Any legit reason to buy a ultrawide when I have a 65"

Hi guys, I got a 65" Samsung TV Q60R. Its a 4k 60hz TV and It can do 120hz at 1440p and has input lag of around 6ms.

Using a fov calculator and having distance from screen at 50cm, I get a higher fov than I would with an 34" ultrawide.

Is there a reason for me to get an ultrawide?

Thanks for the input but I dont fully understand. Why would there be distortion at the default 16:9 aspect ration on my 65"? I'm not running a custom 21:9 resolution on it. Besides that isn't there distortion on a curved monitor as well? The curve is not that great from what I've seen on these curved monitors. So are you saying I should move the rig back more for less distortion?

Last edited:
move the rig back more for less distortion
Of course, more distance == less distortion but also less FoV.

Unless one sits at the center of curvature,
with distance to screen the same for every horizontal angle,
there will be some distortion. Some screen curvature is better than none.

Consider a sinusoidal plot, which is most nearly linear around 0 degrees.
sin(10) ~ 0.17; sin(30) = 0.5, compared to 0.51 for 3* sin(10), only 2% compression
but sin(50) ~ 0.77 vs 0.87 for 5*sin(10), over 11% compression, with 9% in that last 20 degrees.
Near edges of your 65" display, horizontal distances are compressed over 14%.

If you hold a straight rule diagonally over either left or right side of your display,
it should appear slightly curved.

Last edited:
Here's my 32:9 aspect ratio setup. It's at 3840x1080. Looks amazing imo and what matters most, the frontal view is great. I do see the distortion you mentioned but I dont think it's too bad. I'm considering having race telemetry etc on the top portion and move the game window down (it's not running full screen so I can move the window around)

Ps The FOV I still need to tweak.

Attachments

• 20210617_151042.jpg
    20210617_151042.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 369
  • Deleted member 197115

16:9 format in large sizes is just too tall at close distances, even my 42" bolted to rig felt off and uncomfortable for driving. 32:9 is much better, more natural option for on rig setup.
Plus with something like G9 you get VRR, up to 240hz refresh rate, HDR.

Last edited by a moderator:
At close distances, It's definitely tall alright. But that's if I use the whole screen for racing. I'm not planning on doing that.

I'll be playing 32:9 aspect for the bottom half, that gives me a huge super ultrawide aspect ratio thats even bigger that a 49" UW. The top half will be telemetry etc.

We'll see how it goes tonight.

• Deleted member 197115

At close distances, It's definitely tall alright. But that's if I use the whole screen for racing. I'm not planning on doing that.

I'll be playing 32:9 aspect for the bottom half, that gives me a huge super ultrawide aspect ratio thats even bigger that a 49" UW. The top half will be telemetry etc.

We'll see how it goes tonight.
That would limit you to windowed mode only, exclusive full screen is always better for performance.
But with that your utlrawide image would be in the center leaving wheel way too low.

I see no fps drop in windowed mode as opposed to full screen in my setup. Even if I did the fps is already too high to make a difference.

As far as your your previous post, up until recently the only thing PC monitors had over TV was variable refresh and (sometimes) lower input latency. With HDMI 2.1, low latency modes, and VRR, 4k 120hz there's going to be pretty much no reason to buy a computer monitor anymore as there are curved tvs too.

I dont follow your last sentence. If you're saying the game window would be in the center of the screen, it will be moved down as its windowed mode. Telemetry will be going above it. I really love my setup. Two super ultrawide aspect ratio stacked. And I can always switch to full 4k if needed for other reasons. Options! ^_^

Don't get me wrong there are some downsides. The resolution for the vertical would be limited to 1080. As top and bottom would each be 3840x1080. But its not bad at all and I love it! Isn't that what its all about?

• Deleted member 197115

From what I've seen curved TVs are thing in the past, is anyone still making them?
What I meant by wheel too low was for using utrawide ratio in full screen like on your picture in previous post, you have black bar at the bottom, which is not a problem with windowed.

Sounds like your mind were already made up even before your posted your question, so please disregard.

Maybe the immersion is not percived by enough people to continue making them. The distortion will still be there even with an uw monitor as blek mentioned. Just not as much as a flat screen, which to me is really not that bad.

And not sure I see understand your reasoning. The black bars are annoying, but the back of the wall is not? Either way, the breakage of the screen kills immersion. The fact that you can accept the bezel and the back of the wall but not the black bars just means that you believe the bezel afford you better immersion.

Either way, there will be no black bars when I finalize the setup as the bottom will be the game and the top will be information.

So far it seems like 4K gives me more options. You can make a screen smaller and wider, but you cannot make it bigger on a widescreen.

I was hoping to get a solid reason to buy an ultrawide but didn't see any so far.

• Deleted member 197115

Sorry, may be some picture will help explain better. This is typical setup with wheel "blending" with the image on the screen. So wheel position and cockpit image on the screen matches to what you would have in real car. With black bar at the bottom you cockpit will be moved up with wheel somewhere way down. Again, sholdn't be a problem in windowed mode as you can move game window to the lower portion of the screen. So you only loose resolution, perhaps quite a lot.
Screenshot 2021-06-17 174115.jpg

That looks fantastic. Yes, that's exactly the setup i'm looking for and you're right. Now that I am looking at it I can see how a uw can definitely be immersive. Well you just gave me a solid reason to consider buying one but I think it comes down to being able to move my 65" that close to the steering wheel. Right now, I am using the attached stand on my 34" tv and have it pretty close with my left leg going through the two poles... Not the best of position... And as you mentioned, yes I'd be losing vertical resolution but then i'm gaining more horizontal resolution. I'd be losing more than gaining but it wasn't too big of a visual downgrade for me. Thanks for the information and picture. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• 71F7nuwKgOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71F7nuwKgOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Deleted member 197115

I does look immersive, but look at the size of the cockpit and wheel on the screen, also pushing pixels to triple 4K can be quite a challenge even for the most modern system.
Plus as you can see the monitor is not above but behind wheel which let him move wheel 1/3 up the image on the screen.
Triple screen setup with more modest 32" monitors can be more sane and still just as immersive option without wasting on screen real estate.

BTW, they are not TVs, read his comments, I don't think you can make triple hdmi based setup.

Ohh, i'm not sure about that haha. 32" vs 65 that envelope more of your vision. I mean it looks so real! Initially I couldn't tell where the graphics started and where it was real. Hmm, maybe that was before he began setting up the graphics and fov? i'm not seeing the unnatural size of graphics on the screen in the video below.

But he does mention he would've liked maybe a 55" so the sides are closer to him and more realistic. I think having the graphics go below the wheel adds that much more to immersion. I know there is always VR but the pixelation I feel has some way to go to match monitors. And yes, they are not tv's they were Omen something. Probably closer to a monitor. But why do you say it's not possible with triple HDMI?

Anyway, I finally got my monitor mount setup correctly and will be trying my setup tonight. Can't wait!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%