Cars Any way to mod Kunos Version of Lotus 98T data files?

I tried unpacking the data and I tried using AC quick car tuner.
The unpacked .ini files are just gibberish. And AC quick tuner cannot edit the files as I get an error that says car won't be loaded, check your data folders as there's no compressed data for this car. I assume it just cannot comprehend the encrypted Kunos original .ini files.

What I'm trying to achieve is to maybe lower the ride height more than the default setups allow so I could get sparks to work with the car. The default lowest ride height puts me at around 44mm lowest which is not low enough imho.

Solution
Yes setup.ini gives the range of available values from the garage but it does affect physics when you use them of course but not the base of the car. The parameter MIN_HEIGHT in car.ini also controls the lowest possible setting (even if you can go lower with your setup you'll get an "invalid setup" message)
Hope it will solve your issue there was a major bugfix in v1.11. There's still some minor ones that I detected yesterday (and being fixed for next update) but they don't impact editing cars.
Quick question. I tried lowering the ride height in suspension. Ini which is the push rod length. But when i repack and run the new config in the game, I'm still getting the old ride height. Am I doing smth wrong?

Thanks mate, the tuner is working now.

Quick question. I tried lowering the ride height in suspension. Ini which is the push rod length. But when i repack and run the new config in the game, I'm still getting the old ride height. Am I doing smth wrong?

Thanks mate, the tuner is working now.
You said you repacked the data file but did you delete the data folder? It depends on what you're using (content manager or standard launcher) I think standard will read from compressed if present but content manager has a checkbox option to use uncompressed data if it exists...
Not totally sure about this though!

Edit: it must be on your side, I just decompressed lotus98t data and modified rod_length and launched the game (did not recompress data though), ride height was 39mm/55mm vs original of 49mm/67mm with default setup. Then compressed data and deleted folder it's still OK for me!
Next version will bring the option to recompress data BTW!

Last edited:
You said you repacked the data file but did you delete the data folder? It depends on what you're using (content manager or standard launcher) I think standard will read from compressed if present but content manager has a checkbox option to use uncompressed data if it exists...
Not totally sure about this though!

Edit: it must be on your side, I just decompressed lotus98t data and modified rod_length and launched the game (did not recompress data though), ride height was 39mm/55mm vs original of 49mm/67mm with default setup. Then compressed data and deleted folder it's still OK for me!
Next version will bring the option to recompress data BTW!
I'll try again after deleting the folder and checking the CM settings. If it works on your end then there must be a way to make it work on mine.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Managed to activate the sparks animation by copying the sparks line from another car. I just need to get the ride height lower so it sparks more often.

I'll try again after deleting the folder and checking the CM settings. If it works on your end then there must be a way to make it work on mine.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Managed to activate the sparks animation by copying the sparks line from another car. I just need to get the ride height lower so it sparks more often.
Capture.PNG

Check that this option is not checked in CM. Anyway if data folder was edited perhaps your repacking did not update the modified file!

Last edited:
View attachment 482007

Check that this option is not checked in CM. Anyway if data folder was edited perhaps your repacking did not update the modified file!
I managed to do a little setting to bring the ride height now. I think there is a limit on how much rtide height I can adjust with pushrod . I had to mess with the basey to get the car to the height I wanted. I copied the basey and pushrod from another car RSS formula 1990 and I managed to get the car to spark. But I don't eant to mess up the physics too much. If I may ask, what really is BASEY in layman's term? I am struggling to understand what it means.

I managed to do a little setting to bring the ride height now. I think there is a limit on how much rtide height I can adjust with pushrod . I had to mess with the basey to get the car to the height I wanted. I copied the basey and pushrod from another car RSS formula 1990 and I managed to get the car to spark. But I don't eant to mess up the physics too much. If I may ask, what really is BASEY in layman's term? I am struggling to understand what it means.
I think it represents the position of the wheel center from center of gravity

I see, so if we look at for example the lotus 98t from the side, if I lower the base, it will mean the wheel will in a sense sit a little higher, which means the actual Center of gravity will end up being lower and closer to the road yes?
If you set it too high on closed car the body will "touch" the tires. On the other end setting it too low and the body will seem "detached" from tires. But it does indeed affect ride height. I'm a bit lacking with suspensions and would like if someone knows how to estimate static ride height from data files this way I could add it in the editor.

These values are often negative because y axis is upside. As CG is always at 0, lower value means center of tire is lower from CG thus CG is "virtually" higher

Last edited:
If you set it too high on closed car the body will "touch" the tires. On the other end setting it too low and the body will seem "detached" from tires. But it does indeed affect ride height. I'm a bit lacking with suspensions and would like if someone knows how to estimate static ride height from data files this way I could add it in the editor.

These values are often negative because y axis is upside. As CG is always at 0, lower value means center of tire is lower from CG thus CG is "virtually" higher
It seems I didn't need to mess with BASEY which was ideal. I figured out I just needed to edit the setup.ini and set ROD_LENGTH MIN lower so I could actually bring the car lower. I think I'd rather leave basey as default. I want to bring the ride height a little lower but would prefer to leave the basic physics of the car as original as possible. Kunos did an excellent job with the 98T.

I have one final question. for the changes in setup.ini, in particular the min, max of the ROD_LENGTH, am I correct to assume that the settings in here only adjusts what we can change in the game's UI setup page but it doesn't really change the actual physics behavior of the car itself?

You've helped me get this sweet screenshot, I am very glad. Thank you.
Screenshot_lotus_98t_ks_nordschleife_17-5-121-23-15-44-2.jpg

Yes setup.ini gives the range of available values from the garage but it does affect physics when you use them of course but not the base of the car. The parameter MIN_HEIGHT in car.ini also controls the lowest possible setting (even if you can go lower with your setup you'll get an "invalid setup" message)

Solution

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.8%
  • < 5 years