 13.5%