Any reason to avoid Free Sync monitors with NVIDIA GPU?

I'm still new to PC gaming. I built my first PC over the summer - it's an i9-10900k with a 1080Ti. I bought the 1080Ti used just to hold me over until things calm down and I order either the 3080 or 3090.

NVIDIA has a page on their site that lists every single G-Sync monitor (Ultimate, G-SYNC, or G-Sync Compatible). When I've been shopping to determine what screens I will get for my triple-screen setup, I'm restricting my research to the monitors on that list. But now I'm reading that in Jan 2019, NVIDIA announced that G-Sync will be supported on all Free Sync monitors.

Doesn't this mean that every single Free Sync monitor is also G-Sync compatible, and there isn't a reason for me to restrict my choices to the monitors on that list? That would sure open up a lot more options for me.

I'm still new to PC gaming. I built my first PC over the summer - it's an i9-10900k with a 1080Ti. I bought the 1080Ti used just to hold me over until things calm down and I order either the 3080 or 3090.

NVIDIA has a page on their site that lists every single G-Sync monitor (Ultimate, G-SYNC, or G-Sync Compatible). When I've been shopping to determine what screens I will get for my triple-screen setup, I'm restricting my research to the monitors on that list. But now I'm reading that in Jan 2019, NVIDIA announced that G-Sync will be supported on all Free Sync monitors.

Doesn't this mean that every single Free Sync monitor is also G-Sync compatible, and there isn't a reason for me to restrict my choices to the monitors on that list? That would sure open up a lot more options for me.
I am running a triple Dell S3220DGF setup with an RTX 2070. The Dell's are FreeSync displays and there is no incompatibility. I'm not completely sure if true G-Sync monitors would provide any additional benefit.

• Deleted member 197115

Hardware G-Sync is pretty much a dying breed.
Free Sync monitors are G-Sync compatible now. NVidia can put additional certification on some but even non certified work just as well.
There are different grades of FreeSync though.
- Standard
- Premium
- Premium Pro
You can check the difference between them here

Last edited by a moderator:
There is still a difference between Native G Sync support and G Sync compatible monitors. If you are buying FreeSync 2, odds are that is it G Sync compatible, and you will not gain anything earth moving by paying more for native G Sync support. There is definitely a difference, but you need to be running some really, really high end hardware to notice anything at all. That's just my opinion. I may be off base.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 308 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%