Anthoine Hubert 1996-2019

Paul Glover

I talk lots
hubert_rip.jpg

A sad weekend for the motor sport family which saw a crash in the F2 race at Spa that sadly ended the life of Anthoine Hubert.

On lap two an accident occurred which involved Anthoine Hubert and Juan Manuel Correa, unfortunately it was reported after the incident that Anthoine Hubert had lost his life at the age of 22. Juan Manual Correa has since undergone surgery and remains in hospital, he sustained fractures to both of his legs and minor spinal cord injury.

Hubert like many of the recent French nationals has come through the racing ranks, many were predicting him to be a future Formula One world champion.

Before the Formula One race today at Spa, drivers, teams and fans held a one minute silence which his mother and brother attended, both demonstrating amazing strength during such a difficult time.

hubert_bro_mum.jpg
This accident is a reminder of the danger that drivers place themselves in, not just in Formula One. Over the the years the safety aspect of motor sport has improved greatly, when a loss of life occurs it really shakes the motor sport family at it's core and reminds us there will always be an element of risk.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Anthoine Hubert during this difficult time.

RIP

Last edited:
It was such a terrible accident, I know motorsport is dangerous but that accident was terrifying from all the footage I saw of it the compromised sidepod that was hit that was the root cause of it all....its scary....just such a waste of a fantastic driver who would have without doubt made it to Formula 1 Anthoine Hubert 22nd September 1996 - 31st August 2019 may he rest in peace and race on that great race track in the sky with Ayrton Senna and Jules Bianchi

My heart goes out to his family & friends, he was obviously a likable young man and this tragic event has touched many in and out of the F1 paddock, RIP Anthoine Hubert.

Does this bring into question the impact design of the safety cell? We've seen high speed side impacts before that have not resulted in a fatality, so what/why did it go so wrong for Anthoine. I do hope this results in a review of the monocock design, we shouldn't be losing drivers in this manner with all our modern technology. We owe it to Anthoine to make sure it doesn't happen again.

[QUOTE="InsaneOzzie, post: 3035415, member: 10410"Does this bring into question the impact design of the safety cell? We've seen high speed side impacts before that have not resulted in a fatality, so what/why did it go so wrong for Anthoine. I do hope this results in a review of the monocock design, we shouldn't be losing drivers in this manner with all our modern technology. We owe it to Anthoine to make sure it doesn't happen again.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, I doubt there's a safety cell that could prevent a fatality when the impact is so very violent. To quote a BBC article I read: "There's only so much the human body can take." (or something to that effect.) Even if the cell stays intact, the violence of the crash can cause just too much trauma. Obviously, there will be a FIA investigation about this.

Tragic and heartbreaking. 23 years old... Motor racing is cruel, sometimes...

Lewis Hamilton nailed it when he said that people forget just how dangerous motor racing is. We see so many drivers get out of huge accidents that we think the chances of death are almost nil. It takes a tragedy like yesterday to remind us that these drivers put their lives on the line every time they get behind the wheel.

What I hope is Juan Manuel Correa recovers from his injuries as well he needs a lot of work ahead of him and I just hope the FIA Formula 2 team retires number 19 from ever being used again as a full mark of respect to Anthoine Hubert its like what Formula 1 did with Jules Bianchi after he passed away in 2015, they should have retired number 2 as well as a mark of respect to Ayrton Senna also but that was never done, Hubert and Senna and Bianchi are racing together now and I know the F2 teams will have to rebuild and I know the Sauber Junior team by Charouz and the BWT Arden team will be running one car each at Monza, and I feel as a mark of respect to Hubert grid slot one should be left empty for him and have both the BWT Arden lining up in P2 (effectively P1 because of the missing man formation)

Seriously some people dont understand the missing man formation, its what happened with Senna and Ratzenberger in Monaco the first two grid slots were left open....jeez....

Last edited:
Just on the friday I have been reading about Eau Rouge, after I have run into several images of very old Spa, of Turn 1, of Eau Rouge and other historic corners of the track, nevermind I spent reading and searching informations about Eau Rouge that friday , like almost two hours probably. Among the stuff I read was quote from Jenson Button given in 2002 saying that Eau Rouge is not anymore a corner where people are frightened and how it is much more a myth than it is actually that special one, because in recent years it was taken flatout almost as if it is a straight instead. Then I kept replaying in my head Schumacher comments on one very rare video with him and how he makes faces and immitates the position the driver is in while climbing up literally flying through that section with the words "you hit 270kmh here, and you look only at the sky". Imagine how that looks. Then the McLaren statue of Senna going through Eau Rouge, from all other corners?

"It is super fast uphill corner, almost considered as a straight, but yet it's a corner. It is unique! There is something special about it and always will be, for a reason, it's not only myth." I said in myself.

The next day as of result of complications while going through that corner by other drivers, triggered several bad circumstances which led to another in which as of result driver died....the point is, you maybe will drive it perfectly, which is what Anthoine did too, but once you are on the top of the corner you might be surprised, pretty much what happened with Anthoine, realizing it's not only you, and like Schumacher said I'll repeat - while you reach the top of the hill, you are only watching in the sky

Antoine Hubert, may he Rest In Peace!

Last edited:
Horrible tragedy. Our thoughts are with family and friends.

I know this is not the time and place to dicuss safety. But it reminds us that there will always be that small percentage of accidents that can end fatal. There is no such thing as absolute safety.

RIP Anthoine. You will be missed.

So sad, I can't imagine the pain his family are feeling, so nice to hear the french national anthem after the race, it felt like it was written, how long has it been since we had a French winner! (not a dig at the French just felt like a good weekend for it to happen)

He must have been an awesome talent and a great guy. Such a sad day.

So sad, I can't imagine the pain his family are feeling, so nice to hear the french national anthem after the race, it felt like it was written, how long has it been since we had a French winner! (not a dig at the French just felt like a good weekend for it to happen)

He must have been an awesome talent and a great guy. Such a sad day.
If you are talking about Leclerc's win, he is not a French citizen and it is the Monegasque anthem that was played ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 208 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%