Any sign of the Indycar Nashville aka Music City track for rF1?

I'm trying to learn the street tracks for this season, to have some idea what the people are doing out there in the races. So far one track that is missing is the Nashville street circuit aka ‘Music City Grand Prix’. There was only one run on it, last year, but I kinda hope that someone somewhere might be interested enough in both Indycar and rFactor 1 to cobble up the track.

By any chance, has anyone heard of such an effort? Not that I want to pester anyone for it, but just to keep an eye in case the track materializes.

I believe there may have been work on a track mod for Indycar Racing II (yes, people still mod that game!) and another for AC. Possibly. Haven't looked into it recently, though, and my memory may be faulty. No memory of seeing anything for rF1, sadly.

Last edited:
@MJQT I now have another question. Where do I look for these new tracks for ICR2? Vague googling turns up either generic Indycar stuff (due to the non-specific game name), or lists of tracks accumulated since the 90s.

Where I would look is icr2.net – just took a look and found build threads with WIP versions of rare street circuits like Denver 90/91, 1990s downtown Detroit, and Nashville.

And for finished versions of tracks, check out the "Archive" on icr2.net :)

I should note that the physics for ICR2 are idiosyncratic, given its age as a game (e.g. no FFB, and you can't get wheelspin) and because they're based firmly in 1995 CART.

BUT... the racing experience is still great IMO. AI have solid pit strategy and they can take a main line or one of two "pass" lines on the left or right – which means the AI have less-than-optimal spatial awareness (although you get used to it :roflmao:) but can comfortably race side by side and navigate lapped traffic in a long race.

If you don't know the game, check out GPLaps on YouTube, who has an install tutorial and has ICR2 videos racing the 1989 CART season which show off what the game can do :)

Last edited:
Thanks again!

I actually thought of giving some of these older games a try—specifically ‘Indy 500’, both for historical value and because I have a memory of seeing a friend play it in the 90s. Plus, with Nashville my main objective will be to learn the circuit itself (to some extent)—and considering that many tracks are familiar to me from ‘TOCA Race Driver 2’ on PSP/Vita, I can indeed tolerate some game peculiarities and less-that-perfect physics.

I should note that the physics for ICR2 are idiosyncratic, given its age as a game (e.g. no FFB, and you can't get wheelspin)
BTW, a few days ago I finally hastily spun up ICR2, and hot dang the physics and the handling are pretty difficult. As in, I couldn't get the car into corners until I dialed the setup way to the turny side. Also don't know what's with the brakes on the car, whether trail braking is possible at all, and why turning is bad when braking but also becomes bad when releasing the brakes. I'm also pretty much guaranteed to lose the back end at the ends of both ‘straights’ in Nashville—though that turned out to be vaguely close-ish to reality.

On top of that, I think I'm traumatized by Papyrus' interpretation of the Surfers Paradise track—despite not even being an Aussie or a Kiwi. The elevation changes actually look more like those in Nashville, and the claustrophobic walls are just scary.

I might give it a bunch more tries just to get some racing experience and not leave it at circling the track solo, but dammit that game is taxing. Plus, from looking at the Nashville streets on Google Maps, the actual route should drive much more pleasantly than the ICR2 mod: the downhill angles at the south end aren't so dramatic and shouldn't inevitably cause traction loss. In the mod, that section is like driving on Bathurst in an Indycar, and not in a good way.

Last edited:
Just happened to find video of the Indycar Racing 2 Nashville circuit! In case anyone is curious what it looks like.

Last edited:
On top of that, I think I'm traumatized by Papyrus' interpretation of the Surfers Paradise track—despite not even being an Aussie or a Kiwi. The elevation changes actually look more like those in Nashville, and the claustrophobic walls are just scary.
I'm happy to report (I somehow only just noticed :rolleyes:) there are scratch-built versions of Surfers (1991, 1992-1994, and 1995-2008) by the wonderboy himself, Pavel69, on the ICR2 Archive website. So we'll both no longer have to suffer through that abomination of a default track :roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%
  • < 5 years