Any suggestions for the best app to build race tracks in AC?

(omfg @garyjpaterson replied to my post he's my favorite modder omfg i have to be cool yea ok you got this)

*inhales*
*exhales*

thanks for replying! about blender... is it easy to use and if so how easy? i really don't want to spend that much time on track building and my main goal is an easy and time effective app. money isn't really a problem because i'm willing to pay the money for a good experience.
which app would you recommend for me, somebody who prefers easy with good results rather than hard long work. thank you.

(that went well. i think. i hope he replies so that i wont end up being the simp of race department)

I can't personally vouch for how easy Blender is to use, but being the best free 3d modelling software the amount of tutorials and guides are unmatched.
What I can say is i've never seen a good result from RTB. It will be simpler to use, no doubt about it, but that is the only advantage. The advantages of using something like Blender are countless.
Personally I'd much rather the ability to create whatever I want, however I want, and with options to improve and expand in future.

But if you value sheer simplicity over anything else then perhaps RTB is the option for you, maybe some others with more track making knowledge will offer an more informed insight.

(oh we're going cool mode yea ok no prob)

thanks for the reply, but did you like the text in the brackets?

1617634108834.png

i really don't want to spend that much time on track building
I can tell you right now, going the blender or even 3dsmax route will consume a good chunk of your free time.

But again, depends on what your end goal is...

RTB has a bad reputation because its not able to provide users any control over critical track building items, like mesh naming, UV unwrapping, smoothing groups, etc... You are also stuck using poorly made xpacks.

yea, i think i'll go with rtb because time is quite an issue for me. i dont really want to do 'work' which is more what blender and 3dmax are, i prefer to use an organized more simple software where i can also get good results. anyway thank you guys!

once i get to know rtb better i'll submit a post where you guys can write to me in the comments what track you would want and i will try my best (i have zero experience lol). this is gonna be free.

would someone be interested in something like that? again, i have zero experience but it's free, so nothing to lose y'know?

yea, i think i'll go with rtb because time is quite an issue for me. i dont really want to do 'work' which is more what blender and 3dmax are, i prefer to use an organized more simple software where i can also get good results. anyway thank you guys!

once i get to know rtb better i'll submit a post where you guys can write to me in the comments what track you would want and i will try my best (i have zero experience lol). this is gonna be free.

would someone be interested in something like that? again, i have zero experience but it's free, so nothing to lose y'know?

is someone interested?

Yes you can make decent looking stuff with RTB, but all RTB-only tracks i´ve seen so far are completely unoptimized, so the bigger the track the worse fps you´ll get out of it.
I´m not sure if it´s an RTB limitation or most people using RTB don´t really know the basic needs of an ac track. If it´s the former, rtb is not really worth the asking price IMO

Last edited:
I use RTB and there is a learning curve. To make more complicated tracks do take time. The biggest problem I have had is joining tracks. I've been working on the Milwaukee Mile Road Course and joining the oval to the inner road course has been a challenge. I do have a working track but it still has some small problems. I am happy with the program and the support network is excellent.

somebody who prefers easy with good results rather than hard long work. thank you.
(TL;DR If you're willing to stick with it, you're going to like the results Blender gonna give you.)

Blender is a program that will likely take quite a while. I've been using Blender for quite a long time. Granted, I've been using it for animation rather than modeling, but the process of making a model can be difficult. It's not impossible though, and if you can look past all the engine jank, and how archaic the UI can be, it can always provide professional results.

Oh yeah, and pro-tip:
  • USE ADD-ONS! A few of my personal favorites are:
    • Blenderkit, it's a free-to-download add-on with a bunch of free models, textures, scenes, etc, that you can use. You can pay a small monthly fee to unlock even more stuff (all textures are free regardless,) but you don't have to. I don't, and still recommend it for it's ease-of-use and reliability.

• MeasureIt, A free add-on that, as the name would imply, allows you to measure things. great for knowing how large an object will really be, preventing you from making something that is too large or too small.

• Looptools, makes making loops and holes while editing objects a breeze.

• Node Wrangler, A nearly essential Add-On that adds shortcuts for editing shader nodes (and all other nodes too, but they probably won't be relevant for track-building).
    • Archimesh, a free add-on that makes architecture incredibly simple. You're able to make rooms of various sizes, doors, windows, etc. It's great for both indoor and outdoor designs for buildings.

Also, depending on the maker of the tutorial, they can sometimes be frustratingly unhelpful. Blender Guru is great at making concise, easy-to-follow tutorials for environment modelers. However, I'd recommend watching his videos at 1.25x speed, since he talks rather slow.

Hope you have fun with Blender :)

I want to make a simple track which is 40m x 100m. Flat tarmac with nothing on it except cones. The only changes I will ever make is the position of the cones and the roughness of the tarmac surface. What is the easiest solution for me. Can I use RTB for this?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back