DiRT Rally 2.0 Any tips for a circuit racer?

G-Slev

Rubbish Racer & Amateur Motorsport Photographer
Premium
Any tips for a circuit racer trying to get into DR2 guys? I am using an H pattern, but not heel toeing for historic stuff at the moment. Using a sequential shifter for modern stuff.

I find I am hitting the sides a lot. I am also finding judging gear changes difficult - I tend to stay in 2nd/3rd. Snow and ice are a lost cause - I am slow and don't feel in control.

Any suggestions for a good rally/car combo to get me up to speed with all of this?

Try R2 fwd car, Ford is quickest
Try any of R5 4wd/awd cars

For a rwd car on loose surfaces+Sweden snow+Monaco I recommend using H3 rwd: BMW e30 M3.
On asphalt R-GT cars (BMW, Aston Martin, Ford Mustang) handle quite well, circuit driving style works well since some of these are driven in GT4 class also.

Good setups on the cars can always help, stock tunes aren't that great.

For now avoid older cars that are often overpowered and things just are just worse in them.

Last edited:
Any tips for a circuit racer trying to get into DR2 guys? I am using an H pattern, but not heel toeing for historic stuff at the moment. Using a sequential shifter for modern stuff.

I find I am hitting the sides a lot. I am also finding judging gear changes difficult - I tend to stay in 2nd/3rd. Snow and ice are a lost cause - I am slow and don't feel in control.

Any suggestions for a good rally/car combo to get me up to speed with all of this?

I think you'd be best starting with the Lancia Fulvia in all honesty, it won't set your hair on fire but it will teach you a lot of the fundamentals. PJ Tierney on YouTube has a couple of really helpful videos about Dirt Rally 2.0 so it's worth looking him up.

Complete your first career championship in the Fulvia and don't be afraid to lose, in fact you could even try auto gearbox while you get used to everything else. I'd say an R2 would be a good second car after your first championship.

Just remember, slow in fast out!

As far as Rallying in general, it honestly just takes seat time/experience. As far as what you can do in options, etc. Your force feedback settings and wheel settings make a big impact as far as how the game feels and whether or not the driving is natural. I'm using the CSL Elite PS4 combo (on pc) and it took a while getting the FFB dialed in so I could actually drive. At first it was like you describe, hitting walls, driving all over the place, brake feeling way too sensitive etc.

After getting my FFB/Wheel settings set, everything changed and DR2 suddenly became the best feeling, fastest driving Rally Sim I've ever played and I don't see anything beating it right now.

As for how each car drives, RWD be light on the throttle, especially finessing through hairpins and tight corners, some I even stay in 2nd gear just to keep the torque under control. FWD cars I find that I have to "lead" into corners and drifts more, but they're far more forgiving as far as throttle response and maneuvering through chicanes. AWD it depends on how powerful and forward the weight of the car is. Subies are easy peasy, slightly slow shifting weight, Cosworth/Ford/Evo's are all tight, fast through corners but easily unsettled.

Sorry if this doesn't help, but I'm glad there's one more in the ranks of Rally! Good luck, let us know if you need more info.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back