Any way to make the AI less stable?

I've recently found this game, and I've sunk way too much time into it, and amassing mods as well. But one thing I've noticed, is that any time I make contact with an AI car, it's like I'm slamming into a brick wall and I end up losing control. Making door to door contact with them has this strange bouncing effect as well.

I was just curious if that's just a quirk of the game, or if there are any files and/or settings I could mess with to make the AI a little more realistic!

Also I do play with stability and traction control assists on, though I highly doubt that would have any bearing on the AI like in every other sim

It is the ai torque stab values in the .hdc files.
To make the game not to demanding for the computers back then the ai cars use some simplyfied physics, and to compensate for that they have this torque stabilisation values for pitch, yaw and roll rotations and a lot of ai grip bias for the tires.
By editing and rebalancing those values it is possible to get quite human like ai.

It is the ai torque stab values in the .hdc files.
To make the game not to demanding for the computers back then the ai cars use some simplyfied physics, and to compensate for that they have this torque stabilisation values for pitch, yaw and roll rotations and a lot of ai grip bias for the tires.
By editing and rebalancing those values it is possible to get quite human like ai.
Thank you! Follow up question, where are the .hdc files? I've seen them mentioned, but I've found it hard to find specifics on some of this stuff

The hdc files are the physics and setup files for every car, found in ...race 07/Gamedata/Teams/*car or mod specific folder*
Most of them can be edited using notepad, but original game contents are often encrypted.
Torque stab values about 1.1, 1.12, 1.1 can work well, but often some more things need editing too, to compensate.
High torque stab and ai grip bias can compensate for a lot of ai "problems", but also makes the ai very non human.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%