Any Way to Save and Resume a Race Weekend in rFactor 1?

Google-Fu turns up no results.

Resuming a race session can be done with the replay in rF2, but rF1 seems to be devoid of any save function. This is an odd omission. Obviously, there are times where saving a session would be practical, or if you need to continue later on a long or endurance race, etc.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone ever worked out a way that this can be done in rF1?

Thanks.

Google-Fu turns up no results.

Resuming a race session can be done with the replay in rF2, but rF1 seems to be devoid of any save function. This is an odd omission. Obviously, there are times where saving a session would be practical, or if you need to continue later on a long or endurance race, etc.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone ever worked out a way that this can be done in rF1?

Thanks.
Not that I know of, sadly. I believe this functionality (as well as the ability to AI driver swap) is a main reason why people still play and mod GTR2 nowadays.

That said, if you ever figure out a way to do this in rF1, let me know!

AI driver swap is in rF1, no?
To my knowledge, no. IIRC you can "Toggle AI Control", but the AI driver for your car is always driving at 100% strength, even if you set a different overall AI strength for the race e.g. 95% or 105%. Which makes it kinda hard to use.

I'm a relative newcomer to rF1 though, so I may have missed something. Is there another AI swap feature in rF1?

To my knowledge, no. IIRC you can "Toggle AI Control", but the AI driver for your car is always driving at 100% strength, even if you set a different overall AI strength for the race e.g. 95% or 105%. Which makes it kinda hard to use.

I'm a relative newcomer to rF1 though, so I may have missed something. Is there another AI swap feature in rF1?

I am pretty sure you can do a driver swap during a pit-stop. It's been 12-13 years since I did rF1 offline, so I might remember wrong. However, I think that is one of many features that ISI carried on from Sports Car GT :)

I am pretty sure you can do a driver swap during a pit-stop. It's been 12-13 years since I did rF1 offline, so I might remember wrong. However, I think that is one of many features that ISI carried on from Sports Car GT :)
I will look into it! Thanks for the tip. I know for 100% certain you can do online driver swaps in rF1, but I hadn't thought it was possible offline – hopefully I'm wrong! Will try to remember to update this thread if I figure out how to do it :)

I would think is the same way. Change to AI Driver/AI Drivers name in the pit menu while on the track.
Just finally remembering about this again :roflmao:

I see the option to change driver in the rF1 pit menu, but since each car (in the mods I have) only has one driver "assigned" to it, I cannot change drivers. Do you (or anyone else) know how to assign multiple AI drivers to a single car in rFactor 1?

EDIT: Would it be something under "Driver" in each car's .VEH file? For example, in GTR2, the .CAR file (the equivalent to a .VEH file in rFactor) allows listings that look something like the following (taken from the FIA GT 2005 DBR9 files):

Driver="FG5 Christophe Bouchut"
Driver1="FG5 Christophe Bouchut"
Driver2="FG5 Nikolai Fomenko"
Driver3="Alexej Vasiliev"
Driver4="Stephane Ortelli"
Driver5="Antonio Garcia"

Last edited:
Just finally remembering about this again :roflmao:

I see the option to change driver in the rF1 pit menu, but since each car (in the mods I have) only has one driver "assigned" to it, I cannot change drivers. Do you (or anyone else) know how to assign multiple AI drivers to a single car in rFactor 1?

EDIT: Would it be something under "Driver" in each car's .VEH file? For example, in GTR2, the .CAR file (the equivalent to a .VEH file in rFactor) allows listings that look something like the following (taken from the FIA GT 2005 DBR9 files):

Driver="FG5 Christophe Bouchut"
Driver1="FG5 Christophe Bouchut"
Driver2="FG5 Nikolai Fomenko"
Driver3="Alexej Vasiliev"
Driver4="Stephane Ortelli"
Driver5="Antonio Garcia"

I genuinely thought it worked like Sports Car GT, where the AI-driver is assigned as driver 2 when you take his/her car. Hmm.

BTW, in regard to the original question: a rather perverse way to pause and resume a race would be to run the game in a virtual machine, and while the game is paused to save the state of the machine and suspend it.

Considering that RF1's system requirements are pretty low by modern standards, it should run okay in a VM—though fiddling with drivers to get force feedback might be a nuisance.

BTW, in regard to the original question: a rather perverse way to pause and resume a race would be to run the game in a virtual machine, and while the game is paused to save the state of the machine and suspend it.
Love your lateral thinking! Yes, you're right, that should be a way to do it. :) I can't wait to try this once I get back home to my gaming computer.

Considering that RF1's system requirements are pretty low by modern standards, it should run okay in a VM—though fiddling with drivers to get force feedback might be a nuisance.
Short answer – yes.

Long answer. :roflmao: FYI I have an Intel iMac with a Radeon Pro 580. and I actually run all my DX9 and earlier sims like RaceRoom, RACE 07, rF1, GTR2, NR2003, and GP4 in a Windows 10 VMware virtual machine with 8 GB of RAM allocated to it. I would recommend VMware because you can download and use it for free AND its "VMWare SVGA" 3D graphics drivers are quite performant with DX9 and below. Only drawbacks are some performance loss (as you would expect in a VM) and no GPU antialiasing.

BTW since (unlike Wine) a virtual machine is a complete Windows install, force feedback drivers are easy and exactly like on 'bare metal' – install the necessary software, and you're up and running. :)

That's kinda curious about force feedback, because I had no success with it on native Mac and in Wine, and from what I gathered it can't be done unless the manufacturer's drivers provide special support, which is not how it's normally done on Mac. But I guess the VM just talks usb to the device and has full control.

Also, VMware Fusion supports DX10 and 11 on Mac, depending on Fusion's version. It's not free, though, and idk about performance.

Last edited:
But I guess the VM just talks usb to the device and has full control.
Exactly!
Also, VMware Fusion supports DX10 and 11 on Mac, depending on Fusion's version. It's not free, though, and idk about performance.
Fusion is free to download if you register with an account – that's how I got the version I use. FYI I have also tried DX10/11 with Assetto Corsa, and it runs, but only with zero or minimal AI and on low settings. It technically works, but not recommended. This fits with everything I've read about VMWare's 3D drivers – I've often heard they work by far the best with DX9.

So I've been experimenting with this feature again, and talking with other people about it. And today I've just learned. Apparently the feature was discontinued for rFactor 1, and this carries forward all the way through Reiza's isiMotor2 titles up to and including Automobilista 1.

In AMS, I recently created VEH file entries with "Driver1" and "Driver2", I created talent files for all the drivers and co-drivers, I disabled "No AI Control" in the PLR file... still nothing.

So you can swap to an AI driver in the pit menu (like online) for Sports Car GT and for GTR 2... but not in rFactor 1 or Automobilista 1. Even though you can do online driver swaps through the pit menu in rF1 and AMS1. It's a damn shame. :(

Last edited:
I genuinely thought it worked like Sports Car GT, where the AI-driver is assigned as driver 2 when you take his/her car. Hmm.
Out of curiosity... Ole, since you're an rF2 expert... have you ever tried to do this in rFactor 2? I suppose that if it works, it would require messing with the vehicle files (Driver1, Driver2) and creating talent files.

Would be a real draw for rFactor 2, if you can do a GTR 2 style driver swap. :)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity... Ole, since you're an rF2 expert... have you ever tried to do this in rFactor 2? I suppose that if it works, it would require messing with the vehicle files (Driver1, Driver2) and creating talent files.

Would be a real draw for rFactor 2, if you can do a GTR 2 style driver swap. :)

I can't actually remember having done any AI racing at all in rF2, sorry.

Also, far from an rF2 expert. I bought it back in the day of 10th of January 2012 for 85 USD(!). But after spending a bit of time, in the game, I went back to rF1...
I think it was in 2017 or 2018 where RD had the last season of RDLMS. I raced there, and helped hosting another RD-league on rF2 as someone needed to step in mid-season.
But that's all I really touched the game until May 2020, and a couple of months later I stepped in to help out a couple of days in the rF2 club here, and I've kinda just... stayed with it, having to learn what I need to run the servers, do fixes and help the drivers in the club out.

So that means that I hopefully know what I need for that quite ok, but it also means I know nothing outside of that:cautious:

They do drive at 100%; but AI driving a human car with real physics is slower than AI with simplistic physics. More like 98% or so.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back