Any advice for a beginner?

Hello everyone,

I have recently started to gain interest in sim racing. I’ve been racing in arcade games (mainly the F1 series) for almost 6 years now, on the pad and I’ve been decently fast.

So I was wondering what’s a good entry level steering wheel and what sim should I start with? I was looking at the G29, is it any good or should I go for the newer G923?
Regarding the sim, my pc isn’t very good but it can run for example F1 2020 very well. I’ve tried running raceroom, rfactor and simraceway and they all run well too. Which one do you suggest I should start out in?

Suggestions about things I might have missed will also be appreciated!

Thank you :)

Personally I'd suggest the Thrustmaster T300 as the best starting point, unless cash is no issue then go to a Fanatac combo.

If you are intent on Logitech then I supose it comes down to the price variation in your area, aside from some marketing gimmicks the 923 seems to be the same bit of kit as the G29....

Logitech are great until you try something better.....

Upvote 0
Personally I'd suggest the Thrustmaster T300 as the best starting point, unless cash is no issue then go to a Fanatac combo.

If you are intent on Logitech then I supose it comes down to the price variation in your area, aside from some marketing gimmicks the 923 seems to be the same bit of kit as the G29....

Logitech are great until you try something better.....

Thank you for your input. I will check it out more. I can already tell at first glance, the T300 looks a bit more “pro” compared to the G29 :)

Upvote 0
I have a TX (T300 is the same), it feels smooth to me and has just about enough force feedback. Others might say more expensive options give more precise feedback but I haven't tried anything better so I can't compare to anything. The pedals are nothing to get excited about but I have managed to work with them. I have stuck a bit of heavy duty foam under the brake pedal to give me some kind of resistance when I am around 85% break force (just gives me a guide to stop locking up unless I really press down).

Apparently the Logitech makes a certain amount of noise (knocking sound) when creating certain feedback (apparently geared rather than belts). I have heard this on other peoples YouTube videos where it is quite noticeable. You might want to investigate.

The trouble is if you want to go next step up like Fanatec, the cost keeps climbing.

I went for the Thrustmaster TX wheel and pedal bundle for £300 as a starter set to see if it keeps my interest. I had it clamped to the desk for a year but now I have a wheel stand to go with it which helps with stability.

Obviously my 'starter' choice of kit is not perfect by any means. I would say I am still getting good value out of my wheel and I think I have a long way to go on learning cars / tracks before an upgrade is required.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences who have upgraded from a TX or T300 set to something better so I can justify an upgrade ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a TX (T300 is the same), it feels smooth to me and has just about enough force feedback. Others might say more expensive options give more precise feedback but I haven't tried anything better so I can't compare to anything. The pedals are nothing to get excited about but I have managed to work with them. I have stuck a bit of heavy duty foam under the brake pedal to give me some kind of resistance when I am around 85% break force (just gives me a guide to stop locking up unless I really press down).

Apparently the Logitech makes a certain amount of noise (knocking sound) when creating certain feedback (apparently geared rather than belts). I have heard this on other peoples YouTube videos where it is quite noticeable. You might want to investigate.

The trouble is if you want to go next step up like Fanatec, the cost keeps climbing.

I went for the Thrustmaster TX wheel and pedal bundle for £300 as a starter set to see if it keeps my interest. I had it clamped to the desk for a year but now I have a wheel stand to go with it which helps with stability.

Obviously my 'starter' choice of kit is not perfect by any means. I would say I am still getting good value out of my wheel and I think I have a long way to go on learning cars / tracks before an upgrade is required.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences who have upgraded from a TX or T300 set to something better so I can justify an upgrade ;)
I have the same idea in mind. I don't want to go too cheap, but I still want to get something not too expensive to see if it will keep my interest.

I think it's mainly between the G29 and the T300 as the prices are about the same, but upon some research I'm slowly edging towards the T300.

Thank you for the input, it's definitely very helpful to hear from people with personal experiences.

Upvote 0
If the prices are near the same then definitely get the T300, Its like night and day.

Personally I've had three or four logitech wheels, mainly because that was all that was really available, But the step up to the belt driven T300 is huge. Could never go back.

Granted I have moved onto fanatec...but still, Ive kept my T300.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm still with my first kit as well (although many, many years ago I had a G25), I went with the Thrustmaster TX stuff (as initially I used my Xbox).
I think it's a good place to start with, not too expensive, plenty of used for sale too.
Spend some time finding settings that work for you, mod things if needs be and enjoy ! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
There's definitely enough force in the T300 / TX. When clamped to my desk it would sometimes get a bit out of hand where everything was shaking and bouncing.

I think sometimes with FFB less is more. You don't always have to be doing a workout every time you race. How about a chilled / relaxing drive?

Upvote 0
I'd just make do with whatever crappy pedals come with the wheel until you feel they are holding you back, and then upgrade to a load cell set.

Upvote 0
Yeah,

I think it's me holding me back at this point.

I could blame my tools but...

I need to see my times plateau a bit so I can see where I'm at first.

I'm using ACC results companion at the moment. It seems to be doing a good job with logging all my times with different cars and tracks for comparison and helping me keep an eye on my best ever times for each track.

I am still making massive gains just by putting in the laps.

Hardware upgrades are nice though. Don't get me wrong. It's always good to get something new and shiny to play with.

Upvote 0
Wow, this really blew up while I was away!

Thanks for all the input guys! My purchase will have to wait a while, due to some life stuff atm, but anyway. I think I’m more or less set on getting the Thrustmaster, now that I’ve read all your comments.

It’s great to see that there is such a nice community of people (or racers ;) )on this forum!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back